What's new

The Edwin Jagger de89 Barley and The Merkur Progress are Hurting Me

The de89 and the Progress seem to be causing razor burn and all around discomfort.
However: The Merkur 34C HD and especially the Open Comb Merkur 41C/1904 seem to be giving me very comfortable shaves.

My current theory is that either the de89 and Progress are naturally bad at angling and therefore scrape the blade over your skin at a bad angle or that I'm not good at angling their big heads.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Any razors similar to the 34C HD and 41C/1904 (Open Comb) that I should try?

Hmm... I have never used any sort of open comb razor, but do have an EJ de89. Also, have no experience with a Progress. I find the DE89 to give a comfortable shave as long as I do not put pressure, and of course what blade I use. I would not give up, maybe just make certain adjustments. I guess I am not one to talk because I have a Razorock BabySmooth that has fantastic reviews, but the razor is not for me personally.

Must be what our faces can tolerate. My dad is able to take a 5-blade Gillette Fusion and violently drag it across his face with cold water and shaving cream. He ends up with a BBS shave with no irritation, no ingrown hairs, no burns, etc. If I did the same, I would end up on the news.

I have a EJ89 as well and find it to be quite forgiving with getting the angle right. I try not to overthink the angle and just shave with it. Only bad shave with it was when I pushed a Derby blade past 2 shaves. But since switching to Astra SP (8 shaves per blade), my EJDE89 is my standard to measure other razors by.

Good slick lather, no pressure is the key I think.

The only razor which comes close to the 1904 in comfort is the Oneblade, which might be overkill. I get irritation from the 34C in addition to de89 & Progress, & R89 & ASD2.
Good luck, Ron

What blade are you using - some (coatings I guess) give me a red rash and excessively dry skin!! I tend to use Shark SS blades which, at least for me, are fine - why not try a few blades? At least you could them eliminate as a factor!!! That's the trouble with the perfect shave - too many variables!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have issue with nicking and irritation, especially low on my neck. I just tried for the first time a PAA open comb that I got from someone here, and it might be the best razor I've used that's not a Slim. I have Merkur slant, Fine slant, Gillette techs, all of which seem to cause some bleeding. Today I used Shave Secret, Proraso White tub, and PAA open, and it's a winning combination. No irritation, the smallest of nicks, which is unusual for me. A great shave. I have the EJ 89 as well and it can be pretty irritating; a good razor but can cause a lot of irritation.

What blade are you using - some (coatings I guess) give me a red rash and excessively dry skin!! I tend to use Shark SS blades which, at least for me, are fine - why not try a few blades? At least you could them eliminate as a factor!!! That's the trouble with the perfect shave - too many variables!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've been using Astra and Personna blades.
Currently, I'm loving the Personnas. Smooth and cheap.
I use a brand new blade each time I shave.

The only other open comb razor that seems attractive to me right now is the Muhle R41 but I don't think I'll enjoy it so I'm going to wait.
I can't think of any other open comb razors I'd want right now unless you guys highly recommend something.

Hmmm that's a shame... I had great results with my EJ 89.

Not to be that person who looks for a date at a funeral, but if you decide to get rid of that Progress... just saying.

Andrew

It sounds like you need to adjust your angle? The 34ç and 41c user similar angles. The progress will be different depending on the setting and the de89. Will be different from the others. I have a few razors and I head to find a different angle on each one.

It sounds like you need to adjust your angle? The 34ç and 41c user similar angles. The progress will be different depending on the setting and the de89. Will be different from the others. I have a few razors and I head to find a different angle on each one.

It at least seems like I have an easier time angling with a smaller head.
Every shave with this 1904/41C gets better and better.
So far, the 1904/41C is my number 1. The 34C is my number 2.
The 1904 leaves me without a single cut on my face. It respects the lather's cushioning power.
I now shave before I shower and so I would feel the micro-cuts on my face when I showered and soap-cleaned my face, but nope, not a single cut could be felt after the 1904/41C.
I might be joining the Open Comb Brotherhood soon.
I wish the 1904/41C was the first razor I tried rather than the Edwin Jagger de89.

Top Bottom