What's new

The dust has settled! (mostly)

linty1

My wallet cries.
Those nacet blades! I thought I had found "the one" in the gsb but after seeing so many good things said about them I ordered two tucks just to try them out (yet to arrive). I'm glad you found a setup you are happy with. Happy shaves.

This really jumped out at me as our tastes are very similar:
I just received the SV 70th Anniversary soap today. I bought the A/S a couple weeks ago after trying a sample and loved it.

I suggest you take a hard look at the Semogue Mistura brush. I also have the SOC boar which I like a lot, but the Mistura a little smaller and wonderful to face lather with. This could be my one and and only.

I also have the Timeless .95 OC in both stainless and Ti. The Ti gets the nod, but both are great.

You mentioned the Muhle R41 GS. Again a funny thing. I read all the reviews and it kind of hooked me. I never even considered a R41 thinking it way to aggressive. I then saw that Maggards had just the R41 head for $25. I ordered it and put one of my handles on it and WOW. One of the best shaves I've ever had, and about even with my Blackbird SS but smoother. Had to order the R41 GS and glad I did. It must be the weight, but it gives me the best shave ever and no blood. I always do a 3 pass because I enjoy shaving and this is the first time I didn't need to do even a little clean up. I never would have guessed.

I just had to share.

This thread shows again what we all know: YMMV!

My experience with a Semogue 610 is 180 degrees off Nicksdad’s. To me, it has stiff, unyielding strands, minimal moisture and warmth retention, and inability to generate high-quality lather.

After 20+ shaves and other break-in attempts (repeated cold water overnight, etc.), it has improved somewhat, and the strands are more flexible. But it’s still very subpar. It’s out of rotation and awaiting disposal to someone more sympathetic than I.

I suggest you take a hard look at the Semogue Mistura brush. I also have the SOC boar which I like a lot, but the Mistura a little smaller and wonderful to face lather with. This could be my one and and only.

I've considered the Mistura blend, but my only concern is the badger bristles might feel as prickly as the SOC badger I temporarily owned. I don't mind scrub, but I can't handle the little needles.

This thread shows again what we all know: YMMV!

My experience with a Semogue 610 is 180 degrees off Nicksdad’s. To me, it has stiff, unyielding strands, minimal moisture and warmth retention, and inability to generate high-quality lather.

After 20+ shaves and other break-in attempts (repeated cold water overnight, etc.), it has improved somewhat, and the strands are more flexible. But it’s still very subpar. It’s out of rotation and awaiting disposal to someone more sympathetic than I.

The 610 bristles are definitely stiffer than the SOC bristles, but I love the scrub. I don't have the same trouble with lather, though. I soak the brush in warm water while I shower, which usually cools down by the time I'm done, then I run the brush under a warm tap before going straight to an SV puck for 10 seconds. The only water that comes off the brush is whatever gravity takes. Then I go straight to swirling motions on my face for 20-30 seconds, add a small dab of water back to the brush, and lather another half minute or so. I easily get enough for 2-3 passes.

My Zenith boar, on the other hand, was just as you described and I hated it. I just couldn't get that thing to break in.

I had a Semogue 610 or 620 for a few months, years ago. I really enjoyed it, but then one day, the knot fell out. Knowing what I know now, I could have easily repaired it, I think? I never had that problem with any of my 7+ other brushes over the years, so I have been hesitant to buy another Semogue.

I had a Semogue 610 or 620 for a few months, years ago. I really enjoyed it, but then one day, the knot fell out. Knowing what I know now, I could have easily repaired it, I think? I never had that problem with any of my 7+ other brushes over the years, so I have been hesitant to buy another Semogue.

I treat mine like it owes me money and it's (luckily) still holding up just fine. I've also got an SOC Taj, SOC Cherry, and 620 that haven't acted up, but they haven't been used as much as my 610.

Hi, gang!

After 18 months of sampling at least 80% of the popular items on this forum, the dust has finally settled and I’ve gotten the gear that works best for me. While it would be near foolish to claim this is the best gear in existence, I can fairly confidently say that nothing else out there is clearly better.

I’ve also settled on a simplified shaving routine. A single with-the-growth pass every other day after a hot shower gets me smooth enough for the girl I know and keeps all irritation at bay. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Now the gear. Some expensive, some cheap, but every item is (to me) the best in its class, and all of them combined cost far less than everything bought along the way. Such is this journey.

View attachment 1261750
Timeless Stainless Steel .68 Open Comb (plus the .95 OC plate)
What can I say that hasn’t been said a thousand times? This razor with the .68 plate gives one of the smoothest shaves you’ll ever experience, and the .95 plate provides just a hair more blade feel for occasions when you want to mix things up a bit. The open comb leaves plenty of lather behind for those who love to buff.

View attachment 1261751
Gillette Nacet Stainless
It was tough admitting to myself that I like this blade more than my Feathers, Med Preps, and Astra SPs, but the truth is I do. It starts off smooth and sharp and stays that way. It works equally well in both plates and never, ever, bites.

View attachment 1261752
Semogue 610 Boar
Holy friggin’ crap, this is a fantastic brush! The 610 made me purge my synthetics and my sole remaining badger, and caused me to buy several other boars just to compare. It also fully converted me to face lathering. A close second to the 610 is my Semogue Taj Boar. I love the way it feels, but it’s just a bit larger than I like for face lathering.

View attachment 1261753
Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
I didn’t like this soap at first because I couldn’t figure out what it was supposed to smell like. I was too used to all the soaps that claim to smell like familiar things — barbershops, rums, tobaccos, popular colognes, the ocean — and 70th didn’t smell like any of those. I finally accepted it for the clean fresh scent it is and now I’m kinda sorta put off by soaps that try to mimic other smells. Scent aside, the lather and slickness can’t be beaten by anything, except maybe other SV soaps. I rate my SV Cubebe about a quarter inch behind 70th, overall, mainly because I think 70th compatible with more aftershaves.

View attachment 1261754
It smells like the soap, goes on like a light cooking oil, quickly dries with zero tackiness or oiliness, and leaves my skin feeling silky smooth all day. The same is true of my Cubebe aftershave, so I know it’s not a fluke. SV seems to have perfected their craft.

I do still have other gear, but most goes unused and will soon be part of a final purge. Things I’ll likely keep on hand include: 1964 Gillette Slim (my go-to travel razor); Feather, Med Prep, and Astra SP blades (I do really like them); Semogue Taj Boar (it just feels so nice, even if it’s a bit big for face lathering); Proraso Green cream (it was the first soap I bought and I love the way it smells…also used for travel); and several aftershaves, too numerous to mention, with Acqua di Parma and Floïd Blue leading the second string.

Newer items I’m interested in include the new Mühle R41 GS and the Semogue Torga Premium Boar.

That’s it for now folks. Thanks for reading, and I wish you well on your own shaving journey!
I 100% agree with the Razor, and I think SV is a great soap, Nacet’s and I never got along, but if it works for that is all that matters.

Have you ever tried Ethos Shaving Soap, and if you want to try another hard soap the Unscented Canada is the best hard soap I have ever used.

Really glad you have your routine dialed in.

Doug

I 100% agree with the Razor, and I think SV is a great soap, Nacet’s and I never got along, but if it works for that is all that matters.

Have you ever tried Ethos Shaving Soap, and if you want to try another hard soap the Unscented Canada is the best hard soap I have ever used.

Really glad you have your routine dialed in.

Doug

I've never even heard of Ethos Shaving Soap, but will look now. Thanks for the lead!

Congratulations. Your choices that I am familiar with are great and I’ve only heard good things about the others. Our paths aren’t exactly similar because it took me a longer time to settle in and I will continue to use many of my other good products just not as frequently. My Timeless Titanium 0.68 as good as it is has become my travel razor or second most used. My choices are Blackland Tradere SB; a variety of blades with Nacet probably my favorite; a variety of brushes with a Rudy Vey perhaps being my favorite; a number of really good soaps but I can’t seem to stop using MdC Original; and still a fair variety of aftershaves.

There are so many great products and I am thrilled that I have now gotten past the paradox of choice. @NicksDad , you have learned this far quicker than I did and I applaud you.

As with you the Muhle R41 GS peaked my interest, but its reputation for harsh aggression held me back. I saw that Maggards sold the R41 head for $25, so I ordered one. What an eye opener. Had a great shave and decided to order the GS. The GS gave me the closes shave I have ever had. It is smooth and no blood loss.

The handle could use better gripping but other than that I couldn't be happier.

As with you the Muhle R41 GS peaked my interest, but its reputation for harsh aggression held me back. I saw that Maggards sold the R41 head for $25, so I ordered one. What an eye opener. Had a great shave and decided to order the GS. The GS gave me the closes shave I have ever had. It is smooth and no blood loss.

The handle could use better gripping but other than that I couldn't be happier.

I used an R41 Twist almost exclusively for several months and swore I would buy one if it was ever offered in stainless. I can't go back on my word, can I? I have to buy one now, right? In all seriousness, it may end up on my birthday wish list for next month. I do love the R41.

I have been enjoying both the R41 twist and the GS. Now i am waiting for my Timeless TI handle to arrive:)
It is hard to tell any difference between the two, but i feel the GS is smoother. Off course i need to justify my purchase, so it might just be my head playing tricks on me:)
I really like the Gillette 7 yellows in this razor.

Hi, gang!

After 18 months of sampling at least 80% of the popular items on this forum, the dust has finally settled and I’ve gotten the gear that works best for me. While it would be near foolish to claim this is the best gear in existence, I can fairly confidently say that nothing else out there is clearly better.

I’ve also settled on a simplified shaving routine. A single with-the-growth pass every other day after a hot shower gets me smooth enough for the girl I know and keeps all irritation at bay. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Now the gear. Some expensive, some cheap, but every item is (to me) the best in its class, and all of them combined cost far less than everything bought along the way. Such is this journey.

View attachment 1261750
Timeless Stainless Steel .68 Open Comb (plus the .95 OC plate)
What can I say that hasn’t been said a thousand times? This razor with the .68 plate gives one of the smoothest shaves you’ll ever experience, and the .95 plate provides just a hair more blade feel for occasions when you want to mix things up a bit. The open comb leaves plenty of lather behind for those who love to buff.

View attachment 1261751
Gillette Nacet Stainless
It was tough admitting to myself that I like this blade more than my Feathers, Med Preps, and Astra SPs, but the truth is I do. It starts off smooth and sharp and stays that way. It works equally well in both plates and never, ever, bites.

View attachment 1261752
Semogue 610 Boar
Holy friggin’ crap, this is a fantastic brush! The 610 made me purge my synthetics and my sole remaining badger, and caused me to buy several other boars just to compare. It also fully converted me to face lathering. A close second to the 610 is my Semogue Taj Boar. I love the way it feels, but it’s just a bit larger than I like for face lathering.

View attachment 1261753
I didn’t like this soap at first because I couldn’t figure out what it was supposed to smell like. I was too used to all the soaps that claim to smell like familiar things — barbershops, rums, tobaccos, popular colognes, the ocean — and 70th didn’t smell like any of those. I finally accepted it for the clean fresh scent it is and now I’m kinda sorta put off by soaps that try to mimic other smells. Scent aside, the lather and slickness can’t be beaten by anything, except maybe other SV soaps. I rate my SV Cubebe about a quarter inch behind 70th, overall, mainly because I think 70th compatible with more aftershaves.

View attachment 1261754
It smells like the soap, goes on like a light cooking oil, quickly dries with zero tackiness or oiliness, and leaves my skin feeling silky smooth all day. The same is true of my Cubebe aftershave, so I know it’s not a fluke. SV seems to have perfected their craft.

I do still have other gear, but most goes unused and will soon be part of a final purge. Things I’ll likely keep on hand include: 1964 Gillette Slim (my go-to travel razor); Feather, Med Prep, and Astra SP blades (I do really like them); Semogue Taj Boar (it just feels so nice, even if it’s a bit big for face lathering); Proraso Green cream (it was the first soap I bought and I love the way it smells…also used for travel); and several aftershaves, too numerous to mention, with Acqua di Parma and Floïd Blue leading the second string.

Newer items I’m interested in include the new Mühle R41 GS and the Semogue Torga Premium Boar.

That’s it for now folks. Thanks for reading, and I wish you well on your own shaving journey!
First of all a BIG BIG congrats to you brother @NicksDad on making it into the "Minimalists Club"! 😊

I couldn't agree more with your choice of soap, as SV is my favorite overall, as well. In my case it's Opuntia and Desert Vetiver, but on my next order I'll add the 70th.

For me, THE ONE razor is the Blackland Vector OC, but I sure can understand your attraction to Timless.

Many happy shaves!!

Top Bottom