What's new

The dial of my watch has become blurred how can that be (I'll stay forever young)

Gentlemen I never was trained to be a sniper because I never had the qualifications for it, but as a young officer in the Swedish infantry I had no difficulties hitting smaller targets at a range of 300 meters with the Swedish version of the Heckler&Koch G3 7.62mm assault rifle without a scope. I left the service more than 30 years ago.

About 15 years ago I bought this Seiko watch with a lot of complications and a rather unique kinetic drive. It is a great watch, but for some reason I haven't used it much the last years. I remembered why after having used it daily for the last few days I am sorry to confess that I no longer can read the date, 24 hour time or day on it To be totally honest I have some difficulties to read the time as well. Polished steel hands on a dial that's largely covered with polished steel isn't the best for easy reading. I'm keeping it though in the hope that my son someday will find it to be to his liking.

What I look for in a watch these days is good lume, large date and good contrast between dial and hands.... yes it is called middle age and not everyone get the oppurtunity to experience it so I consider myself to be lucky.

20211215_150115.jpg

The Cyclops, even though some find it ugly, does a really good job for the readability of the date. And yes less, is more in regards to complications and busy dials.
How much do you want to spend?
View attachment 1378607
Out of contest but for me the essence of simplicity and readability…
View attachment 1378608
My 13 year old son doesn't know it but he's giving his old man the 39mm version of that Steinhart diver as a Christmas gift.

Yeah… I’ve been a fan of clean dials for a long, long time. I picked up a G-10 titanium, tritium lumed MWC that I’ve really been happy with. If I have to replace it, I’ll go with one of their navigators. I’d like to have a cyclops for the date, but I can live with the small number.

this is what the dial looks like at night without my glasses (The numbers don’t show, because they’re just painted lume, and it’s simply not good enough in any brand). Tritium just glows all night. I’ve never seen that with painted lume on any other watch I’ve owned, and spent all day outside with, and 20/15 young vision. but I’m stoked I can read the time without glasses.

07C0C571-8FD6-4B62-A8ED-E1D2B3DB57C2.png

Last edited:
The Seiko Kinetic Drive is great for those who wear a watch every day and move around a lot. Before I retired, I loved mine. I never had to wind them. They do use a special rechargeable capacitor to does go bad after a while. They are not as easy to find as watch batteries.

Once I retired, I found that I did not wear a watch all the time, nor did I move as much as I used to when working. I replaced my Seiko Kinetic with a Seiko solar powered chronograph.

Although it says solar powered, even placing it under a lamp is sufficient to charge it. A full charge will power the watch for six months in the dark.

It has LumiBrite hands so it can be read in the dark. It has a sapphire crystal to minimize scratching.

I you live near a Kohl's, they have them on sale.

I feel your pain. I never needed glasses until I turned around 42 or 43 and even then I tried to hold things at arms length to read them for a while until that quit working too and went to see the eye doctor. All my watches now are pretty simple, high contrast things so I can read them without my reading glasses if I need to. I've gained a new appreciation for field watches.

The 0.1 percent pilocarpine eye drops just approved by the FDA do help. I mixed some up and tried it (pilocarpine has been used for glaucoma treatment for many years). A drop in the morning and you're 35 again.

Hth

Bas

At about 48, the date got blurry on my Seiko. I already wore contacts for being near sighted. On my next eye visit, I was given a pair of multifocal contacts to try. I was sold on them. Not only can I read the date, I can read the tiny writing at the bottom of the dial. The only time I need readers is in dim lighting.

20211219_181542.jpg

Top Bottom