What's new

The Dark Side PIF

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
WeHaveCookies.jpg
Okay, we don’t necessarily have cookies…I mean we do, but I’m more likely to share a razor than a cookie….but I digress.

This PIF is for those of you DE users who have been enjoying your shaves, but who have been thinking about, occasionally contemplating, or on the verge of obsessing over what it would be like to shave with an SE razor. If so, then this PIF is for you.

But first a short origin story: a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away….a disgruntled cart shaver finally saw the light and purchased a Merkur 34C. It took a little time, but with the generous help of those who had come before him, he learned to use that razor, and ultimately began an awesome journey into the vintage DE shaving world. Many moons later he began to hear wondrous stories of other razors, and began to feel the calling to another side of “the force”....the Single Edge. He took that leap, again with the help and generosity of those around him, and discovered another part of the shaving universe.

Now this is important....I like to shave with DE razors, but I’m also a big fan of SE razors…to me, diversity in the shave den is part of the attraction. Perhaps you’ll try the SE, and as some have done, embrace it entirely and leave the DE world behind. That does happen, but that is not my intent at all. I’m hoping to encourage you to explore the SE side, not with the thought of replacing your DE razors, but to broaden your shaving horizons and thus complement your den with SE.

Okay, enough with the origin stories and words of wisdom(?)...here is the eligibility criteria:
  1. You are a DE, Straight Razor, and/or Shavette-type shaver who has never tried an SE razor (injector, Gem-style, AC blade types)

2. You have been shaving with your current blade type (see above) long enough to feel comfortable with it…if you haven’t mastered your DE, this really isn’t the PIF for you. As Hobbes (from Calvin & Hobbes) has said: “Until you stalk and overrun, you can’t devour anyone” -- to which Calvin replies, “I can see why tiger aphorisms don’t catch on”.

3. A desire to earnestly try a GEM-style Single Edge razor, AND to share that experience with folks on this thread and in this thread (Micromatic Monday).

4. You’re in the US. I am exploring options for a future “outside of North America” PIF but this one will need to stay “local”.

5. You are willing to re-PIF this razor if it turns out that the “dark side” is just too “dark” for you.

6. You are willing to share your experience with the razor (good or bad).

7. If all of the above lines up for you, please just say “I’m in”.
The razor in this PIF is a favorite vintage GEM, and one that I think has the perfect balance of comfort and efficiency….especially for an SE newbie. It will also come with several GEM Stainless Steel PTFE-coated blades (I get 10 to 15 shaves out of a single blade, but even if you get fewer, I'll make sure you'll have enough to keep you going for a while). While I’ve heard this razor referred to by some as the “Tech” of the GEM world (and I tend to agree), I find it to be a VERY nice balance between comfort and efficiency. Here are few pics of the razor that will be sent:
proxy.php
proxy.php

By the way, the polish on the top cap is so mirror like that it's reflecting the towel....that's why it looks sort of weird.

My plan is to let this run for one week (ending on 8/22/20), and that will give this razor about a week to let it get to its new home. This should roughly line up with Single Edge September (aka SEptember).

My cat (Luke) is currently laying on my lap as I type this -- and as he is undoubtedly tired of me saying: “ Luuuuke, I AM your FATHER”, so I will instead end with this Darth Vader quote:: “This will be a day long remembered” (I hope). :a45:

Very generous PIF. Unfortunately, not in. For those sitting on the fence, the Featherweight was my first razor handed down to me by my father when I first started shaving. It is a very smooth and forgiving razor, and an excellent one for you to try experiencing an SE.

I'm in. Oh wait I don't qualify @Flintstone65 knows me and knows I have many wonderful SE razors. That is a Beautiful first Gen Featherweight and a very generous PIF. I look forward to hearing the winners shave reports.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Respectfully not in, my friend. :)

Outstanding PIF. Definitely one of my favorite GEM razors! 👍

@Graydog gifted me the GEM razors that started me down the SE path. May the recipient of this razor have as much fun with SE razors as I have. 👍

Wow! Great PIF Im in. I have bid on several of these on ebay but always were beaten out at the last moment, so i figured the shave gods didn't want me have one i reckon

A very generous and most excellent PIF kind sir.

Respectfully not in because I found slants and have no need to go any further. Whoever wins will be pleased for sure.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Lover

Terrific razor to start with! I own several, including some grey handled ones. Excellent shaver! Smooth and efficient and an overall good representation of the entire GEM line. Good luck to the participants!

Please count me in. I actually had one I purchased off eBay and found that it is damaged and I can use it. Can't wait to try it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Nice Pif with a different theme :001_smile , I have one already so I'm not in on this great razor. One of my favorites to be honest out of a lot of Gems I own.

Last edited:
Respectfully, not in. This is a great offer. I've found the Featherweight to be a real pleasure to use. I'm sure whoever is the recipient of this generous PIF will be very pleased with the new experiences. Thank you Flintstone65!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm just bumping this thread up and gently reminding folks that if you've haven't shaved with a SE blade, well this is an opportunity to be pulled into a rabbit hole....ummm, I mean it's a chance to give it a try. :clap:

Top Bottom