What's new

the ethics of PIF

Is it ok to PIF products you personally wouldn't use?

• Heck yes! Let folks find out for themselves, they may love it!

• No - ebay it or toss it

• Can't say - it depends

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like the idea of Paying it Forward, especially because in my experimentation I've accumulated products that I'm no longer interested in, but others may end up liking. Because, after all, their mileage my vary.

But if I have:

1. a cream that I'm am convinced won't lather, or the smell is disappointing
  2. a razor that I tried but found to be too aggressive
  3. a brand of blades that I had bad experiences with

This could be a nice PIF, or a recipe for disaster for someone else. If a newbie is starting out, is it right to hand him a set that I wouldn't want to use?

Isn't it possible that in PIF'ing this stuff I could actually cause a newbie to have a bad experience and drop wet shaving all together?

No reason you can't put a disclaimer on it and offer it up anyway.

"This didn't work for me because of x, but maybe you'll dig it."

That way potential PIFees know what they may encounter.

What doesn't work for you may work for others eh?

I'd include a description of my personal issues with the product if I had a problem with it. That said, I think the best pif's are the ones for stuff you like a lot and want to share with others to spread the aloha.

I like the idea of Paying it Forward, especially because in my experimentation I've accumulated products that I'm no longer interested in, but others may end up liking. Because, after all, their mileage my vary.

But if I have:

This could be a nice PIF, or a recipe for disaster for someone else. If a newbie is starting out, is it right to hand him a set that I wouldn't want to use?

Isn't it possible that in PIF'ing this stuff I could actually cause a newbie to have a bad experience and drop wet shaving all together?

1. Theres lots of stuff I hate the smell of but other people love it.
2. Whats too aggressive for me is probably perfect for someone with less sensitive skin
3. I hate derbys but lots of people love them.

The disclaimer sounds good.

I can't see how anyone can complain about something that cost them nothing.

PIF and feel free to include any info that would be helpful.

Simply saying "this didn't work for me" should suffice in most cases.

I have some stuff I want to PIF that I can't use. I'm going to put it up that I can't use it because it irritates my skin. It might work perfect for someone else.

I had such a bad experience with Dorcos that I actually thought PIF'ing them would be wrong.

But maybe I should do it with a disclaimer. Some people apparently like them for some inexplicable reason.

The other thing I would add as ABSOLUTE in the ethics/morals of PIF'ing is this: If somebody PIF'd something to you, and you don't want it, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you SELL it to somebody else. Nobody should profit financially from a PIF. Pass it along the way it was passed along to you.

Right on kingfisher! If it doesn't work for you then PIF it again. Somebody out there may enjoy it.

I'm PIF'n some Cade shave cream right now because, well, it just sucks my soul out through my face. But, I explained it all and it seems that there are more than enough people out there willing to suffer as much as I have. Somebody even said they liked that shave cream. I shudder to think....

For me I'm not sure I would PIF something I thought was junk.
I PIF stuff that works for me but I have something better, eg

I have 10 TOBS samplers and I'll keep the sandlewood but the rest is ok = PIF

MWF could not get that to work = shower soap (it was great BTW).

Just my 0.02

Cheers

I always give an explanation as to why I have PIF'd something. Either I have too much of it, or the scent was just not for me, or I feel extra generous that day :rolleyes: or whatever. If something was horribly wrong with it I would never give it away. Once, I got ahold of some French Brut that had started to leech, and the color was separating, and I was going to toss it before I figured the fellas here might want it just to see what it smelled like, but I made it perfectly clear that it probably shouldn't be worn. If it wasn't so hard to come by, I wouldn't have done that. Other than that, if I get a bad batch of something it goes in the trash can. If it is a product that I personally don't find all that exhilarating, I usually figure that there is someone out there that will.

Simple yardstick I go by: if it's bad because it has gone bad, toss it. If it's bad because it just didn't work for you, give it away.

But if I have:

I see no problem with PIFing stuff you don't use. It's a good way to clean out the ol' shave den without throwing out/wasting anything and it gives a noob in need or someone else the opportunity to try something they may or may not like, but want to try. It also gives the noob a chance to dip his feet without laying out a lot of cash.

If something was particularly bad for you (say gave you a rash) then I think a disclaimer is in order. But, otherwise, one of the first things we learn around here is YMMV in all things. What's great for me may be horrible for you and vice versa.

So... PIF away!

i had such a bad experience with dorcos that i actually thought pif'ing them would be wrong.

But maybe i should do it with a disclaimer. Some people apparently like them for some inexplicable reason.

the other thing i would add as absolute in the ethics/morals of pif'ing is this: If somebody pif'd something to you, and you don't want it, under no circumstances should you sell it to somebody else. Nobody should profit financially from a pif. Pass it along the way it was passed along to you.

+1

The other thing I would add as ABSOLUTE in the ethics/morals of PIF'ing is this: If somebody PIF'd something to you, and you don't want it, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you SELL it to somebody else. Nobody should profit financially from a PIF. Pass it along the way it was passed along to you.

This should go without saying... nothing infuriates me more than seeing somebody get a PIF or a cheap deal on another forum and then come here and hawk it for full price or slightly less. There's guys here that do this still, but nobody ever buys what they're selling. That's ungentlemanly and unethical.

You "flippers" know who you are, now you know why nobody ever buys your stuff. :wink:

How many times have you read a post here from someone saying they couldn't get a decent lather from such-and-such shaving soap/cream. Yet someone else comes back on that same thread to say they don't have that problem at all and it works great for them. Why not PIF it because that might be the case as well.

And even if it gives you a rash, you could have a personal issue with one or more of the ingredients in that particular brand that few other people get. So even if it gave you a rash doesn't mean it will give others a rash or does it mean it's a bad product and should be thrown in the trash. There are many people who are sensitive to certain ingredients. So once again why not PIF it.

And if you just plain don't like it, scent or whatnot, PIF it. Someone else might really appreciate it. With the economy the way it is right now, you might be doing someone a really big favor by PIFing it.

just my humble opinion.

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with PIFing a product you don't like or won't/don't use. Someone may find that it is their own best or favorite. It is definitely better than letting things go to waste.

Top Bottom