What's new

The DE Video Is Up

Mark, thanks for the videos. The one on lathering sent me running for my brush and cream to work on my lathering technique. :biggrin:

Skyguy said:
Great job, Mantic! Only question I have is how come you consistently run the razor under the tap after just one pass, when you have that other side of that blade to use? I mean it IS a DOUBLE EDGE blade, right?

Habit. :redface:

--Mark

Hey, great stuff! I've enjoyed all the vids so far.

Just FYI, Merkurs are pronounced mare-COORS like the female horse and the beer. Probably doesn't matter much but thought I'd pass it on anyway.

Good show Mark.

I am surprised you don't get major irritation with the angle you implement while shaving...the handle of my razor is much higher up than yours. If I shaved like you, my face gets torn up something fierce.

TraderJoe said:
I am surprised you don't get major irritation with the angle you implement while shaving...the handle of my razor is much higher up than yours. If I shaved like you, my face gets torn up something fierce.

The razor used was a Merkur Progress, which "bows" the blade down when you screw it in, resulting in a much shallower angle for the razor. In retrospect I probably should have used a different razor.

--Mark

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Very good work, No wait... EXCELLENT work!:thumbup1:

I won't comment on your technique as others already have. Besides it is a developed personal preference that each one of us must master on his own.

What I really like, in addition to the well planned information you convey, is your videography. The old 8mm home movie clips and other pictures/clips are carefully selected and fit well into your presentation. I get the impression that this is a one man production, (no one behind the camera). If that is so, you have done an excellent job on your set up and editing. In fact I think it is better that you did it this way. Sometimes someone behind the camera only gets carried away with panning and zooming.

If this is just a hobby you have really out done yourself and have performed a great service. If you have professional videography experience you have still done a fantastic job and probably don't need to be told.

Thank you for all you have done. Hopefully this will get more people talking about it and jumping in.

Another great one, and I always love the neat touches you add to your videos. Can't wait for the "advanced lessons."

Mark,
I've got a pretty big schnoz, but never thought to move it around like you did in the video. Awesome ideas, thanks again for making these! :thumbup:

Chris

Mark,
I'm very new to wet shaving and I watched your DE vid before my first shave with my Merkur HD (Along with all the other videos). I am very, very impressed with your videos. :thumbup: They are incredibly helpful to newbies like me and so professional. They are actually how I found out about this forum. Keep up the great work. I was wondering if you had an idea when the next installment is going to be available, I can't wait to keep learning. :laugh:

A

AVB19Peace

Mark, first off, thank you very much and I appreciate your time and effort on all of these videos that you've done. I think you've done a great job on them.

Second, I'm a Creative Director / Motion Graphics Designer so please take my input as constructive criticism.

All the videos need to be tightened up quite a bit. I think they're a little long in parts. There is some great information on them, but who is your target audience? Hardcore hobbyists on B&B or newbies checking out what wet shaving is?

Talking from a newbie perspective, I would say they would want a little background information and what not, but they really want to get to the meat of what wet shaving is and how to do it. The parts where you talk about different blades / razors / brushes on other video could be tightened up and more time spent on the actual shaving process.

After a lot of research on this board and others, the consensus is the Merkur HD is a great razor to start with and some think it's the only one you need. The Merkur HD should be the razor used in the video.

Your voice over discusses the angle and how you can get that angle, but you never show it on your video. The viewer sees an angle you wouldn't use with the Merkur HD. During that voice over, I would like to see you showing the razor against your face and showing how to get the angle. Angle and pressure are the most important things with wet shaving so it really needs to be demonstrated. You've mentioned the angle and razor you used on YouTube comments and here, but newbies would grab their razor and mimic what you are doing on the video.

On all of the videos you shave extremely fast. If the target audience is newbies, you need to shave the way they should. It's not enough to mention you're shaving faster than they should, they need to see it. That's why they clicked on your video about wet shaving. You have been doing this and your skill is way beyond a newbie, but they will imitate what is on the video and go through a styptic pencil in one shave or a nice emergency bill.

The bottom line is this. You have to ask yourself, who is my target audience and what information am I trying to get across? If it's newbies than with all this great information on this board, pull all that together and determine what's the most important and spend a lot of time on that. Which, IMHO would be angle, lack of speed, and pressure. The other information is great and very useful once it's tightened up.

Again, I think you have done a great job and really appreciate your time and effort. Please take this as constructive criticism.

Awesome video!

One question, what are the razor blades in the upper left in the big plastic container that says "double edge" on it. These are the first DE blades I ever used (got them in the supermarket) and they are AWFUL. Would love to know what they are.

AVB19Peace said:
All the videos need to be tightened up quite a bit. I think they're a little long in parts. There is some great information on them, but who is your target audience? Hardcore hobbyists on B&B or newbies checking out what wet shaving is?

Talking from a newbie perspective, I would say they would want a little background information and what not, but they really want to get to the meat of what wet shaving is and how to do it. The parts where you talk about different blades / razors / brushes on other video could be tightened up and more time spent on the actual shaving process.

I have a comment to this post, while I am not knowledge in the graphic design field, You are clearly the expert there not me (No sarcasm intended whatsoever), but I am a newbie, who was brought to wetshaving and to this forum by these videos. I in no mean to step on anyone's toes or insult anyone, I mean this as constructive critism as well. I really appreciate the background information and I think it was important that I got that otherwise like you stated I definately could have ended up with a pricey emergency bill. I actually rewatched each video numerous times and took notes for products to get so I'd have my gear and lessen the risks to my face. Also, for me at least, a big draw of wet shaving is that it takes time, precision and thought. If we wanted a superfast mediocre shave, we'd probably reach for the gel, whip it on our face and pull out that handy dandy Gilette Fusion. IMO, I loved the background and I'm glad it took a while, I am grateful for every scap of info. That's part of wetshaving is the planning and preparation and it's important people know that so they can go in with their eyes open. Also as much as we love it traditional wetshaving isn't for everyone. We've all seen the commercials with a man in suit shaving his face on the drive to work. For some people, they will never want to spend the time to do a proper shave when they can be slapdash and fast with meager results. For example my brother, he would never take time to do the shaving routine that I go through. It's just not important to him. He's on the people in real life with his Norelco, shaving on the way to work. Wet shaving draws a certain type and the video did a great job of appealing to that type.
But I agree with Peace's assessment that a longer display of the shaving itself. You are an expert and you make it look so quick and easy that some newbies may get frustrated when they can't do anything close to what you do. The information was right on, but slowing it down would be helpful for all of us trying to figure out what you're doing. Also I loved the diagrams they were really helpful.
Aside from anything else, I loved the video's and you absolutely accomplished your goal of informing and enlightending and bringing people to wetshaving, which is demonstrated as you know by the huge amount of plays for each video. Thanks once again Mark. And thanks to you too, AVB, for your expert advice. Anything to bring in more converts is great!:smile:

A

AVB19Peace

Hey Tim, I appreciate your comments and do agree with you. I'm not saying you did this, but I know how these things go on message boards where someone reads your comment and replies to that and doesn't actually read what originally was written.

To be clear, I did not state that the ancillary information shouldn't be in the video. I think it's great and it should be in there. I just feel it needs to be tightened up a bit and more time spent on the actual shave.

Again, Mark, I think you did a great job and appreciate your time and effort you are putting into this.

Gents-- To address the concerns of the shaving angle, I'm going to make a "part 2" of the single blade shaving video. However, before I do, I want to see if it meets with y'all's approval. I shot a quickie test video using a long-handle, non-bowed (like the Progress) razor--in this case a Parker 90R with a Derby blade. The test video is here (its a "private" video not accessable by the usual YouTube methods). Please let me know if this is more like what you were expecting.

--Mark

Top Bottom