What's new

The Daily Double

Nice test -- and mirrors my experience with the TNNSER 3D -- although my testing has been more qualitative and far less scientific. I have been extremely impressed with the performance of this 3D-printed razor.

I've been called man things, but I don't remember being called Scientific.

DD OCtober shavette test

Pass 1: HRICO shavette left, Focus Slim shavette right,
both with fresh 1/2 Feather
Pass 2: Gillette NEW LC / Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
Cremo Cooling rubbed in and warm Arko bowl lather
Semogue boar
Generic witch hazel splash
DB8BBDF1-2883-4D48-84B0-490AD3BAC67E.jpeg

Both shavettes have their points. The Focus is far easier to load and maneuvers easily in tight spaces. The heft of the HRICO smooths out the strokes. And the Feather is a great shavette blade. (But would be improved if they rationed the glue.) Nice warm shave on a cool foggy morning.

For Today's Daily Double I just did a cold water single pass with very light touch up for a SAS to run to the grocery store and the hardware store with my wife and kids. I want to do a comparison shave with these two soon but didn't want to wait till then to use them both.
TNNSER 3D with Gem SS PTFE
Enders Speed Shaver with proline B20
Stirling Executive man on two band badger
Quick shower and hit the road.
Both razors are a joy to use but the TNNSER 3D is definitely easier to load.

20191026_094439.jpg

Two old razors, two new blades:

Gillette New Improved/Feather + Gem MMOC/Gem PTFE

This was a close shaving combination!
2593E9EB-1219-488B-BB24-03ED85EED964.jpeg

Very nice. I'd like to see a few pictures of the brush.

Short thread digression...

Here it is with another brush for scale...
B331831D-0410-4BB3-B0BA-7214D0730CC7.jpeg

Cherry with a little bit of spalting. I wanted a longer handle to reach down into deeper mugs and bowls. I thought I would model it on barber style brushes or maybe go for a stylized artist’s paintbrush, but I modeled it on antique chisel/screwdriver handles - last minute inspiration. I am a bit impulsive as a woodturner. I gave it a walnut danish oil finish to match the brown horsehair knot.

I like the knot, but it has some horse funk! Not scrubby at all, of course. This will be a special occasion brush, not a regular. Might have to put it in heavy rotation until the horse odor dissipates.

Today’s double:
Pass 1: HRICO KureNai shavette / half Feather DE (3)
Pass 2: Merkur 15C / Feather (2)
Lea menthol cream + BOSC Special Reserve croap
Vulfix 6 boar - plenty scrubby

Short thread digression...

Here it is with another brush for scale...
View attachment 1030527

Cherry with a little bit of spalting. I wanted a longer handle to reach down into deeper mugs and bowls. I thought I would model it on barber style brushes or maybe go for a stylized artist’s paintbrush, but I modeled it on antique chisel/screwdriver handles - last minute inspiration. I am a bit impulsive as a woodturner. I gave it a walnut danish oil finish to match the brown horsehair knot.

I like the knot, but it has some horse funk! Not scrubby at all, of course. This will be a special occasion brush, not a regular. Might have to put it in heavy rotation until the horse odor dissipates.

Today’s double:
Pass 1: HRICO KureNai shavette / half Feather DE (3)
Pass 2: Merkur 15C / Feather (2)
Lea menthol cream + BOSC Special Reserve croap
Vulfix 6 boar - plenty scrubby

Very cool. Sometimes I start with a clear picture in my mind of what I want to turn or even an actual picture, sometimes the piece turns out pretty much like that image, sometimes quite different. Other times I just start turning and see where things go.

DD all about the prep

I recharged my diamond pasted strops and gave the kamisori 50 laps each on the full 50/100/200 sequence, plus leather. Very polished edge! Gave the face a triple hot wash and left some wet lather on during the leather stropping. New blade on the GameChanger JAWS. All systems go.

Pass 1: Henkotsu kamisori
Pass 2: GC JAWS / Supermax Blue Diamond (1)
Cream: Karo Classic
Soap: BOSC Special Reserve “Armani Code”
Brush: The Superior Shave unbranded boar
Post: alum (perfect score), witch hazel splash, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum (celebrating a relaxed/relaxing shave)

Still faceturbating @ 916pm this evening.

I think this shave qualified as faceturbating. Best shave yet with the kami.

DD or maybe all about the pasted balsa

60 laps on the diamond pasted strop sequence for my ‘Best Solingen’ Dovo. Best edge yet.

Pass 1 Dovo SR
Pass 2 Wunderbar Ti custom handle / Feather (3)
Omega cream and Arko
Omega 10066 boar
Alum, witch hazel, Texas 10X Face Freezer AS
E8EE7464-6157-4249-8B92-9A106667772B.jpeg

DD Italian job

Focus Slim Al shavette / Rapira Platinum Lux 2
RazoRock Wunderbar / Feather 4
Proraso Green
Cream rub
Soap
Splash
Omega 10005 boar
751EB7AB-1BA8-433A-BD86-54D428260897.jpeg

This is what happens when Italian Barber has a Proraso sale. Nice close 2 pass/ no touch up double.

I finally fixed the worn blade stop on my Ever-Ready lather catcher today. This thing shaves much better than I expected. And the TNNSER 3D handled the back of my neck with ease.

20191108_131019.jpg
20191108_130937.jpg

I was going to use my ER again today and try it with a wedge adapter but the JB weld blade stop failed. So I went with the Gem Jr. Bar and a Grm Featherweight.
The Jr. Bar is a smoother more efficient razor for me and is my top favorite so far and for good reason. My wife shaved the back of my neck with the featherweight
Mer Shavings barber shop and two band badger handled the lather.

20191110_124819.jpg

I was going to use my ER again today and try it with a wedge adapter but the JB weld blade stop failed. So I went with the Gem Jr. Bar and a Grm Featherweight.
The Jr. Bar is a smoother more efficient razor for me and is my top favorite so far and for good reason. My wife shaved the back of my neck with the featherweight
Mer Shavings barber shop and two band badger handled the lather.

View attachment 1033763

The ER looks so nice! And that JB weld blade stop looked nicely done, too.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Remembrance day on a MMMonday morning -20 C, so I choose a few razors that soldiers would of used during World War 1&2.
Not sure they would of shaved every day but at certain events they had to shave by military dress code I believe.

Razors : Everready 1914 + Gem MMCP 1945 Peerless model.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (1)
Brush: Omega boar
Soap: Williams mug
Preshave: Brush wash the face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Aloe Vera on beard
Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
Post shave : Pinaud Clubman with witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results : CCS,DFS,BBs + alum indicated minor irritation + 2 blemish weepers = :wink2:

MMMonday Nov 11-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Today's Daily Double er um Triple.

I had lots of fun with this one today. Three different types of razor. An Enders speed with Schick proline B20 a PAA open comb Bakelite slant with KAI blade and a Japanese style shavette with Feather proguard. All three razors performed perfectly as did the Mer Shavings fougere orange dunkys milk soap. The synthetic brush meh.

20191113_165025.jpg

Today's Daily Double er um Triple.

I had lots of fun with this one today. Three different types of razor. An Enders speed with Schick proline B20 a PAA open comb Bakelite slant with KAI blade and a Japanese style shavette with Feather proguard. All three razors performed perfectly as did the Mer Shavings fougere orange dunkys milk soap. The synthetic brush meh.

View attachment 1034633

Dark razors for these dark days.

I have not been able to get up any enthusiasm for synthetics - gave my two to my oldest. Your triple did spark enthusiasm for my PBOCS. It will take over for the Wunderbar as designated hitter for a few innings.

Now I need to find time to use real SRs in my doubles more frequently. The shavette route is such a convenient and pleasant shortcut.

Dark razors for these dark days.

I have not been able to get up any enthusiasm for synthetics - gave my two to my oldest. Your triple did spark enthusiasm for my PBOCS. It will take over for the Wunderbar as designated hitter for a few innings.

Now I need to find time to use real SRs in my doubles more frequently. The shavette route is such a convenient and pleasant shortcut.

I need to use my real straights more often too. The PBOCS was a birthday gift from a friend of mine along with some of my favorite soap. I had teased him when he said it was to harsh for him that my birthday was just around the corner. I kinda figured he give me the razor because we do exchange gifts and he had said he wasn't going to use it again but the soap was a total surprise.

DD hero and villain

Pass 1 Kinfolks Blue Steel Special
Pass 2 Oxblood PBOCS
Cream rub - Omega
Bowl soap - BOSC Special Reserve AC
Omega 10066 boar
Post - alum, witch hazel, Texas 10X Face Freezer

507D5C6C-7E39-4E8E-AC20-AC23214BD565.jpeg

The Kinfolks is the surprise hero, greatly improved by a quick honing and then the full 60 lap diamond pasted balsa strop progression and 60 laps on Tony Miller leather. I loaded a Feather in the PBOCS for the first time. Too sharp for all that exposure but, boy howdy, a close shave.

Top Bottom