What's new

The Definitive Bay Rum

I have never purchased a Bay Rum scented soap. Hard to believe I know. :blushing: Recent discussions with the gang suggest this may be a worthwhile investment. The problem is...there are so many Bay Rum soaps out there. Would anyone care to venture a guess at what might be considered as the definitive Bay Rum scented soap?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
The issue with a question like this is...just about every Bay Rum soap will have a different spin on "Bay Rum" even if it is only slightly different. I have so many.

My recommendations for Bay Rum soaps/creams would be:

Captain's Choice Bay Rum (Soap or Cream) - A very true Bay Rum scent without much complexity. But definitely true to the Bay Rum scent. At first I did not care for this, but it was one of those things that won me over in time. Grows on ya.
Chiseled Face Bay Rum - An interesting take on Bay Rum that has real Rum and Lime notes.
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Atomic Age Bay Rum - Pride themselves on removing the clove scent. My wife is ok with Bay Rum, but this one she gives a solid thumbs up to. This is Bay Rum on steroids.
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum - In my opinion, one of the best on the market. They blend in all of the classic Bay Rum scents so well, the scent experience is just amazing...you're not sure which scent will reach out and grab you with each whiff.
Stirling Bay Rum - This is a nutmeg-heavy scented Bay Rum that's unique and wonderful. Stirling soaps often speak for themselves.
Wet Shaving Products Bay Rum - This is a Bay Rum and lime combination that is well done. I have the Formula-T version of this shave soap.

I could list others, but, in my opinion, the ones above are not only good Bay Rum scents, but also good performing soaps.

The issue with a question like this is...just about every Bay Rum soap will have a different spin on "Bay Rum" even if it is only slightly different. I have so many.

My recommendations for Bay Rum soaps/creams would be:

Captain's Choice Bay Rum (Soap or Cream) - A very true Bay Rum scent without much complexity. But definitely true to the Bay Rum scent. At first I did not care for this, but it was one of those things that won me over in time. Grows on ya.
Chiseled Face Bay Rum - An interesting take on Bay Rum that has real Rum and Lime notes.
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Atomic Age Bay Rum - Pride themselves on removing the clove scent. My wife is ok with Bay Rum, but this one she gives a solid thumbs up to. This is Bay Rum on steroids.
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum - In my opinion, one of the best on the market. They blend in all of the classic Bay Rum scents so well, the scent experience is just amazing...you're not sure which scent will reach out and grab you with each whiff.
Stirling Bay Rum - This is a nutmeg-heavy scented Bay Rum that's unique and wonderful. Stirling soaps often speak for themselves.
Wet Shaving Products Bay Rum - This is a Bay Rum and lime combination that is well done. I have the Formula-T version of this shave soap.

I could list others, but, in my opinion, the ones above are not only good Bay Rum scents, but also good performing soaps.
I'd say @JCarr is the one to provide a good response. I would add Mike's Bay Rum to the list.

Captain's Choice is very good.

captains choice bay rum truefitt hill boker stainless steel december 9 2016.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
2nd recommendation for Mike's Bay Rum. I'll have to pick it up. Thanks, comrades!

shavefan

I’m not a fan
It's been a while since I've used it but Mike's is very good.

As @JCarr mentioned, "Bay Rum" scent varies quite a bit. Clove, vanilla, cinnamon, bay, lime, and more, scents are used to a varying degree (if at all) by different manufacturers.

Last edited:
it'd be colonel conk right? It's one of the older shaving soap making companies ever i'm pretty sure. Gonna be picking a puck up soon so I'll be able to tell you once I get it what it is like.

It's refreshing that someone other than myself points this out as everyone that I've seen describe Stirling Bay Rum mistake it for Clove!! IMO, although I've not tried many Bay Rum soaps out there I was very pleased with Stirling and its what I judged every other Bay Rums by. I just used the Stirling offering yesterday and figure I've got at least another years shaves left on my tub and "WILL" be replacing it upon completion!!

- Mike's Bay Rum.
- Barrister and Mann.
- Stirling.
- Alexander Simpson Bay Rum shaving cream.
- Ogallala (not the best lather, but they offer wonderful scents and variations).
Man - my list is very close to yours.

Stirling
Barrister and Mann
Mike's
Mystic Water
Sir Henry

I need to try the PAA Atomic Age BR soap. The afs is great.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've never purchased a bay rum soap either, however the reviews of Ogalla and Colonel Conk get high praise here.

I love the PAA Bay Rum aftershaves, you can't go wrong with those, so I would imagine that their soap would be just as good you know.

My favorite is the Bay Rum from Cold River Soap Works - but it's not currently on the line up of products. I got it second hand. Great soap!!

Top Bottom