What's new

The DIY "Moss scuttle"

Joel,
Thanks for the link. I agree that 10 cm seems somewhat small...especially since the bowl I have been using is about 20 cm in diameter. I wonder if they'd do a larger custom??? Hmmm...

teamacacia said:
Joel,
Thanks for the link. I agree that 10 cm seems somewhat small...especially since the bowl I have been using is about 20 cm in diameter. I wonder if they'd do a larger custom??? Hmmm...

Todd,
While it is possible, as is due to the high cost of shipping, a standard scuttle will set you back $70 or so. Make a larger one? You are talkin' big money. Another setback may also be the delivery date... as is if you order a "basic" model you are looking at a 3-4 week wait before it is shipped.

joel said:
Here ya go! They come in blue and brown. I got the "large" and it was a lot smaller than I thought it would be.... kinda small even for my PJ2.

That's interesting. I thought it was rather large, but I was using a mug before so that's probably why. To steal a phrase from Rich, I suppose that's what makes horse racing. It's much deeper than I was expecting. I think the large works great for my CH2, SMF II and Rooney small alike.

khari said:
That's interesting. I thought it was rather large, but I was using a mug before so that's probably why. To steal a phrase from Rich, I suppose that's what makes horse racing. It's much deeper than I was expecting. I think the large works great for my CH2, SMF II and Rooney small alike.

I like a lot of room as the larger "circles" allow me to make much more prolific amounts of lather in a much shorter amount of time.... the head of my Polo 12 fills up the whole scuttle, and leaves no room for it to move around. Not that it is "too small" for most of my shaving brushes, but for some reasone I had invisioned it being much larger. Below is it, compared to what I am currently using.....

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel,

I'm finding that whipping up my lather in my old mixing bowl and then dumping it into the scuttle works best for me. Yes, a bit of a pain, but "yowsa" that lather is nice and warm!

Randy

I made my own cream scuttle using one of the large mugs you can buy at Starbucks and a Japanese style tea cup (no handle) available at Long's Drugs.

You fill both cups with hot water, do your prep, and then remove and dump the water out of the inner mug, and plop it back in. The ceramic cups hold the heat well enough for four warm passes, though the last is not as warm as the 1st.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you shave in the shower because of spillage. Also, be sure they are the right sizes before you purchase.

The Moss Scuttle design sounds great, but I read the inner and outer cups are held together by the glaze only, so I don't see how they can last over time. Also, shower shavers are sure to shatter a shuttle, I should think.

Dr. Moss has a kind of moral patent on his scuttle design- I hope he'll soon open it up so people can modify it and try to improve its execution and price.

Joel,
After seeing the bowl you use in another thread last evening, I immediately understood why you thought the scuttle a bit small.

Harkonnendog said:
I made my own cream scuttle using one of the large mugs you can buy at Starbucks and a Japanese style tea cup (no handle) available at Long's Drugs.

You fill both cups with hot water, do your prep, and then remove and dump the water out of the inner mug, and plop it back in. The ceramic cups hold the heat well enough for four warm passes, though the last is not as warm as the 1st.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you shave in the shower because of spillage. Also, be sure they are the right sizes before you purchase.

The Moss Scuttle design sounds great, but I read the inner and outer cups are held together by the glaze only, so I don't see how they can last over time. Also, shower shavers are sure to shatter a shuttle, I should think.

Dr. Moss has a kind of moral patent on his scuttle design- I hope he'll soon open it up so people can modify it and try to improve its execution and price.

There's what we need...an "out of this world" shave!

Randy

LGarcia said:
I have no problem with the scuttle. I actually like it very much. My complaint was not about the scuttle, my issue was with a person who is bitching about it and doesnt even own one.

do you have lacy pink underwear? i don't. i also know that i wouldn't like lacy pink underwear. the same theory applies.

i have been civil and you are being a jerk. what is your problem?

edit - by the way, it seems a lot of people who have bought them either don't like them or are selling them. any updates from those of you that have them?

Joseph, I like mine. I have had it for over a week. I ordered the wrong size by mistake but I have used it. I find it effective for what it was designed for. I should be receiving the larger scuttle in a couple of weeks and will probably use it even more.

Andrew,
Did you get lacey pink undies with yours? Or did you just get a blue or brown chemise?:w00t: My goodness.. Testy aren't we? I am glad it's only an opinion and not something serious like a favorite razor.

guenron said:
Andrew,
Did you get lacey pink undies with yours? Or did you just get a blue or brown chemise?:w00t: My goodness.. Testy aren't we? I am glad it's only an opinion and not something serious like a favorite razor.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I custom ordered it in pink.

I've been using mine for a while now, and I love it immensely. My lather is warmer that I could have safely gotten with the mug warmer that I was previously using, but the lather does not get cooked or dried out from the heat. I always found that with the mug warmer I had to add a bit of water to the mix every so often. I use a 26mm SR brush with the large scuttle and it works just fine. The lather has remained very warm for even my longest shaving sessions, which for me can be 30 minutes when I have that kind of time. For reference my hot water heater puts out water in the 140*F range; I like hot showers.

S

Sam

Austin said:
Joseph, I like mine. I have had it for over a week. I ordered the wrong size by mistake but I have used it. I find it effective for what it was designed for. I should be receiving the larger scuttle in a couple of weeks and will probably use it even more.

Andrew, what you gonna do with the old one?

Sam

S

Sam

PM me. I have thought about getting one. I have a ton of stuff I am selling to get shave gear (i got a pen, a razor and some phone gift cards) like a brush and other stuff

Why not just buy some smaller stainless steel bowls from target or bed bath and beyond and run hot water along the side of the bowl everytime before applying lather. I rinse my face before each lather and the same running water heats the bowl, then the lather. BAM! hot lather for $5.

Top Bottom