What's new

The DIY "Moss scuttle"

is it all one piece or can you open it? I agree, I do not like the fact you can't clean it if it doesn't open up.

I'm sure it works great but it won't work any better than the setup that I currently have and it will be more cumbersome as well. Also, if it breaks i'm out $45 bucks. If my bowl breaks I'm off to Goodwill and out $1.

I'm sure it does a great job but just because you prefer something cheaper doesn't mean you are any less 'luxurious'...I think the moss scuttle is an eyesore personally.

I think the price is fair.

I think another potter could improve on the design, you just need a basic bowl with a handle and a plate/lid for it.

An eyesore, Joseph? A little strong, I'd think, but I suppose that's what makes horse racing.

It's two fused and nonseparable pieces, to my understanding, for maximum heat retention. I don't plan to use my Moss Scuttle for anything more exotic than water (and hot water at that), so I'm not too worried about cleaning, but I'm sure it'd be pretty easy to slosh soapy water around its insides if necessary.

-Rich

The scuttle is not ugly, but has a more classic design, like those brown English teapots. It is a very simple solution to a problem that has been talked about on the shaving forums for a long time, how to keep lather warm. Using a hotpot is a very kludgy method and takes up too much space. Not to mention possibly unsafe due to burns, etc. At $45cdn many guys have spent a lot more with various less elegent solutions.

The bowl is fused on to the rest of the scuttle, and as for cleaning the inside, you fill it with hot water every day... It is not going to grow mould or anything.

As for functionality it couldn't be simpler. Fill the whole thing with the hottest tap water. Boiled water will dry out the lather. Soak the brush in the top, take a shower. Empty and refill only the spout with hot tap water again. Make a lather, pump the brush to get the warm lather inside. While you are shaving try to push the brush down into the bowl so the whole thing stays warm and not just the tips.

After a long shave, the water inside is still quite warm when you pour it out. It works wonderfully. For $45cdn, you can't go wrong.

PoshRichM said:
An eyesore, Joseph? A little strong, I'd think, but I suppose that's what makes horse racing.

it's not like i think my ceramic bowl and metal dish look any better, i just don't think it is as luxurious as you described it. it is just a piece of pottery.

obsessis said:
it's not like i think my ceramic bowl and metal dish look any better, i just don't think it is as luxurious as you described it. it is just a piece of pottery.
True, and a razor is just a few pieces of metal, and shaving cream just some glycerine and other goop. We each see elegance and luxury where we want. It's all good. :thumbup:

-Rich

FYI......someone who paid $40 CDN for his moss scuttle was charged $57 US after shipping fees and conversion were applied. the shipping was about $23 US apparently.

$57 huh? I love the idea, but it is just too spendy for me. I wonder how much a local weekend pottery class would cost. Might be fun to make my own.

obsessis said:
is it all one piece or can you open it? I agree, I do not like the fact you can't clean it if it doesn't open up.

I'm sure it works great but it won't work any better than the setup that I currently have and it will be more cumbersome as well. Also, if it breaks i'm out $45 bucks. If my bowl breaks I'm off to Goodwill and out $1.

I'm sure it does a great job but just because you prefer something cheaper doesn't mean you are any less 'luxurious'...I think the moss scuttle is an eyesore personally.

I think the price is fair.

I think another potter could improve on the design, you just need a basic bowl with a handle and a plate/lid for it.

obsessis said:

How can you complain about it so much when you dont even own one?

I think the scuttle is long overdue. This should have been done years ago. A few months ago I walked into a pottery store looking for something similar. I feel that around $40 you can not go wrong. This should last you a lifetime as long as you dont drop it. If you don't like it, dont buy it and move on.

LG

this thread has certainly taken an interesting course, i read and replied to this with the notion of how to get a similar result 'hot lather' without spending 55 bucks or whatever the shipped cost is with the moss scuttle. It wasnt my intent, nor do i think that of the original poster to step on the toes of guys who have ordered one or to get into some kind of cheesey "my shaving regime is more luxurious than yours" and that seperates guys blah blah blah arguement. It also wasnt long ago when someone posted a picture of a vintage all metal 'double boiler' style scuttle, ie the exact same thing as this but metal so i dont think the wheel was reinvented here. Who knew a scuttle could be such a touchy subject

Personally, I think the Moss scuttle is a wonderful idea who's time has come. Gents who don't like it don't have to order it. I have not ordered it yet but probably will.

Wow, amazing what happens when you guys in the US find out what us Canadians put up with, and has become a fact of life, when we order anything from the US (which is just about everything when it comes to shaving supplies). Everything that passes through customs gets duty and handling fees on top of inflated shipping fees. The reverse is happening here. Deal with it. Ok you can hate me now! :biggrin:

I ordered one in sea color and am looking forward to getting it. I certainly don't blame anyone for not wanting to spend the money. We all have to draw the line somewhere. Here's my thing. As much as I enjoy shaving with a brush, soap/cream and DE razor, I always feel a bit let down when I start my second lathering and feel how cool the cream is on my skin. Having spent $200+ on brushes and $100+ on razors, I personally feel I'm in too deep to get thrifty on something I believe will improve my shaving experience and costs a relatively low 50 or 55 dollars. I happen to like the look of the scuttle. Mark TSSB's scuttle in the sand(?) color looked fantastic!

In the interest of clearing up the question of shipping charges I went to the UPS site and did a hypothetical time and cost estimate. Using a guess of 5 pounds total weight, which should be pretty close to after adding a box and packing materials to the scuttle, the total charges were just under $24 USD for standard ground shipping.

I ordered one this morning and got an email back from Sara within a couple hours saying that it would be 3-4 weeks to recieve one. I have heard that she often beat her estimated delivery time, sometimes cutting it in half.

On another note, I've been using the mug warmer route for about a month now. Even though my total investment was about $9 for the mug warmer setup I still want the scuttle because I like the way it looks, it doesn't require any electricity to use, and by many accounts from those who have used other heating devices it keeps the lather warm without drying it out. If another craftsperson decides to make another version that I like I'll probably buy one of them too. I guess that puts me in the luxury at (most) any cost category.:biggrin: Let's face it folks, anyone with more than one razor, more than one brush, or more than one cream is not only in this to save money. They're in it because they enjoy the luxury, variety, and nostalgia of the hobby. That's my .02 worth, and as with all things YMMV.:001_smile

LGarcia said:
How can you complain about it so much when you dont even own one?

poor logic.

i don't like the way it looks, i don't like the way it functions. i said the price is OK i just don't like it. am i not entitled to my opinion? my comments were in response to someone else who said it was 'luxurious' or something and i don't agree. I don't have to own one to figure out that I wouldn't like it.

joseph,

you have the right to say what you want, and you did. You stated your reasons and they were just.

Everyone needs to see each side of the idea. It is just shaving, let's get along with one another and enjoy our fun hobby.

mark the shoeshine boy

mark the shoeshine boy said:
...It is just shaving...

mark the shoeshine boy
Mark,

Isn't that treason or blasphemy or something?

Really though, I agree with you. Everybody has, and is entitled to, their own preferences and opinions... and it's about time that somebody gave the B&B equivalent to "if you can't behave then I'm going to turn this car around and we are all going home" in response to this bickering. Thank you for being the voice of reason.

obsessis said:
poor logic.

i don't like the way it looks, i don't like the way it functions. i said the price is OK i just don't like it. am i not entitled to my opinion? my comments were in response to someone else who said it was 'luxurious' or something and i don't agree. I don't have to own one to figure out that I wouldn't like it.

You don't like the way it functions? You said you made something like this yourself but for way cheaper. You used cermanic and a stainless steel. Good luck in life.

LG

Top Bottom