What's new

The Daily Double

I tested 2 new to me razors today. A Gem 1912 and a Gem Junior. I didn't expect much difference in the shaves but the 1912 was more efficient/aggressive than the Junior. Both razors shave quite comfortably but there was a noticeable difference. The Sterling Almost Heaven with frost drops lathered very well with the synthetic brush. And the shave was very enjoyable all around.

20200605_172823_HDR~2.jpg

Slow down, you’re going too fast...

Relaxed evening shave after a slow and restful day.

Pass 1 and 2 - Wade and Butcher barber’s notch “chopper”
Touch up - Schick M2
Soap - Tabac
Brush - short n scrubby Zenith
After - alum, Lucky Tiger, Adidas Dynamic Pulse
38519E7D-2AF2-44A4-9878-55F94A18446C.jpeg

I’m going to take a break from the adjustable, try to get more straights into play. The W&B was just so smooth tonight.

Slow down, you’re going too fast...

Relaxed evening shave after a slow and restful day.

Pass 1 and 2 - Wade and Butcher barber’s notch “chopper”
Touch up - Schick M2
Soap - Tabac
Brush - short n scrubby Zenith
After - alum, Lucky Tiger, Adidas Dynamic Pulse
View attachment 1110188
I’m going to take a break from the adjustable, try to get more straights into play. The W&B was just so smooth tonight.

Awesome shave my friend.

I tested 2 new to me razors today. A Gem 1912 and a Gem Junior. I didn't expect much difference in the shaves but the 1912 was more efficient/aggressive than the Junior. Both razors shave quite comfortably but there was a noticeable difference. The Sterling Almost Heaven with frost drops lathered very well with the synthetic brush. And the shave was very enjoyable all around.

View attachment 1109706

That handle on the right is a Gem I’ve never seen before. Or is it one you’ve adapted?

Well past bedtime

A variety of late night interruptions, but the shave finally launched.

Wacker “Saturday”, blond horn 11/16
Schick 66 with this shave’s headliner, a vintage Gillette Platinum-Plus injector blade
Tabac stick / Omega 10005 boar
Alum, hops infused witch hazel, Pinaud Clubman just for a late night/goodnight kiss
3E045BC7-7271-4927-A847-9025299613CE.jpeg

I guess I expected a good performance from the Platinum-Plus. I was willing to gamble on it at least. It delivered, I’ll call it a DFS-Plus.

The Schick just did the cheeks and clean up on the neck, but the cheeks were perfect and the clean up was critical for bringing this shave home. It was a successful Gillette/Schick collaboration.

That handle on the right is a Gem I’ve never seen before. Or is it one you’ve adapted?

I've seen a few of them with this handle. It's the way I found it at the antique store.

Well past bedtime

A variety of late night interruptions, but the shave finally launched.

Wacker “Saturday”, blond horn 11/16
Schick 66 with this shave’s headliner, a vintage Gillette Platinum-Plus injector blade
Tabac stick / Omega 10005 boar
Alum, hops infused witch hazel, Pinaud Clubman just for a late night/goodnight kiss
View attachment 1110476
I guess I expected a good performance from the Platinum-Plus. I was willing to gamble on it at least. It delivered, I’ll call it a DFS-Plus.

The Schick just did the cheeks and clean up on the neck, but the cheeks were perfect and the clean up was critical for bringing this shave home. It was a successful Gillette/Schick collaboration.

Both are beautiful razors but man that Schick looks sweet.

Thanks! Looks sweet, shaves sweet. It is the flagship of my Schick fleet. I don’t think the M2 adjustable will knock it off that perch.

I will probably load one of the ‘stroned’ blades that came in the box, once the Platinum-Plus gives up.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Today was my very first SR shave -- my heartfelt thanks to @Tanuki for sending me this razor. The Gold Dollar with awesome bona fides was a pleasure to use. I'm hoping I haven't destroyed it with my amateur stropping abilities. Which reminds me, I always read that you should use a cheap strop because you'll ultimately nick it....and I would think, "oh c'mon, how can somebody nick a strop when going blade trailing???" -- learned that today, when I put a small nick in my *thankfully* cheap strop. :blush:

So the GEM Contour took the first pass (as recommended), the Gold Dollar took a limited second pass (two cheeks and some lower neck), the 3rd and a small touch-up went to the Contour. A very enjoyable DFS+ shave. My Sextoblade has trained me well for holding a SR, and the edge on the Gold Dollar is/was much nicer (i.e., comfortable) than the Personna hair shaper blades. But the real question is whether I'll be able to maintain the edge. I've got the 200K balsa strop done, and I'm using it as recommended, but honestly, the challenge to me is never really knowing if I'm stropping correctly and enough.....I guess time will tell.

I should be here pretty regularly as I continue my SR journey....I think it will be a while before I'm able to do a complete pass, much less a complete shave with just the SR. Any and all advice/guidance is encouraged.

proxy.php

Another big remodeling day. I was routing PEX until late, but finally got to shave. The new razor took over 6 weeks to travel from Latvia to my shave den.

8/8 barber’s notch Rigarazor, a heavy grind indeed
Schick 66 / Platinum-Plus (2)
Cella / custom boar
Alum/Lucky Tiger/Proraso green

A8E4346B-8749-45D6-8B5D-242CA6EDF23F.jpeg

The Rigarazor is the new champ of ‘shave ready’. Stropped on Tony Miller steerhide, immediately got a smooth and close two pass shave. I will not be putting a finish on this razor until it demands it. At this point, I won’t even go through my pasted diamond progression.

The Schick did a little sideways clean up on the trouble spots and I was done. The alum and AS had no complaints. And so, to bed.

Flintstone65

My Daily Double turned into a Daily Triple -- I don't know what gets into my head at times. I'm just starting out learning how to use an SR, so let's throw a new-to-me Barber Shaver/Shavette into the mix! Should we include a safety razor in case my nascent skills aren't enough??? Nah!!!!

So let's walk through this shave. The first pass was going to be the Hess Ezy Shaver (Ezy...I guess that fits better on the handle than it's real name: "Not REALLY Ezy, but not too difficult....eventually"). The blade was a new Fromm hair shaper blade, and those are typically less harsh than the Personna hair shaper blades, but it didn't feel that way this morning. Half-way into the first pass, I had managed a few weepers, a nick, and some irritation on one side of my neck. At that point, I pulled out the Schick G and finished that pass without further incident.

Pass #2 was scheduled for the Gold Dollar, and at this point I'm wondering if this is a good idea....I've probably lost the excellent edge with my lousy stropping technique, or perhaps I damaged it on the 200K balsa wood. Despite my trepidation, I start shaving my right cheek with the Gold Dollar, and the blade feels.....heavenly. Honestly, I'm sure I'll continue to use my hair shaper blades and "shavettes" (just because I think they're cool and I want to master them); but if someone said, choose: hair shaper or straight razor....man, that's a no-brainer of a choice, even after only using an SR twice. I kept the Gold Dollar's shave to the cheeks, upper lip and neck, and it did a very nice job. I haven't tackled the chin yet, I know from the Sextoblade that the chin area is a tough area for me. If I were a daily SR shaver, I'd grow a goatee....I've tried growing one before, and I always look like Maynard Krebs ("The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis")....actually Bob Denver's Maynard Krebs half-goatee looks better than what I can do.

So the mostly 2nd-pass by the Gold Dollar was NICE!!! And I was relieved that the edge still felt good. The Schick dutifully fell into place and cleaned up the chin for me, then I gave the Schick it's own 3rd pass (mostly ATG with some XTG), and the shave was over. After a cold water rinse and a splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel, my face actually didn't look bad. I didn't need the alum to stop any bleeding, and most of the irritation was fading....I do have a couple of spots that are going to take at least a couple (maybe 3 or 4) days to really return to normal.

In terms of post-shave razor clean-up, I've been rinsing the blade (careful to keep the handle dry, during and after the shave), then wiping the blade with a towel (but keeping it away from the bevel area and edge), then stropping 10 laps on the cloth (to dry the edge). Then 50 to 60 laps (edge trailing light strops) on the balsa 200K. Then back to the cloth for another 10, then to the leather for 20, then a q-tip of mineral oil (being careful around the edge). When I get ready to shave with it again, I'll strop on the cloth for another 10 laps, then 10 on the leather. I know I probably don't have to strop on the leather before I put it away -- but my rationale is that I need the practice, and I don't think it's hurting the edge (assuming I'm doing it right).

I have to say that I don't like stropping. I'm holding the strop almost vertical, and in the upward direction I get what sounds like the "right" sound, but going down it makes almost no sound and I question whether the blade is touching the strop. Sometimes I get sound on both down and up strokes, but not as often as I'd like. Same with the balsa strop....one direction it feels like the blade is making the proper contact (going left to right), but going right to left, it's as if the blade isn't touching....not all the time, but the majority of time. Any tips or suggestions on stropping technique? I've watched a lot of videos, read more than a few posts, but I always feel like I'm trying to pat my head and rub my tummy....it feels unnatural, and I feel totally uncoordinated. Part of it seems to be a trick of the eye....I do better when I can see the edge side (stropping on leather going up, and stropping on balsa going left to right).

Thanks for letting me fill up the page here. Here's the pic (Schick G was the unsung and not-pictured hero):
proxy.php

I’m in a certain groove - busy work days, heavy grind SRs. Today I managed to shave before bedtime, before dinner even.

Portland Razor Company Gustave 7/8
Ever-Ready Shovelhead - Gem PTFE (10)
Omega 10065 / BOSC Special Reserve Cedar, Lavender, Wood
Burt’s Bees balm, Bay Rum mix

932649B9-D681-42A5-9D8F-C61EE55E677D.jpeg

Fast shave, fast post, back to work!

My Daily Double turned into a Daily Triple -- I don't know what gets into my head at times. I'm just starting out learning how to use an SR, so let's throw a new-to-me Barber Shaver/Shavette into the mix! Should we include a safety razor in case my nascent skills aren't enough??? Nah!!!!

So let's walk through this shave. The first pass was going to be the Hess Ezy Shaver (Ezy...I guess that fits better on the handle than it's real name: "Not REALLY Ezy, but not too difficult....eventually"). The blade was a new Fromm hair shaper blade, and those are typically less harsh than the Personna hair shaper blades, but it didn't feel that way this morning. Half-way into the first pass, I had managed a few weepers, a nick, and some irritation on one side of my neck. At that point, I pulled out the Schick G and finished that pass without further incident.

Pass #2 was scheduled for the Gold Dollar, and at this point I'm wondering if this is a good idea....I've probably lost the excellent edge with my lousy stropping technique, or perhaps I damaged it on the 200K balsa wood. Despite my trepidation, I start shaving my right cheek with the Gold Dollar, and the blade feels.....heavenly. Honestly, I'm sure I'll continue to use my hair shaper blades and "shavettes" (just because I think they're cool and I want to master them); but if someone said, choose: hair shaper or straight razor....man, that's a no-brainer of a choice, even after only using an SR twice. I kept the Gold Dollar's shave to the cheeks, upper lip and neck, and it did a very nice job. I haven't tackled the chin yet, I know from the Sextoblade that the chin area is a tough area for me. If I were a daily SR shaver, I'd grow a goatee....I've tried growing one before, and I always look like Maynard Krebs ("The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis")....actually Bob Denver's Maynard Krebs half-goatee looks better than what I can do.

So the mostly 2nd-pass by the Gold Dollar was NICE!!! And I was relieved that the edge still felt good. The Schick dutifully fell into place and cleaned up the chin for me, then I gave the Schick it's own 3rd pass (mostly ATG with some XTG), and the shave was over. After a cold water rinse and a splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel, my face actually didn't look bad. I didn't need the alum to stop any bleeding, and most of the irritation was fading....I do have a couple of spots that are going to take at least a couple (maybe 3 or 4) days to really return to normal.

In terms of post-shave razor clean-up, I've been rinsing the blade (careful to keep the handle dry, during and after the shave), then wiping the blade with a towel (but keeping it away from the bevel area and edge), then stropping 10 laps on the cloth (to dry the edge). Then 50 to 60 laps (edge trailing light strops) on the balsa 200K. Then back to the cloth for another 10, then to the leather for 20, then a q-tip of mineral oil (being careful around the edge). When I get ready to shave with it again, I'll strop on the cloth for another 10 laps, then 10 on the leather. I know I probably don't have to strop on the leather before I put it away -- but my rationale is that I need the practice, and I don't think it's hurting the edge (assuming I'm doing it right).

I have to say that I don't like stropping. I'm holding the strop almost vertical, and in the upward direction I get what sounds like the "right" sound, but going down it makes almost no sound and I question whether the blade is touching the strop. Sometimes I get sound on both down and up strokes, but not as often as I'd like. Same with the balsa strop....one direction it feels like the blade is making the proper contact (going left to right), but going right to left, it's as if the blade isn't touching....not all the time, but the majority of time. Any tips or suggestions on stropping technique? I've watched a lot of videos, read more than a few posts, but I always feel like I'm trying to pat my head and rub my tummy....it feels unnatural, and I feel totally uncoordinated. Part of it seems to be a trick of the eye....I do better when I can see the edge side (stropping on leather going up, and stropping on balsa going left to right).

Thanks for letting me fill up the page here. Here's the pic (Schick G was the unsung and not-pictured hero):
proxy.php

I usually had my hanging strop going up at around a 45 degree angle. Maybe a little closer to horizontal even. And with my paddle strop I use it horizontal to a little bit downward angle.
Trying mounting the hanging strop lower so it's not so vertical may help.

New (to me) brushless product

Mollé (now by Lucky Tiger) is an old school brushless cream. Having now used it exactly once, I now understand why clog proof razors became a thing. I knew its reputation, so I tried two razors whose clog properties I wanted to contrast.

Fatip Lo Storto Originale (Piccolo handle) / Feather(1)
Schick 66 / Gillette Platinum-Plus (3)
Lucky Tiger Mollé - applied sparingly
Alum, Lucky Tiger ASFT, Pinaud Lime Sec (first use)

4F14EE42-9442-4FC7-9149-A16F7B580D97.jpeg

Two pass/touch up shave was close and very comfortable. The cream wants to stick to everything. I hear it is very difficult to get out of a brush. It also mutes blade feel.

The razors got visibly clogged, but neither one stopped shaving. Only very hot water would rinse them off. Not a bad scent, but more ‘beautician’ than ‘barbershop’.

My skin felt very different than usual after applying alum, still smooth and lubricated. The Lime Sec barely delivered any burn. Either Lime Sec is unlike all other Pinaud I’ve used, or the Mollé is protective there, too.

The big pluses - the comfort, and a very close, effective shave in the worst trouble spot. A first use Feather may have much responsibility for that.

A significant minus - if you like your equipment spotless after the shave, you will have to work for it. It leaves a film, even after copious hot water rinsing. I may relegate this cream to a small designated set of quick shave razors.

Don’t try this at home

Ralf Aust 5/8
Fat handle Gillette Tech / Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1)
Lucky Tiger Mollé
Alum/Osage Rub astringent/Stephan Bay Rum

EC49D98F-12BC-4E40-9F20-C7569CCA3F75.jpeg

I made it work, but Mollé+SR doesn’t add up to much. Good thing there was a DE to clean up. My first shave with a Tech, though I’ve had some Tech tag-alongs in inventory for years. Mostly, if one shows up in a lot, I PIF it away. I like those handles, though.

So, not an impressive shave. My highest achievement was not wiping the Rapira, in spite of the Mollé film. The cream, while bogging down the SR, was very protective, as before. I did enjoy my first post-shave with the Rub and Rum.

Well I tried having a very UK shave Friday. I got out my Made in England ER 1912 and my British Made Pal Injectomatic. Then I whipped up a fantastic lather with some UK based Wickham 1912 Irish Fern. This is my first use of Wickham and man this stuff smells great and lathers wonderfully. I loaded a 6th use Gem SS PTFE and started the shave with the ER. This is my second time using this razor. I took a few strokes and looked closely at the razor. I had heard the English/British ERs are more aggressive but this one is mild but I LOVE the handle. Anyway I looked closer and saw that the blade wasn't seated right. Readjust take a stroke look close. Not seated tight. Ok what gives well the blade is shifting all over. Grab my US made ER 1912 try things out, works perfect. Hmmmm. As far as I can tell the blade stops are bent up slightly making to much room for the blade to slip to far under them and making enough room for it to not get properly engage by the back clip. So do I adjust the blade stops? Or do I find a way to adjust the back clip push the blade forward further with would make it a more aggressive razor?
Anyways I finished up the rest of the shave with a pound in the US made ER. Results are a fantastic shave.

20200612_143905_HDR~2.jpg

Flintstone65

Well I tried having a very UK shave Friday. I got out my Made in England ER 1912 and my British Made Pal Injectomatic. Then I whipped up a fantastic lather with some UK based Wickham 1912 Irish Fern. This is my first use of Wickham and man this stuff smells great and lathers wonderfully. I loaded a 6th use Gem SS PTFE and started the shave with the ER. This is my second time using this razor. I took a few strokes and looked closely at the razor. I had heard the English/British ERs are more aggressive but this one is mild but I LOVE the handle. Anyway I looked closer and saw that the blade wasn't seated right. Readjust take a stroke look close. Not seated tight. Ok what gives well the blade is shifting all over. Grab my US made ER 1912 try things out, works perfect. Hmmmm. As far as I can tell the blade stops are bent up slightly making to much room for the blade to slip to far under them and making enough room for it to not get properly engage by the back clip. So do I adjust the blade stops? Or do I find a way to adjust the back clip push the blade forward further with would make it a more aggressive razor?
Anyways I finished up the rest of the shave with a pound in the US made ER. Results are a fantastic shave.

View attachment 1113013
I'm sorry to hear that the Brit 1912 is giving you trouble. I'd ask my "go-to guy" for advice on how to fix it, but that's you! ;) As to the Irish Fern, I haven't tried or smelled that one yet, but I've been extremely happy with the various fern scents I have tried....and I've heard good things about the 1912 soap!

View attachment 1113013

At least you caught it before it caught you! 1912 heads have all been solid for me, but blade stops do seem to be the weakest point in ASR designs. I’m always a little surprised that the springs can outlive the stops.

That fern soap sure sounds nice. :thumbup1:

Day off shave

Prep:
Hot water rinse, applied a lot of mentholated Col Conk Amber, brushed it up and rinsed it off 3 times with an Omega 10065 that I’m breaking in. The unbleached boar knot is still eating lather.

Shave:
Christy vintage SE / Personna injector (1)
Schick 66 / Gillette Platinum-Plus (4)
Mollé cream

After:
Alum and Aqua Velva Ice Blue + Osage Rub 3:1

07046AFD-A0DB-4CC6-9A4E-170811E89E9F.jpeg

This shave would never have been imagined, let alone accomplished, without @pelicanachic ’s experience, encouragement, and practical advice. Thanks!

The Christy came to me 18 months as an oddball in a mainly Gillette vintage lot from @sig303 . It is a three piece razor in the sense that the combed blade tray slides entirely out of the main razor frame and the massage (safety) bar can be unclipped from the tray.

My razor opinions:
>The Christy handle is too long. But I love the anorexic diameter!
>The blade alignment (with both the Personna and original Christy blades) is a bit scary, visually.
>The sliding blade tray/open comb unit fit is a little loose with a thinner injector blade loaded.
>The massage bar is wiggly.

Loading was made easier using two tiny alnico disk magnets to hold the blade to the tray. I left them in place for the shave. Seems improbable, but once it’s loaded, the Christy is a great shaver. I did plenty of face contortion for skin stretching, so I did not fully test the massage bar’s ability to replace a barber’s expert fingers.

I had the Schick 66 on standby, unneeded. I assigned it 4 buffing strokes out of pity. The shave was very close and comfortable, a DFS++ or better. Alum feedback was very light. AS burn was minimal.

This was more than a novelty shave. The loading is too onerous for for a rotation regular, but I will use up this blade. Christy will move up in status from “lost in the archives, unlamented” to “SE ready reserve”.

The oily Mollé is highly protective. I am sure it muted the blade feel, which was noticeable. There was no problem with clogging, though the Mollé was difficult to rinse, as always. The blade never felt insecure or poorly seated. I did not need to adjust the blade or any razor parts during the shave.

Bottom line, a worthy razor design that gave me a good shave with some focused attention on my part.
981F5C05-5E92-497F-9E8E-858BE80A2776.jpeg

If the Christy blades were sharp and readily available back in the day, it should have been successful. Christys seem plentiful enough on the bay. My razor came to me with four of the five supplied blades still in their packaging, so the original owner probably chose a different razor right away.

I'm sorry to hear that the Brit 1912 is giving you trouble. I'd ask my "go-to guy" for advice on how to fix it, but that's you! ;) As to the Irish Fern, I haven't tried or smelled that one yet, but I've been extremely happy with the various fern scents I have tried....and I've heard good things about the 1912 soap!
At least you caught it before it caught you! 1912 heads have all been solid for me, but blade stops do seem to be the weakest point in ASR designs. I’m always a little surprised that the springs can outlive the stops.

That fern soap sure sounds nice. :thumbup1:

Yeah I should be able to fix the stops but I will have to be very careful. The shave would have been a really cool combo with the UK and the 1912 theme. It was still a great shave all in all.
The only other Fougere I have is the Mer Shaving Orange Fougere donkeys milk soap. And I LOVE that scent so I figured I'd like this Irish Fern. It did not disappoint.

Top Bottom