What's new

The Daily Double

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
This was yesterday's shave: Weck Wednesday. Work and volunteer duties have kept me busy....not to mention the many projects on my "honey do" list that I've been working on. But I did have time for a very relaxed shave. I've learned that if there is a guard (be it an open comb or safety bar), I thoroughly relax and just plow through the shave in a zen state of mind. The 2 razors were my Weck Sextoblade with an open comb guard, and the Eversharp Fashion razor (aka Schick Type H). The Weck took the first 2 passes (it was Weck Wednesday, after all) and the result was very comfortable socially acceptable shave. The Eversharp jumped in for the final pass (and a spot touch-up in some nuisance areas) and I was left with a very solid DFS+. The Proraso blue cream was easily lathered with the Yaqi Moka Express (synthetic knot). It was a very nice day in the Flintstone shave cave!!!
proxy.php

This was yesterday's shave: Weck Wednesday. Work and volunteer duties have kept me busy....not to mention the many projects on my "honey do" list that I've been working on. But I did have time for a very relaxed shave. I've learned that if there is a guard (be it an open comb or safety bar), I thoroughly relax and just plow through the shave in a zen state of mind. The 2 razors were my Weck Sextoblade with an open comb guard, and the Eversharp Fashion razor (aka Schick Type H). The Weck took the first 2 passes (it was Weck Wednesday, after all) and the result was very comfortable socially acceptable shave. The Eversharp jumped in for the final pass (and a spot touch-up in some nuisance areas) and I was left with a very solid DFS+. The Proraso blue cream was easily lathered with the Yaqi Moka Express (synthetic knot). It was a very nice day in the Flintstone shave cave!!!
proxy.php
Wow, those are two very different sorts of razors!

Flintstone65

Today's Daily Double: the Gold Dollar and the "Nebula" Enders with Proline B20. The first pass was shared between the two razors. The Gold Dollar went first, but the length of the stubble made it uncomfortable for anything more than a WTG pass on the cheeks and lower throat, the Enders picked up the rest. With the stubble lowered sufficiently, the Gold Dollar was able to take on the 2nd pass on it's own -- with the exception of the chin, which continues to be a challenge. The Enders did the 3rd pass and a very quick spot touch-up. The overall shave was a DFS+ with no irritation and only one tiny (and temporary) weeper. The soap was Saponificio Varesino Felce -- really like this stuff...scent, performance and post shave feel -- and it was lathered with my very first Badger (a Yaqi that I received in a trade).
proxy.php

Today's shave started out as a Rolls shave with my Viscount. But a bit of hand tremor got in the way of getting the correct angles for my ATG pass. Finished off with the Universal Lama Intera and a Bluebird blade.
IMG_20200628_111551-01.jpeg

Rolls Viscount
Universal Lama Intera / Bluebird
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rick Montalvo (Oops! Not pictured)
Hazelet's Apothecary 1888

Rolls got me to CCS - DFS and the Universal took it all the way up. Loving both the MWF and the Hazelet's.

Flintstone65

My Daily Double was me continuing to try and master the Gold Dollar razor -- I received a VERY generous second straight along with this one, but I'm trying to get the GD down before trotting out what I think will be my ultimate-favorite SR. Sadly, that day is still a ways off....I tried letting the GD take the first pass with my somewhat long stubble, and that was not fun. The cheeks were fine, but any potentially tricky angles did NOT go well with my still nascent straight razor skills...felt more like pulling than cutting. So a British Gillette (the Popular) entered the scene and finished the first pass. Undaunted, I put the GD back in for the second pass which it fully completed (chin and all) in a smooth and dare I say comfortable manner -- no pulling sensation at all. A 3rd pass was required to get from SAS to DFS, and not wanting to push my luck, I put the Popular back in. The final result was a DFS+!!!

The brush was RazoRock's Beehive 28mm Plissoft and it lathered up Ogallala Bay Rum soap. The Gillette Popular was carrying a Nacet blade on it's 7th shave.
proxy.php

My Daily Double was me continuing to try and master the Gold Dollar razor -- I received a VERY generous second straight along with this one, but I'm trying to get the GD down before trotting out what I think will be my ultimate-favorite SR. Sadly, that day is still a ways off....I tried letting the GD take the first pass with my somewhat long stubble, and that was not fun. The cheeks were fine, but any potentially tricky angles did NOT go well with my still nascent straight razor skills...felt more like pulling than cutting. So a British Gillette (the Popular) entered the scene and finished the first pass. Undaunted, I put the GD back in for the second pass which it fully completed (chin and all) in a smooth and dare I say comfortable manner -- no pulling sensation at all. A 3rd pass was required to get from SAS to DFS, and not wanting to push my luck, I put the Popular back in. The final result was a DFS+!!!

The brush was RazoRock's Beehive 28mm Plissoft and it lathered up Ogallala Bay Rum soap. The Gillette Popular was carrying a Nacet blade on it's 7th shave.
proxy.php

I think that you are picking the right razor for the moment. The heft and the shorter blade on that Gold Dollar make it an ideal place to start. More stubble always means a tougher reduction pass for me. That is where the heavier grinds have a big advantage. More momentum.

As for the Popular, someday I will find a Gillette OC TTO. Hunting season in the wild is bound to open eventually. I am about to hit the road, so maybe that razor is waiting somewhere along a line from the Pacific NW to the Midwest.

My July 4 double

DA61CC85-5543-4C54-BA39-450C2548B90C.jpeg

Pal Blue Carbon was in the Shovelhead. Club Osage was just mixed at 3:1. Mentholated Col Conk Lime as the pre-shave and Cella for the one pass plus touch up main event. My green Omega 10065 finally is sufficiently broken in to do a full shave without killing the lather. I've cut down to a single full pass for 24 hours or less of stubble. Shaving every day requires me to pace myself.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday July 6th 2020- Daily double with a guest razor with a theme from the Oldest to Newest Gem blade razors. It is amazing how times and products have changed in our Gem A.S.R world. I have a Gem Junior bar from 1907 ish and the new TNNSER 2020 3D printed razor leaving approximately 113 years of technology change and this morning I used the same blade in both razors so maybe that is the only Gem product that is sort of stable from it's minor changes over the last Century. 3D printed razors can change our design of razors but still give similar results regardless because the blade is part of what also makes the shave followed by most important personal hand technique. 1st pass WTG and the TNNSER did a nice job of that, followed up with XTG &ATG with the Gem Jr bar with my kind of shave CCS,DFS,BBS in my sweetspot with no drama.

Razor: Gem Junior Bar lather catcher- MFG 1907-11, great milder mid range razor with great audio feedback.
Razor: Tom White TNNSER 3D printed- MFG 2019> great upper mid range razor with great audio feedback also.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) Excellent blade,very sharp,good longevity, excellent price & a predictable wear from blade that also gives back its smoothness through it's life cycle.
Soap: Razorock Santa Maria Del Fiore - Excellent soap for scent & lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Rainbow 26 mm brown whiskers- very dense brush that whips up lather in a minute, great brush qualities.
Pre-shave:Shower, brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel for aftershave + Avon "True Gent" balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave in tandem with TNNSER 3D & Gem Junior bar with my favorite Gem Personna SS PTFE blade.

GEMonday July 6th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Quadruple double ... is that a thing?

Prep:
Mentholated/tubed Col Conk amber + yellow Omega 10065
Shave:
Revisor full hollow 8/8
Karve OC-D + custom bronze handle + SuperMax BD platinum
BOSC Special Reserve AC + custom olive wood short boar
After:
Badger blend splash party
@SteveWY Rum Runner's on one side, my 4RUM BB (equal parts Stephan/Master/Gabel's/Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rums) on the other

C5775BDA-166B-4617-80C9-C45EA82EE46C.jpeg

Best hollow 8/8 shave yet as I accustom myself to the big Revisor. The Karve was even better than expected with the lighter handle. A fine, fine lunchtime shave.

New world's to conquer...
Alum stick vs alum block
Two balms
Two witch hazels

Grasping at straws here.

Quadruple double ... is that a thing?

Prep:
Mentholated/tubed Col Conk amber + yellow Omega 10065
Shave:
Revisor full hollow 8/8
Karve OC-D + custom bronze handle + SuperMax BD platinum
BOSC Special Reserve AC + custom olive wood short boar
After:
Badger blend splash party
@SteveWY Rum Runner's on one side, my 4RUM BB (equal parts Stephan/Master/Gabel's/Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rums) on the other

View attachment 1122871

Best hollow 8/8 shave yet as I accustom myself to the big Revisor. The Karve was even better than expected with the lighter handle. A fine, fine lunchtime shave.

New world's to conquer...
Alum stick vs alum block
Two balms
Two witch hazels

Grasping at straws here.

Very nice. Love the scales on that SR.

And he's back...

Cadman&Sons Bengall, a Sheffield 6/8, seller's fine edge
Vintage Merkur 15/41 head on Rosseforp's fine Ti handle
Newly tubed stick of Arko / Omega 10066
Alum, Lucky Tiger, 3:1 AV Blue Ice:Osage Rub
C26360CE-B41E-4E70-8878-5BA3894F325E.jpeg

Long difficult day, short relaxing shave at sunset. I hadn't used Arko in stick form for a long time. Amazing shave stick, beats them all. I understand La Toja is highly praised, but Maggard reneged, so I won't be dethroning Arko any time soon.

Ron R

I kind of got carried away this morning and had a quadruple shave.

MicroMaticMonday,July 20th 2020, commemorate 2yrs of ASR shaving as a group of A.S.R keeners.
Always wondered what it would be like to have a Micromatic adjustable so I had to improvise my version today with
- Mid range + by different variants of the Micromatics to see & feel how it would go. A little bit of extra work but it was worth the effort to receive a BBs shave. Gem Mfg was working on adjustable's in some proto types but nothing ever came of it. I think the modern version of a Gem adjustable would be more like the Blackland Sabre with different base plates and open comb base plate version for the traditional concept. Just a different shave to shake up a MMMonday for my self.
Razor: MMFW, bullet tip,Guiding eye....Mfg 1947-50
Razor: MMCP,(Peerless Variant)-Mfg 1945
Razor: MMOC -1932-41
Razor: -BMMOC(bumpless variant)-Mfg 1930-32
Blade:Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) great blade in all respects.
Soap: Proraso green
Brush: Omega Boar brush- nice brush when broken in.
Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep:Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups. MMFW (WTG)+MMCP(XTG)+MM OC(ATG)+ -BMMOC(pick ups)
Postshave: Proraso Green aftershave lotion with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Micromatics this MMMonday.

MMMonday, July 20th 2020 (2).jpg

............Gem aggression range..................................................Gem proto type.......................................

Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
025_zps53313514 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I had an excellent shave today with a Gem 1912. This one seems to be a bit more efficient than my other 1912 razors. Further testing will be required to confirm this. However after pass one I was easily at an SAS shave and after 2 passes and a little touch up I'm nearly BBS. The RazoRock hawk was brought out to shave the beard line on my cheeks.

20200726_083525_HDR~2.jpg

Flintstone65

Had a very, VERY nice Daily Double today!!! I recently acquired another Type G Schick (dark blue handle, gold head) and I really wanted to use it, but it's also Weck Wednesday...what to do....what to do???? A Daily Double, of course!!! The Weck Sextoblade with the cream handle is sporting a Fromm blade (lost track of the # shaves on it, over 5 at least) and a safety bar guard. I was going to slide on my OC guard, but the SB guard was already on and I was feeling lazy. The Schick has a brand new "Chick" blade.

First pass was the Weck, and I marvel now at how natural this razor feels in my hand.....chin, upper lip, by the nose, adam's apple....doesn't matter where on my face, I can get at it with the Weck comfortably. The 2nd pass went to the Schick which really felt like cheating since it mindlessly and effortlessly goes everywhere and is nicely efficient. I still needed some touch up in places, so the Weck took the 3rd pass. I was thinking that I'd let the Weck take the "easy" cleanup places, but like I said above, it all feels "easy" with the guard on, so the Weck took the full clean-up and I was left with a DFS+ (probably a BBS). Not a single weeper, not a hint of irritation, and no post-shave sensitivity anywhere. It was one of those shaves where you say out loud (even with no one in the room), "man, that was a NICE shave!!!"

The shave soap was one of the top 3 soaps in my den, Valobra Fougere, and the lather was produced with the somewhat petite 24mm Yaqi Mew Brown Synth in the purple haze handle. The finish was a splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel. If you had a shave half as nice as this one, you had a REALLY good shave too!
proxy.php

Last edited:

Ron R

Had a very, VERY nice Daily Double today!!! I recently acquired another Type G Schick (dark blue handle, gold head) and I really wanted to use it, but it's also Weck Wednesday...what to do....what to do???? A Daily Double, of course!!! The Weck Sextoblade with the cream handle is sporting a Fromm blade (lost track of the # shaves on it, over 5 at least) and a safety bar guard. I was going to slide on my OC guard, but the SB guard was already on and I was feeling lazy. The Schick has a brand new "Chick" blade.

First pass was the Weck, and I marvel now at how natural this razor feels in my hand.....chin, upper lip, by the nose, adam's apple....doesn't matter where on my face, I can get at it with the Weck comfortably. The 2nd pass went to the Schick which really felt like cheating since it mindlessly and effortlessly goes everywhere and is nicely efficient. I still needed some touch up in places, so the Weck took the 3rd pass. I was thinking that I'd let the Weck take the "easy" cleanup places, but like I said above, it all feels "easy" with the guard on, so the Weck took the full clean-up and I was left with a DFS+ (probably a BBS). Not a single weeper, not a hint of irritation, and no post-shave sensitivity anywhere. It was one of those shaves where you say out loud (even with no one in the room), "man, that was a NICE shave!!!"

The shave soap was one of the top 3 soaps in my den, Valobra Fougere, and the lather was produced with the somewhat petite 24mm Yaqi Mew Brown Synth in the purple haze handle. The finish was a splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel. If you had a shave half as nice as this one, you a REALLY good shave too!
proxy.php
Good to hear you had a stellar shave, you sure like the weck razor I'm thinking from your post.

Flintstone65

Good to hear you had a stellar shave, you sure like the weck razor I'm thinking from your post.
:laugh: I really do! I have to say that if anyone gets bored with their particular blade-type exploration (DE, SE, AC, SR), I can really recommend trying a Weck Sextoblade out. You get the history of a vintage (1909 Pat'd Date), a choice of guards (safety bar or open comb [although you do have to do a slight modification to the teeth prior to shaving]), a sharp blade (Personna hair shaper blades) that lasts at least as long as the injector blades, and if you're patient you can find one that is around the same price as a GEM....although I just took a look at my favorite auction site and couldn't find anything all that reasonable (or complete). And what's with shipping charges lately?!?? I mean come on, shipping from the US to the US on the 'bay has started to look stupid....I mean it's a razor not an anvil....but I digress.

Yes, the Weck has become a favorite!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
'Single Edge Sunday', 'The Daily Double' and 'Artist Club August' Shave 20200802
shave 20200802_143005.jpg

Pre-shave: Bowman Brothers Cognac and Cyprus
Razor (WTG): Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (4)
Razor (XTG/ATG x 2): @Blackland Razors Vector :001_wub:
Blade: Schick Proline (6)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Soap: La Toja Cream
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: La Toja
Cologne: La Toja

WTG, XTG/ATG & XTG/ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride Approved) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Completed the entire WTG pass, including top lip and chin, with the Feather SS. The two XTG/ATG passes were handled by the @Blackland Razors Vector. I am pleased to report that the combined shave was smooth, close, efficient, comfortable and effective.

A beautiful 'Single Edge Sunday', 'The Daily Double' and 'Artist Club August' shave! :)

Top Bottom