What's new

The day my wife understood the value of a CCW

We live in a small town and not much goes on around here. My wife works form home and I am in outside sales in an area that is rural in nature. We don't go to the larger metropolitan areas, we stay around home for the most part and shop local or order on-line. A few months ago we were invited to a small social distanced get together. My wife asked what we should bring and as a joke my son said we should bring a cake from a bakery in an area where we used to live many years ago. Having been cooped up my wife said we should get the cake which is a couple hours away in a large city. We drove down and picked the cake up without any problems. Then it happened, as we were driving to the interstate we decided to take a small detour and go through the downtown to visit some of the old areas where we grew up. As we approached the capital an impromptu group of demonstrators started to assemble in the middle of the street. They were just starting to edge in traffic and were going to block the road. I made the decision, went through the light and told my wife I would not let them pull us from the car and if necessary I would defend her and myself. I didn't try to play hero, I retreated as fast as I could and followed protocol. She had her had on the phone and was ready to dial 911 as necessary to record the incident. As we drove home she decided that she was ready to take her CCW. She since has gone through the training, spent some time with me at the range, purchased a pistol, and signed up for additional training. Bottom line: The bad guys can be anywhere, you have to be ready.

As a side note she was out to dinner with a few friends the other night and they were discussing shootings and were wondering why multiple shots are fired in a police incident. My wife pulled out her CCW and explained: You don't stop firing until the threat is down, wounding is not an option. I am sure the instructor would have been pleased at her response.

It is a simple fact that evil exists. I would never insist that my wife has her carry permit, but I am certainly glad that she does.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yeah. Rioter here jumped on somebody's car, they got a ride. Slow speed, the all-black-wearing rioter - I won't call them protestor - wouldn't stop taking selfies as they drove. Apparently these selfies have great value in that community. Rioter was unhurt, but charged. Mysteriously, charges were dropped, as this person got a free high-end legal defense and the driver may have been intimidated by the community. Bet he wished he was armed that day.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Until someone actively enters my car or points a firearm or other projectile weapon at me being armed really is irrelevant beyond personal comfort. If an instance such as you describe should happen I'd call 911 and proceed in a manner that cannot be construed as attacking or even intimidating the hood on the hood.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Pepper is not only a condiment!
Avoid any areas where problem could arise.
It's just going to get worse...... too many lazy and crazy ppl around

Lol'd. :)

I don't know why people have to have an experience of surviving a traumatic or dangerous event, before they decide to be responsible for their personal safety. The time to come to that conclusion imo, is when it's just a normal everyday, lifestyle decision.

My wife has carried a pistol for 15-18 years now. When we discussed her carrying all those years ago, the conversation wasn't because times were evil or peaceful.

The conversation was more like, "I plan on keeping my personal space peaceful. If your plans don't fit in with my plans, I suggest you stay the hell away from my personal space."

"Have A Nice Day!" :)

Sorry that you had a bad experience in the city.

But I don't understand some of your assumptions.

Why did you think you were in any danger?

Why did you think anyone would try to pull you from your car?

How do you know the demonstrators are "bad guys?"

I live in a big city that is also a seat of government, and have been on the sidelines of many demonstrations and in the middle of a good number. There are things worth raising one's voice about.

If a demonstration was a threat to you, and a suitable response to a perceived threat is to shoot until it stops, we are in trouble.

OkieStubble

If a demonstration was a threat to you, and a suitable response to a perceived threat is to shoot until it stops, we are in trouble.

I have seen quite a few videos of “demonstrations”. Where demonstrators or agitators or someone, with “a label”. Has yanked people out of their cars and/ shot at cars attempting to flee.

I think most here posting, are on the side of being prepared for whatever, peaceful and non peaceful.

I don’t think the member you are referring to in your post has mentioned anything about shooting at perceptions of anything. Those are your words sir, not his.

This is a firearms forum, where we discuss firearms for sporting, self defense and general recreation and the accessories and tactics of such.

We all need to refrain from political arguments and from Attempting to debate the events from the societal strife we see on T.V.

No good can come from it.

Last edited:
The problem is that thieves and other bad guys take advantage of protests by committing nefarious acts. That's why ATMs were blown apart with illegal fireworks and gun stores were robbed. The perps really didn't care about George Floyd.

In my city, one ATM thief was killed by his explosives, and a gun store owner killed an armed robber.

Sorry that you had a bad experience in the city.

But I don't understand some of your assumptions.

Why did you think you were in any danger?

Why did you think anyone would try to pull you from your car?

How do you know the demonstrators are "bad guys?"

I live in a big city that is also a seat of government, and have been on the sidelines of many demonstrations and in the middle of a good number. There are things worth raising one's voice about.

The demonstrators had the opportunity to protest in an area adjacent to the street. It was 5 lanes with two going east and two going west and a turn lane in the middle. They chose to block the turn lane and were assembling in the middle of the road and were pushing into traffic. Since they starting entering moving traffic I did exactly what a CCW permit requires, I got out of the area as quickly as I could without confrontation.

You are required by law to take an 8 hour class in order to get your permit where I live. Laws and situations are taught and the responsibility of having a weapon is made clear. It would have only become a shooting situation if they had attacked our car and tried to pull us out. Fortunately, it didn't come to that.

With regard to firing until the threat is down, that had to do primarily with officer involved incidents. A co-worker of my wife was wondering why police fire multiple rounds during an altercation. Her instructor made it clear that it's protocol in that situation. He explained that wounding someone doesn't prevent them from trying to kill you.

To me this is the true value of a CCW. You have the responsibility to retreat. Property isn't included in defense and can be replaced.

I don't look for confrontation I seek to avoid it, but I will defend my life and my families, it's my responsibility and I take it seriously.

Pepper is not only a condiment!
Avoid any areas where problem could arise.
It's just going to get worse...... too many lazy and crazy ppl around

My wife doesn't carry, but I do. I firmly believe in avoiding problem areas. We have a few areas in town that are full of criminal and a few where if there is civil unrest that's going to be the place (shopping district around here where the thieves can still stuff). I tend to avoid these places anyway. If I get caught and I'm trying to get my family to safety, God help the man who stands in my way.

OkieStubble

My wife doesn't carry, but I do. I firmly believe in avoiding problem areas. We have a few areas in town that are full of criminal and a few where if there is civil unrest that's going to be the place (shopping district around here where the thieves can still stuff). I tend to avoid these places anyway. If I get caught and I'm trying to get my family to safety, God help the man who stands in my way.

Great post @PreachTheWord. This is exactly what 99.9% of all law abiding citizens do and think while carrying for self defense.

I think a good number of people are l comfortable living life unaware of their mortality and the reality that bad things can happen. You can unknowingly drive down a road into an unknown situation that makes you question your safety, prompting you to decide to get training and make a choice regarding your personal responsibility for your safety. This is no different to me than someone seeing a house fire in their neighborhood and opting to buy fire extinguishers and changing smoke detector batteries.

It’s never a comfortable thought to ponder that around the corner and down the street there might be mix of people assembled in a crowd with varying motives that can change like the wind and become dangerous. Seeking training and learning how to best react/respond to such conditions is a wise choice. None of this is pleasant, but it’s smart to know what to do and have confidence in your training and instincts. Avoid avoid avoid, retreat if you couldn’t avoid, and if you can’t retreat, know your limited options.

As a former defensive pistol instructor and CCW licensee, I’ve been more uncomfortable with the idea of going certain places due to current unrest more so than any pandemic related threats. I don’t want to be in this situations armed or unarmed, I don’t want to have to use my gun and I don’t want my life to change forever.

I grew up in East St. Louis, IL. The reality of my upbringing is that life is short. Bad things happened to good people all of the time (and we knew a lot of those good people). Just walking to school could be dangerous (street gangs). I have never had the luxury of being unaware of reality. I married a woman who is just the opposite. She lives life as if nothing will ever happen, I live my life as if something is going to happen at any minute.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As a former defensive pistol instructor and CCW licensee, I’ve been more uncomfortable with the idea of going certain places due to current unrest more so than any pandemic related threats. I don’t want to be in this situations armed or unarmed, I don’t want to have to use my gun and I don’t want my life to change forever.

A common admonition to avoid trouble: "Don't go to stupid places with (or where) stupid people are doing stupid things".

I grew up in East St. Louis, IL. The reality of my upbringing is that life is short. Bad things happened to good people all of the time (and we knew a lot of those good people). Just walking to school could be dangerous (street gangs). I have never had the luxury of being unaware of reality. I married a woman who is just the opposite. She lives life as if nothing will ever happen, I live my life as if something is going to happen at any minute.

East St. Louis guy here, too. Cahokia public schools from Kindergarten to 7th grade. I've been desensitized to explosive and sudden violence since childhood.

Top Bottom