What's new

The Deep Sea

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Or the depth?

I wouldnt be surprised to know they dive deeper than 25m's and while I understand they pretty much live in and on the ocean, I guess I thought of them as a land mammal and not a sea creature, which they really are I suppose.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I wouldnt be surprised to know they dive deeper than 25m's and while I understand they pretty much live in and on the ocean, I guess I thought of them as a land mammal and not a sea creature, which they really are I suppose.
I was shocked. By LOTS of that stuff. Amazing really.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Wow. Emperor Penguin dive 1700 feet! Funny that the Sunfish dives to 1900 feet, in the dark!
also crazy that some species that breathe air dive to over 3,000 feet.

An Elephant Seal can dive 7,800 feet? Is this right? What the heck!?

At one point I stopped asking Siri to convert meters to feet and started asking her to convert meters to miles. Wow!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Off topic, what does your avatar mean; I see several members share the same avatar, and I am curious. Thanks.

I had to look that up about Elephant Seals diving that deep lol. That is surprising!

There were five founding members of BOSC. @ZiigZiglar left the forums before we adopted this avatar. The remaining founding members adopted this avatar but we all use a different version of it.

Jim, @Chan Eil Whiskers
Jim.jpg

Rave, @Raven Koenes
Rave.jpg

Cal, @Cal
upload_2018-3-31_11-26-31.png

And myself.
upload_2018-3-31_11-26-31 (2).png

@Cal has since decided to take a long sabbatical from online forums as well so there are only three of us left.

I understand it can be a source of confusion but its meant in good fun.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I thought this was interesting. This is a scrollable graphic showing sea life at ever deeper depths.

The Deep Sea

My daughter sent me the link a few days ago. It is one of the most amazing and informative and educational and eye opening and mind blowing presentations I've ever seen. Besides that it is way, way, way cool, and the best single page website ever.

It absolutely deserves a thread here. Thanks for sharing it with all the members (and lurkers).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm glad everyone liked it as much as I did. I got the link from a weekly email from the journal Nature that has science news and stories.

...oh, the pressure.
Pressure in the depths of the Mariana trench are about 1100 times that of the atmospheric pressure at the surface.

Top Bottom