What's new

The elusive Bufflehead Soap

Bufflehead came out with North York at 7.00pm sharp. I was at my computer
ready and waiting, soap went to my cart and by the next instant it was gone.
60 were offered and sold out within 2 minutes. Obviously the soap is good, I
don't know if I'm more aggravated by not getting the soap to use or by having
it within my grasp and not getting it.

Yeah its pretty wild how quickly their stuff gets bought up, although with only 60 being offered its not that surprising. I think people are buying multiples too, which I'm sure is a bummer for those who are just looking to get one and couldn't, but hoarding is a real phenomenon!

I feel your pain. Same deal here. I'm pretty quick at the keyboard so I'm not sure what I can do better. :/ Has anyone tried North York and can describe the scent in general terms?

Unless it's been cleared with Bufflehead beforehand for a special cause, multiple orders will be cancelled.

Why not produce more? Pretty much impossible. He does this as a side hobby for the community while juggling a full time job that takes him away from home a few times per month and has a new baby at home.

Yeah, I jumped on and was refreshing the screen constantly until I got the buy now button to appear. I clicked on it and got through the payment process as quickly as I could. There was talk on another forum about how quickly they sold out. I think the actual time was 33 seconds if I remember correctly.

I actually managed to get one and I'm looking forward to seeing if it's truly a superior product or if it's just a case of wanting something you can't get.

I'll share my thoughts about the soap once I give it a try.

I did trade some emails with Justin at Bufflehead is he's a really nice guy in a very unique situation. I can respect his decision and I understand his reasons behind it.

Basically, he has a 10 month old and a full time job that requires him to travel about 50% of the time. Those things aren't likely to change in the near future. So, I mentioned possibly outsourcing production and he told me that he's had various offers to outsource the creation, take on a partner, etc. but, making soap is a kind of therapy. He get's a lot of joy from contributing to the community as well. If revenue ever becomes a bigger focus, then he will likely seek out some way to scale up.

In the mean time you will see his products in very limited offerings.

I'm picturing a soap made from bay duck fat. Looks like someone's hoarding the buffleheads ;-)

buffleheads.jpg

I have a tub of North York on the way but I just tried a sample of Bufflehead North York that I got from a friend on this forum. He already mailed it to me and a few days later it was announced that they were putting some on the site for sale.

This soap is incredibly popular on some of the other shaving forums. It's pretty well thought of and incredibly difficult to get.

The scent was rather nice even though I'm not a big coffee scented soap fan. But still, pretty good and enjoyable to use. I wouldn't personally reach for this scent, but that's me as some others here would absolutely love it. For me, I guess I do like it, but I'd choose another scent from them if given the option.

It took a while to get the lather I wanted or at least longer than I thought it would. I added water several times as this soap is thirsty. The resulting lather wasn't as rich and luxurious as I thought it would be. Very similar to the lather I get from I'Colonalli, a bit thinner and really slick. Not a bad lather at all just not what I get from some of the soaps I reach for more often.

Slickness was really great, in fact well above average in this area as the razor glided effortlessly. Really high marks here.

Post shave it left my face clean and smooth but not very moisturized so it's not going to knock Sudsy Soapery or PannaCrema Nuavia from my top spots. Some say that's what an aftershave is for and I find that hard to argue but when you use one of the ultra moisturizing soaps they actually change your face for the better. I see a noticeable difference in my skin when using one of the ultra premium super moisturizing soaps and I like it.

Overall it was an excellent shave and this is an excellent soap. I'd say it's somewhat similar to I'Colonalli in a different scent (which is a nice addition to any shave den). I'll likely try to get another in a different scent whenever they go up for sale again, but since there are so many great shaving soaps out there it's not something that I'm going to lose any sleep over.

Thanks for the review. I have Sudsy Soapery, L&L,Cold River and several other top
artisian soaps, so I don't "need" any more, but there is still several that I "want".
I'll just try again when another Bufflehead becomes available. As you stated, I also
like the premium moisturizing soaps.

I have a tub of North York on the way but I just tried a sample of Bufflehead North York that I got from a friend on this forum. He already mailed it to me and a few days later it was announced that they were putting some on the site for sale.

This soap is incredibly popular on some of the other shaving forums. It's pretty well thought of and incredibly difficult to get.

The scent was rather nice even though I'm not a big coffee scented soap fan. But still, pretty good and enjoyable to use. I wouldn't personally reach for this scent, but that's me as some others here would absolutely love it. For me, I guess I do like it, but I'd choose another scent from them if given the option.

It took a while to get the lather I wanted or at least longer than I thought it would. I added water several times as this soap is thirsty. The resulting lather wasn't as rich and luxurious as I thought it would be. Very similar to the lather I get from I'Colonalli, a bit thinner and really slick. Not a bad lather at all just not what I get from some of the soaps I reach for more often.

Slickness was really great, in fact well above average in this area as the razor glided effortlessly. Really high marks here.

Post shave it left my face clean and smooth but not very moisturized so it's not going to knock Sudsy Soapery or PannaCrema Nuavia from my top spots. Some say that's what an aftershave is for and I find that hard to argue but when you use one of the ultra moisturizing soaps they actually change your face for the better. I see a noticeable difference in my skin when using one of the ultra premium super moisturizing soaps and I like it.

Overall it was an excellent shave and this is an excellent soap. I'd say it's somewhat similar to I'Colonalli in a different scent (which is a nice addition to any shave den). I'll likely try to get another in a different scent whenever they go up for sale again, but since there are so many great shaving soaps out there it's not something that I'm going to lose any sleep over.
Great review and thanks for the insight.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Bufflehead has created a illusiveness by only making limited quanities plus using duck fat which is unique. This is a smart idea marketing wise since everyone wants to try some but there are not that much product out there. Same goes for some of the B&M limited releases, this way there is not a ton of product sitting on a shelf waiting for people to purchase.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My experience is about like @dfoulk, it's a decent soap but nothing to really write home about in the current artisan scene. I'd love to give a better review to a hard-working fellow Tennessean, but I actually PIFed the rest of mine for friends to try out. The scents were interesting though.

And I also agree with David that it isn't going to knock anything else off the user list.

Cheers, Steve

^ Same for me. It's good, and I would have preferred if there were stocks but performance is on par with good artisan soaps.

Top Bottom