What's new

The Darjeeling Limited

Last night I went to see this film at a great independent theatre. I can't say this movie was great, but not a terrible movie either. Anyway..I'm not here to critique the movie. During two of the scenes Adrien Brody's character is shaving with "dad's razor", and while they never give a good shot of the razor I could have sworn it appeared to be a Slant. It was a bit out of focus, and thus hard to positively id. Did anyone else see this and notice?

I saw the movie, noticed a razor but couldn't tell what it was. And I actually enjoyed this movie, which is rare. I usually lose interest after 20 minutes, but this one had a nice mixture of authenticity and quirkiness.

Cheers

Jeremy

I saw the movie, noticed a razor but couldn't tell what it was. And I actually enjoyed this movie, which is rare. I usually lose interest after 20 minutes, but this one had a nice mixture of authenticity and quirkiness.

Cheers

Jeremy

I agree on the quirkiness part. And the movie was definitely enjoyable, but after seeing the other Wes Andersen movies the quirkiness is starting to become predictable. Also, the audience I was watching with had an influence, and my girlfriend agreed. Many of the people were laughing in the opening scenes when Jason Schwartzman was just laying on the bed. I guess it was a case of them expecting the movie to be funny simply because it was a Wes Andersen film rather than judging the film on its own merits.

But, other than that...I did think the movie was good, and I'll be waiting for his next effort.

I agree on the quirkiness part. And the movie was definitely enjoyable, but after seeing the other Wes Andersen movies the quirkiness is starting to become predictable. Also, the audience I was watching with had an influence, and my girlfriend agreed. Many of the people were laughing in the opening scenes when Jason Schwartzman was just laying on the bed. I guess it was a case of them expecting the movie to be funny simply because it was a Wes Andersen film rather than judging the film on its own merits.

But, other than that...I did think the movie was good, and I'll be waiting for his next effort.

Karl

You are way ahead of me on this. I go to the movies once a year, maybe twice, so the quirkiness was fresh to me. Never heard of Wes Andersen, so I had no idea what to expect. I did enjoy the scenery though and was grateful that it appeared to be authentic rather than the usual Hollywood/Bollywood offering.

Cheers

Jeremy

Karl

You are way ahead of me on this. I go to the movies once a year, maybe twice, so the quirkiness was fresh to me. Never heard of Wes Andersen, so I had no idea what to expect. I did enjoy the scenery though and was grateful that it appeared to be authentic rather than the usual Hollywood/Bollywood offering.

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
The scenery was really good, and I liked that the credits weren't simply rolled over a black screen. It kept the audience in their seat to force them to see that they shot on location and used mostly Indian crew. I thought that was a nice touch.

If you want to catch another Wes Anderson movie I recommend The Royal Tenenbaums. It's a dark comedy and a great ensemble cast. I try to follow movies as much as possible as my girlfriend is a movie junkie, and it gives us a good conversation piece.

If I may interject, Anderson's Bottle Rocket and his Rushmore are worth multiple viewings. The Aquatic Life is worth watching only for Bill Murray- he was very good in that film, IMHO. AS for Darjeeling, I will wait for the DVD.

tho i can't say anything about the razor cameo, i loved the style/set design of the movie.

the old pullman-style 30's trains, the train staff uniforms, their clothes, the matching vuitton custom luggage, ooh ooh.

however, the movie itself, felt... a little to formula. seen all of Andersen's movies exc. Bottle Rocket so rather knew what to expect - the quirkiness seems to becoming a genre-type for him.

I much preferred the Life Aquatic - for Bill Murray's role, for the 80's references and soundtrack, and for the weird stop-mo animation interspersed throughout.

Anderson's one of the best american directors out there that i know of at the moment, tho - i don't want to make it sound like i'm poo-poohing him!

-L.

Guys thanks for the titles. I enjoyed this movie enough to try and find a couple of his other movies on DVD. Still... give me a book anyday.

Cheers

Jeremy

Top Bottom