What's new

The Difference a Handle and Blade Can Make

I have always wanted to love the Gillette Old Type.

I have thin cap and thick cap versions, and the thin cap is noticeably better for me.

But while it is always a good, close shave, it has a tendency to feel a little more harsh than is desirable for a daily driver.

This morning, on a whim, I put a Perma Sharp in it, and the stainless handle that came with my RazoRock SLAB.

The Perma Sharps are a blade I have only recently tried.

I lathered up with Stirling Ozark Mountain, and was amazed at the difference.

Smooth, not harsh feeling, and zero feedback from the Aqua Velva. A BBS.

This combo could turn an occasional razor into one that makes the regular rotation.

I have always wanted to love the Gillette Old Type.

I have thin cap and thick cap versions, and the thin cap is noticeably better for me.

But while it is always a good, close shave, it has a tendency to feel a little more harsh than is desirable for a daily driver.

This morning, on a whim, I put a Perma Sharp in it, and the stainless handle that came with my RazoRock SLAB.

The Perma Sharps are a blade I have only recently tried.

I lathered up with Stirling Ozark Mountain, and was amazed at the difference.

Smooth, not harsh feeling, and zero feedback from the Aqua Velva. A BBS.

This combo could turn an occasional razor into one that makes the regular rotation.
I'm still working on a good combo. I have a 1910, 1913 single ring, and a 20s vintage old type. Just haven't found the right blades to make them smooth.

I'm with you - I like a heavy handle. I get good results from my Gillette NEW SC - which doesn't have a heavy handle - but I've considered putting one of my Maggard stainless steel handles on it.

Do you feel it’s truly the result of a new blade and handle or do you think it could perhaps be the excitement of a new experiment, leading you to focus your attention a bit more?

Not saying it’s one or the other, just wondering?

Do you feel it’s truly the result of a new blade and handle or do you think it could perhaps be the excitement of a new experiment, leading you to focus your attention a bit more?

Not saying it’s one or the other, just wondering?

I suppose that could be it.

But the immediate difference in smoothness was considerable.I have shaved with the Old Type many times over the years. I do agree that the effect of a new razor often does result in an increased focus and initial enthusiasm. Sort of a honeymoon period.

I have been at this wet shaving thing for a while now.

I think the combination of a heavy stainless handle and the right blade made a significant difference.

When I first started venturing into slant razors, many that I got were bakelite and I was more used to the traditional type razors and so I replaced the handles with stainless steel or brass handles that were heavier and longer than the standard bakelite handles. This worked great over that "honeymoon period", but lately, the metal handles have been replaced with the original bakelite handles or aluminum handles as I now prefer the lightness and maneuverability I get with a lighter handle. It was similar when I got my first Tech. It was a ball end handle that was heavy, thin, and short and so I replaced them with the stainless steel and brass handles. Then I found the Gillette Fat Handles which weren't as heavy, just as short, but more fat and once again I am a happy camper. I definitely agree that a handle does make a difference, but over time, so does your preferences and so always be open to trying new things.

Top Bottom