What's new

The Daiquiri -- B&B Classic Cocktails

At long last, the next instalment of Classic Cocktails. This one has been frustrating -- you'll notice the photos below are screencaps from a couple videos that you'll probably never see. My tired old computer and I have been been fighting with the huge files for several days and we finally just decided to throw in the towel.

But technical frustrations aside, this is an extremely rewarding summer drink. The classic daiquiri, as you might not be aware, is not the slushy fruit concoction you'd receive if you ordered one in most bars. The most popular "classic" version of the drink is served shaken, strained, and up. Initially, at its origins in Cuba (it's actually a drink invented by Americans living in Cuba), the ingredients were simply poured over cracked ice in a highball glass. As rum became more popular outside of the working glass in the US (due to import restrictions being placed on nearly every other spirit during WWII), the classic daiquiri -- comprised only of rum, lime juice, and syrup, is what we're making today. Then I'll show you how to make the "Hemingway" version -- known as the "Papa Doble," which is sort of the missing link between the classic daiquiri and the slushy abomination we know today. But first things first:

full

Slice and squeeze a large lime.

full

You should hopefully get about 2oz of juice. Measure it out and pour it into your shaker.

full

Cut a lime twist from the leftover rind. There are good tutorials on YouTube of how to do this, and there are actually a few different ways. I like to fold the half lime flat, cut a thin section off the widest part, then scrape away the white from the peel. Twist it up tightly and release.

full

Now add a little over twice the volume of rum. You're looking for about a 1.25:1 ratio here.

I'm using the Pyrat Rum from this month's Spirit of the Month discussion. Normally I wouldn't mix with a high-end liquor, but the price on the Pyrat is right and it makes for a really interesting daiquiri. Much more flavorful than light rum, but not out of place with the lime juice as a more heavily "spiced" rum might be. Try it!

full

Now add just a splash of syrup. This batch of syrup I poured into an old Boodles bottle -- I've been making a lot of drinks this week, so I needed a nice big batch. Plus Boodles bottles have that nice big cap that won't get stuck to the bottle threads by the dried syrup as easily as some others. To reiterate: this is NOT gin.

full

Now drop in some ice...

full

And give it a shake.

full

Pour...

full

Add your garnish.... And there you have it!

(Due to the Pyrat this is a bit darker than you'll see most daiquiris.)

Now... as a special bonus installment. The "Papa Doble." (pronounced Doh-blay) This drink was Hemingway's signature drink at the La Floridita bar in Havana, although it's speculated he was drinking it years previous in Florida. The unique thing about it is that it contains no syrup, but is still sweet enough to mask the (considerable amount of) alcohol contained therein. Ol' Ernest had a problem with adding sugar syrup to his drinks apparently, and drank these by the pitcherful. This is a blended drink, however -- you might be accused of drinking something fruity and girly. But if it was good enough for Hemingway, who was about the furthest thing from a "lightweight" ever known to mankind, it's good enough for a drinkin' man to try at least once.

The recipe is simple:

full

Add some crushed ice to your blender. I probably have this crushed too finely here -- if you have a refrigerator that dispenses "crushed" ice, that's probably about right. If you don't have an ice crusher, double-bag some ice cubes/chunks in ziploc bags, and smash them with a hammer. Really. It works nicely.

full

Measure out 3.25oz of white rum (I wouldn't use the Pyrat here)...

full

...and pour it over your ice.

full

Now slice two limes...

full

...and squeeze them out into your blender. No need to measure here. Just squeeze.

full

And now squeeze out half a grapefruit.

full

And now the secret ingredient. Maraschino liqueur. This is usually hard to find -- Luxardo is probably the most notable brand, and the one you're most likely to find. This is a critical ingredient, and this is definitely not the same as maraschino (cherry) juice. It's not expensive and worth the hunt. Your reward will be a true Papa Doble. :biggrin:

Add a splash of the Luxardo.

full

Now give it a very short blend. Just enough to get it a little frothy, but not enough to make the ice too slushy.

full

And pour into a goblet. Ideally, you're going to want a goblet that doesn't say "Stella Artois" on it, but this the best I've got. The shape is about right though -- think about those big, short stubby stemmed water goblets you get at restaraunts. The glassware Hemingway drank these out of was often described as a "vase" :tongue:

full

And there you go. A drink fit for Papa himself.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job yet again Pat. I'll admit I was looking mostly at your pictures and stopped dead in my tracks when I saw you pouring from a bottle of Boodles. I thought: "Gin? In a Daiquiri? Has Pat finally come to the realization that gin is the bacon of the spirit world and everything tastes better with it?" Then I started thinking about bacon and kinda lost track, then I actually read your description. It makes more sense to me now.

Anyhoo, shame the video didn't work out. The screen caps definitely do the job though. I know the next time I have company over I'll make up a big pitcher full of Papa Dobles. Thanks!

Great job Pat. I am glad to see I am not the only person who can't stand those frozen slushee things they serve fat women at restaurants. This is much more classic and I daresay drinkable. Which white rum did you use for the Papa Doble? Doe it really matter with white rum?

Regards, Todd

Another great installment, Pat! Now that you are a moderator, we're expecting even more frequent updates... or else. :tongue:

Nice work Pat -- may have to give these a spin this weekend. As for the new badge, there's a joke in there somewhere about alcoholic beverages and moderation...:biggrin: Congrats!

Great job Pat. I am glad to see I am not the only person who can't stand those frozen slushee things they serve fat women at restaurants. This is much more classic and I daresay drinkable. Which white rum did you use for the Papa Doble? Doe it really matter with white rum?

Regards, Todd

Most of the recipes I researched mentioned Bacardi by name. Since Bacardi's not been made in Cuba for a good number of years though, you might try getting your hands on some Havana Club Blanco if you're ever in Canada/Mexico (it's not sold in the US) if you want to be as authentic as possible.

Great example of a fantastic drink, Pat.

Interestingly, I'm not familiar with the Papa Doble name, and have never had a "Hemmingway Daiquiri" (that's what I've always called it) blended. I use the exact ingredients and measurements as you, but shake it and serve up. I hereby formally appologize to anyone whom I may have offended by serving them a Hemmingway Daiquiri in an incorrect fashion.:blushing:

Great example of a fantastic drink, Pat.

Interestingly, I'm not familiar with the Papa Doble name, and have never had a "Hemmingway Daiquiri" (that's what I've always called it) blended. I use the exact ingredients and measurements as you, but shake it and serve up. I hereby formally appologize to anyone whom I may have offended by serving them a Hemmingway Daiquiri in an incorrect fashion.:blushing:

Probably the best description of the drink can be found in the memoir-slash-biography "Papa Hemingway" by his friend A.E. Hochner, excerpted in this article:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2007/08/cocktail_hemingway_daiquiri.html

a Papa Doble was compounded of two and a half jiggers of Bacardi White Label Rum, the juice of two limes and half a grapefruit, and six drops of maraschino, all placed in an electric mixer over shaved ice, whirled vigorously and served foaming in large goblets.

Great stuff Pat! Now I'm thirsty and found some Maraschino liqueur (not as simple a quest in Brooklyn as I thought) I'll be making some Papa Doble's shortly.

"Now add just a splash of syrup" - I might have missed it in the search but can you give me the recipe for your "syrup?"

Thanks, and great job with the cocktails!:thumbup:

Tom

"Now add just a splash of syrup" - I might have missed it in the search but can you give me the recipe for your "syrup?"

Yessir Tom: The recipe calls for dissolving granulated sugar in boiling water. I like 1 dry cup sugar in 1 cup water. Some like their drinks sweeter and go as high as 2:1. It's a personal preference thing, and there are varying opinions and tastes.

Just boil your water, pour in your sugar and stir over medium-low heat until dissolved. Then decant into a suitable container (as you can see, empty liquor bottles work well) and store in the fridge. Use within a couple weeks. Adding a shot of vodka to the bottle can help it keep a little longer.

Yessir Tom: The recipe calls for dissolving granulated sugar in boiling water. I like 1 dry cup sugar in 1 cup water. Some like their drinks sweeter and go as high as 2:1. It's a personal preference thing, and there are varying opinions and tastes.

Thanks Pat! Enjoying a Papa Doble and Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real as I type. Great drink, very refreshing!:biggrin:

Tom

Top Bottom