The Daily Double

DD not Tuesday, but...

Pass 1 J.R. Torrey, just off my hones for a first shave
Pass 2 Merkur 37C / Feather (2)
Omega cream and bowl-lathered Cella
Whiting-Adams ancient boar
Alum, witch hazel, HazelHopHusker AS
97A54CF9-5B3F-4CE8-A36B-3595665F790E.jpeg

Smooth shaving, no Feather issues, no sting. Delightful.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
D and D

Schöne and GC 84
Omega 10290
Mike's Orange

My 2 newest razors in my line-up, surprisingly the GC 84 is very nice to my neck

20191111_103200[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
D and D

It has been a while since I have been in the mood for a straight, but I wanted to try out my first badger brush with a really nice soap my brother sent me from Italy.
This is also the first time I have used this Ontario Cutlery Geneva, it seems to have taken a nice edge and didn't leave much for the GC 84 to finish with.

I must say I am impressed with the Acqua Di Parma, the scent is intoxicating, the performance is excellent, my face is happy.

20191114_081520[1].jpg

DD yesterday’s mail call, today’s shave

Prep: Williams Mug face wash and knot break-in
Pass 1: Dovo Barbarossa Spanish point detail razor
Pass 2: brand new (to me) 1916 Gillette Single Ring with a brand new Supermax Blue Diamond
Cream and soap: Lea menthol and BOSC Special Reserve CLW
Brush: brand new 3D printed two-band badger
Post: nuttin’, it’s all good (and it’s Saturday - the barbarians are banging on the gates of the den)

F60C2D53-AF21-4396-A1E5-14A367DE7957.jpeg

Mail call courtesy of a distant B&B brother.

Love the Single Ring. Hey, this shave was an ‘SR’ double. Maybe a little smoother than my ball end NDC Old Type.

Had a great shave today with a new to me Ever-Ready 1914 little lather catcher. Also new to me is the Tabac soap and the Treet blade. I switched the Treet out for a Gem blade but look forward to trying it in other razors. This was all a gift from a friend. I didn't ask if was ok to say where they came from but you know who you are. Thank you so much for the generous gift.
I used the JA Henkels a bit just to try to stay in practice. And to try to keep up with @Tanuki and @Rosseforp.

Nothing to see here, move along...

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
D and D

The factory edge left a little to be desired on the Puma my brother got for me in Italy, it just needed a "little" touching up.
It is not quite up there with my #35 Geneva yet, but felt nice and smooth on my face, and did OK on my neck. I did 1 WTG and 1 XTG pass with the Puma, and the Merkur took care of the final touches with an Astra SP(2). I felt the Amici sting a bit more than usual, might be the Astra's.

20191118_205515[1].jpg

What is that pristine Henckels thingie in the case?

Hoshitombo looks rather nice. Japanese straight? Translucent scales? How about a SuperDoll? From Australia via BST.

61CE4454-B45C-42C3-9E32-58559E2269BA.jpeg

It will need a little work.

It's a Henkels Rapide razor. Originally used wedge blades. I'll be shaving with it tomorrow. I bought it from a friend on another forum as a birthday gift from my wife. I may use the Japanese straight tomorrow too. That's a beautiful razor you have there too.

It's a Henkels Rapide razor. Originally used wedge blades. I'll be shaving with it tomorrow. I bought it from a friend on another forum as a birthday gift from my wife. I may use the Japanese straight tomorrow too. That's a beautiful razor you have there too.

I’ll be looking for that double tomorrow. How long is the cutting edge on the Hoshitombo?

No way I’ll have the SuperDoll ready before Thanksgiving. I am backlogged!

The cutting edge is 50mm or almost 2 inches. And head different things on measuring blade width but the full width of the blade is about 20mm pr just over 3/4 more commonly 6/8ths in straight razor terms. The scales are a beautiful translusent dark amber color. And it the asymmetrical grind of a Kamisori.

Today's Daily Double. I've actually been doing less doubles lately because I've been rushed more at shave time. I need to rectify that. So I'll start with today's shave and hopefully follow a trend.

This was my first use of both razors and the new boar brush I just finished making the other day.

Razor #1 Henkels Rapide with carbon blade and wedge adapter.
Razor #2 Hoshitombo Japanese straight razor.
Brush Gaboon ebony and maple with 28mm boar.
Soap Tabac
Aftershave witch hazel splash

Very close comfortabl shave I think I prefer SS blades but I like carbons too. These are two great razors and the Henkels is particularly good for the back of the neck cleanup with its wonderfully long handle.

20191122_162456.jpg

Today's Daily Double. I've actually been doing less doubles lately because I've been rushed more at shave time. I need to rectify that. So I'll start with today's shave and hopefully follow a trend.

This was my first use of both razors and the new boar brush I just finished making the other day.

Razor #1 Henkels Rapide with carbon blade and wedge adapter.
Razor #2 Hoshitombo Japanese straight razor.
Brush Gaboon ebony and maple with 28mm boar.
Soap Tabac
Aftershave witch hazel splash

Very close comfortabl shave I think I prefer SS blades but I like carbons too. These are two great razors and the Henkels is particularly good for the back of the neck cleanup with its wonderfully long handle.

View attachment 1037359

Sweet double! The Henckels Rapide was built last week, right? And that sexy, sophisticated handle seems to have sprouted an impressive knot.

My double came late, shower and shave after dinner.

Robert Klaas Solingen SR, freshly stropped on the diamond paste progression
Merkur 37C / Feather
3D printed handle / badger knot
BOSC Special Reserve Armani Code clone soap

Two pass, very comfortable, very close. I gave it the full alum and ethanol test - sting free.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
For tonight's Daily Double I pulled out my J A Henkels after some time on the arkie it feels much smoother on my face and neck. I finished up with the Piccolo on my chin.
The new Badger is really coming around nicely and the Proraso continues to impress me.
The shave felt nice but the Clubman really lit my face up for some reason.

20191123_193659[1].jpg

Today's Daily Double was a Shovelhead showdown. This was my first use of the short necked shovel head. I've heard it's a more aggressive razor so I wanted to do a comparison. The short neck is definitely a bit more aggressive and a bit more efficient. I didn't feel like there was a huge difference though. I switched both over to baton handle witch I greatly prefer to the standard short handle the usually have.
Also I ended up rinsing out the Arko Proraso blend and going with straight Arko. For some reason this Proraso seems to have a negative slickness and glide. It actually seems to make the razor stick and chatter on my skin. Maybe it's just my hard water but I'm am not impressed. Look for another head to head showdown tomorrow with a different set of razors.

20191124_110125.jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Today's Daily Double was a Shovelhead showdown. This was my first use of the short necked shovel head. I've heard it's a more aggressive razor so I wanted to do a comparison. The short neck is definitely a bit more aggressive and a bit more efficient. I didn't feel like there was a huge difference though. I switched both over to baton handle witch I greatly prefer to the standard short handle the usually have.
Also I ended up rinsing out the Arko Proraso blend and going with straight Arko. For some reason this Proraso seems to have a negative slickness and glide. It actually seems to make the razor stick and chatter on my skin. Maybe it's just my hard water but I'm am not impressed. Look for another head to head showdown tomorrow with a different set of razors.

View attachment 1037891
Interesting about the Arko Proraso blend, my brother just gave me a tub of Proraso. I don't care for the scent, but my wife likes it so I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised by the cushion it provided and how my face felt afterwards. I have mixed Arko and Williams, but not found that it is any better than just Arko........

I also love the handles on your Shovelhead's, as a machinist they look like a 1/2" 4-flute bottoming tap!

Interesting about the Arko Proraso blend, my brother just gave me a tub of Proraso. I don't care for the scent, but my wife likes it so I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised by the cushion it provided and how my face felt afterwards. I have mixed Arko and Williams, but not found that it is any better than just Arko........

I also love the handles on your Shovelhead's, as a machinist they look like a 1/2" 4-flute bottoming tap!

I usually mix Arko with Cremo cooling and like those results much more.
Can you do handle knurling? Or is that the wrong kind of machining?

Top Bottom