What's new

The end is near...

The end of my time in San Diego, anyway. I have no small amount of concern about the well-being of my stash during the upcoming move, so I've started packing up a bit:

20180624_150132.jpg

There's the whole collection. About a dozen pipes still on the racks - those are the ones that will travel with me. Everything else is boxed up, and will be picked up by the movers in a couple weeks - I will be without their services for about six weeks, or until I get permanent housing established (whichever is longer).

20180624_153347.jpg

This is all the tins from the war chest, all boxed up. The ammo cans in front contain Esoterica bags (the .50 cans) and Salty Dogs (the .223 can).

20180624_153257.jpg

Quart jars of mostly blending tobacco.

20180624_153210.jpg

And finally, the majority of the jarred tobacco. This is my biggest concern area - my plan is to isolate the jars from each other with packing peanuts, then have each flat wrapped and boxed. I have the open stuff off to the side - that will fly in my luggage - but all the rest of the tobacco will be in storage for the same indefinite amount of time. I get sweaty palms just thinking about it...

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Bubble wrap...plenty of bubble wrap and packing peanuts.

Don't tell me you are complaining about moving from Kalifornia to Hawaii?

I hope you get a raise though...or get food stamps. I hear you need two suitcases of money just to vacation in HI...kinda like the Cayman Islands.

Bubble wrap...plenty of bubble wrap and packing peanuts.

Don't tell me you are complaining about moving from Kalifornia to Hawaii?

I hope you get a raise though...or get food stamps. I hear you need two suitcases of money just to vacation in HI...kinda like the Cayman Islands.
Oh, I'm not complaining, just a little concerned for my stash.

The housing allowance is a good bit higher in HI, but I don't think it quite makes up the cost of living difference.

Oh, I'm not complaining, just a little concerned for my stash.

The housing allowance is a good bit higher in HI, but I don't think it quite makes up the cost of living difference.

We just came back from a 15-day vacation in HI. We went to Oahu, Maui, and Kuai. One of the bartenders in Maui lived in San Diego and said he could not afford a house there but had no problem in Maui.

We just came back from a 15-day vacation in HI. We went to Oahu, Maui, and Kuai. One of the bartenders in Maui lived in San Diego and said he could not afford a house there but had no problem in Maui.
Unfortunately (from a "cost of housing" perspective only), I'll be on Oahu, just outside of Honolulu. Don't know what the market looks like on Maui, but Honolulu is pretty steep.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
@Price Oh, since you're going from the cold Ca. coast Pacific to warmer Hawaii waters, have you ever been scuba diving? I've "heard" that HI waters are not crystal clear unless you stay shallower, but not too shabby.

Here's some from Cozumel, Mexico. I took these not too long after Hurricane Wilma stalled out over the island so the sand was kicked up pretty well over the coral.

At about 85 fsw.

proxy.php

At about 60 fsw.

proxy.php

At about 30 fsw.

proxy.php

Here's a little video I came across from Kauai (not mine). The coral looks a bit wore out, kinda like Caymans, but not too shabby. I have some Caymans pics., on the external hard drive I think, and some video from there but the Caymans video is on VCR tape as are the Coz. videos.

When shipping homebrew or beers while trading, we would wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, place them in a bubble wrapped lined boxed. We also put the each beer in a ziploc baggie before the bubble wrap but I don't think you need to worry about it with baccy.

Next move I have I'l have to move my beer cellar as well as my tobacco stash. That'll be interesting.

@Price Oh, since you're going from the cold Ca. coast Pacific to warmer Hawaii waters, have you ever been scuba diving? I've "heard" that HI waters are not crystal clear unless you stay shallower, but not too shabby.

Here's some from Cozumel, Mexico. I took these not too long after Hurricane Wilma stalled out over the island so the sand was kicked up pretty well over the coral.

At about 85 fsw.

proxy.php

At about 60 fsw.

proxy.php

At about 30 fsw.

proxy.php

Here's a little video I came across from Kauai (not mine). The coral looks a bit wore out, kinda like Caymans, but not too shabby. I have some Caymans pics., on the external hard drive I think, and some video from there but the Caymans video is on VCR tape as are the Coz. videos.

Sweet pics, Mike! I've been snorkeling around Oahu several times, but I never got around to getting PADI certified. Might be something to look forward to...

When shipping homebrew or beers while trading, we would wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, place them in a bubble wrapped lined boxed. We also put the each beer in a ziploc baggie before the bubble wrap but I don't think you need to worry about it with baccy.

Next move I have I'l have to move my beer cellar as well as my tobacco stash. That'll be interesting.

Well over 100 mason jars making this trip - that's gonna be a lot of bubble wrap. :scared:

All my previous household moves have been CONUS, so I could just load up the important stuff (booze, tobacco, & firearms) and drive it myself. Can't do that this time, plus the tobacco hoard has grown exponentially since the last move.

Well over 100 mason jars making this trip - that's gonna be a lot of bubble wrap. :scared:

All my previous household moves have been CONUS, so I could just load up the important stuff (booze, tobacco, & firearms) and drive it myself. Can't do that this time, plus the tobacco hoard has grown exponentially since the last move.
The ones in the boxes shouldn't need much. Plastic package wrap and everything held tight like the shrink wrap they get shipped in would probably be sufficient unless you box them after that then I would use something to take up the empty space.

It is the loose jars that you're putting into unoriginal jar packaging that would be the problem. But knowing what you have in your cellar I would take every procaution I thought of because that is some primo unobtanium there!. :)

Also, PADI certs are great. I'm just shy of a100 dives which is a small number and I live in state with not that many places to dive. If I lived in a coastal area I would have a sail boat and be diving/fishing every chance I got.

No gratuitous chest pictures? For shame!

Edit- I see that your chest is currently indisposed....

Last edited:
Top Bottom