I think this fits, Gents
DAILY DOUBLE

Wednesday, March 11
ATT SE1 Proline(2)
GC84-P Feather(5)
Acca Kappa
Wickham 1912 Club Cola
the "Veg"

Tonight I picked up the GC84-P and started with a WTG pass under my nose and chin and down the middle of my neck. The Feather(5) is still cutting nice and smooth.

I used the SE1 for the rest of the 1st pass, still shaving WTG, I can feel the blade on my face slicing through the stubble smoothly, leaving not much behind. When I say I feel the blade, I do mean I feel the blade, very much like an SR. This is a capable razor, but it demands respect.

The Acca Kappa isn't my prettiest badger, but boy does it do a great job. I could easily use this as my only brush.

I shaved my neck ATG for the 2nd pass with the SE1, ear to nose on my face and chin, and WTG under my nose.

After rinsing, the only spots with any stubble were the hollows under my jawline, so I picked up the GC84 and used it for ATG touch-up.

The Witch hazel tingled some, and the "Veg made its presence known, but cooled off quickly. I finished up with Nivea balm and HA.

My face feels like glass, my neck is a bit tender but very smooth. This was a very nice shave.
20200311_174221[1].jpg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Very nice gear and photo. Did you make the razor stands in the background? The little straight razor stands look really cool. Also what is the big nut and bolt from?
I did make the razor stands.... The bolt was a college machine shop project from 1981. When I turned it in and asked the teacher for the next project, his reply was, "I have been teaching this class for 20 years and you are the first student to finish all of the projects. Why don't you make a nut to fit and have it chrome plated?"
Cost me $25........

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Friday, March 13
ATT SE1 Proline(4)
Piccolo SE Feather(7)
Acca Kappa
AdP Colonia
the "Veg"

It has been a long week and I wanted to pamper my face so I got out the AdP and let the intoxicating aroma waft through the room...... the lather is quite good also. Post shave leaves my skin supple.
Of course the Acca Kappa was made for this wonderful shaving soap from Italy.
20200313_195856[1].jpg

I had a great shave today. I've been meaning to do this shave most of the week but haven't shaved in a while. To tired to look back to confirm but I believe the last shave was Sunday. This one is for @camoloc who has been talking about these two razors. I did the right side with the BT and the left with the FW. Great shave all around and with a side by side comparison I'd say these two are closer in efficiency than I had thought previously. The BT being ever so slightly more efficient. I was still able to pull off a very socially acceptable shave and just wonderful pass and light touch up.
The FW just took the slightest bit more touch up to achieve the same results. Either way an excellent shave can be had with either razor. And a very fun relaxing and refreshing shave can be had with the 2 together.

Side by side double today. I had two blades I was thinking of tossing in the bin, but they each found redemption.

Razors:
Karve OC-C / Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3)
Ever-Ready Shovelhead / Gem PTFE (10)
Soaps:
Cella (remainder on the spoon I used to refill my son’s soap bowl from the block) mixed with Ogallala Bay Rum shaving stick generously slathered on my face. This accidental combination made an excellent dense, thick lather.
Brush:
NOS Ever-Ready 100, just breaking in
Aftershave:
Aqua Velva

For the photos:

Side by side double today. I had two blades I was thinking of tossing in the bin, but they each found redemption.

Razors:
Karve OC-C / Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3)
Ever-Ready Shovelhead / Gem PTFE (10)
Soaps:
Cella (remainder on the spoon I used to refill my son’s soap bowl from the block) mixed with Ogallala Bay Rum shaving stick generously slathered on my face. This accidental combination made an excellent dense, thick lather.
Brush:
NOS Ever-Ready 100, just breaking in
Aftershave:
Aqua Velva

For the photos:

Interesting. I really like Cella. I haven't tried Ogallala Bay Rum.

Interesting. I really like Cella. I haven't tried Ogallala Bay Rum.

The Ogallala Bay Rum (cedar and sage variety) is a fine shave stick in its own right. The combo with the Cella was very dense and slick. I need to experiment to try and determine whether it was that soap combination or the eccentric method of lathering I used.

It all happened because I used a soup spoon to reload Cella into my son’s bowl. Rather than washing the remainder of the Cella off the spoon, I just tossed the spoon in a mug and used it to load my brush a couple times.

This time there was just a little Cella left. I loaded up, face lathered, then washed it off as prep. It looked like there wasn’t much soap left in the brush, so I checked by lathering with a smidge of water in a bowl. Yep, running low. For no particular reason, I grabbed the Ogallala stick, held it under hot running water for a few seconds, applied it to my face a little more generously than usual and then face lathered again without rinsing the Cella from the brush. So this in no way resembled any of my usual lathering approaches.

The lather took a little time to develop. It was very dense, not much air at all, but it flowed well thru the two different combs. The shave was very comfortable and very close using the two blades I had been thinking about discarding.

So is it the technique or is it those particular soaps? Was the brush a factor?

So I will attempt to replicate the lathering technique with Cella and Ogallala BR, then use other products and see if I get similar results. And perhaps try with different brushes. Science!!

The Ogallala Bay Rum (cedar and sage variety) is a fine shave stick in its own right. The combo with the Cella was very dense and slick. I need to experiment to try and determine whether it was that soap combination or the eccentric method of lathering I used.

It all happened because I used a soup spoon to reload Cella into my son’s bowl. Rather than washing the remainder of the Cella off the spoon, I just tossed the spoon in a mug and used it to load my brush a couple times.

This time there was just a little Cella left. I loaded up, face lathered, then washed it off as prep. It looked like there wasn’t much soap left in the brush, so I checked by lathering with a smidge of water in a bowl. Yep, running low. For no particular reason, I grabbed the Ogallala stick, held it under hot running water for a few seconds, applied it to my face a little more generously than usual and then face lathered again without rinsing the Cella from the brush. So this in no way resembled any of my usual lathering approaches.

The lather took a little time to develop. It was very dense, not much air at all, but it flowed well thru the two different combs. The shave was very comfortable and very close using the two blades I had been thinking about discarding.

So is it the technique or is it those particular soaps? Was the brush a factor?

So I will attempt to replicate the lathering technique with Cella and Ogallala BR, then use other products and see if I get similar results. And perhaps try with different brushes. Science!!

I have a fair collection of soap but I rarely mix them. Please keep us posted on your findings.
I do recall mixing Cella with something and getting a good result. I'm not positive but I think it was a Dragons blood goats milk soap that just didn't quite have the performance I wanted but had great scent. I really wish I could find a good Dragons blood shave soap.

Lather test plus Lo Storto test drive

Received my Fatip Lo Storto OC slant from Connaught yesterday, shortly after my shave. Today I wanted to recreate yesterday’s Greek yoghurt face lather and give the Lo Storto a start. Detailing my ever-evolving beard line has been a problem, so my Focus Al Slim shavette was given a shot at that.

Fatip Lo Storto / Rapira Swedish Supersteel (4)
Focus Al Slim shavette / Supermax BD (1)
Omega 10005 boar
Cella + Ogallala Bay Rum Sage Cedar stick (as above)
Alum, witch hazel mix, homebrew Tanqueray High Mountain Juniper AS
462A27DA-2F3B-4B70-A2F7-03FDEC95FBD1.jpeg

The lather continues to amaze. I think it will work best with aggressive razors that resist clogging. I think it would work poorly with a closed comb razor and might be too sticky to work well with some straights. That said, it was great with the OC and the super sharp, freshly bladed shavette.

I discarded the Rapira Swedish Supersteel blade. It still had some life, but I wanted to get back to my preferred blades.

Oh yeah, great shave, 5 out of 5.

I have a fair collection of soap but I rarely mix them. Please keep us posted on your findings.

I have been using creams (to get some glycerin, menthol, or both involved) as a base below a soap, but never thought it could be worthwhile to mix two soaps. It was just serendipity when two soaps aligned, primarily due to the frugality/laziness nexus in my personality. (I have entirely overcome the frugality component in relation to my various shaving Acquisition Disorders.)

So now a new season of the ‘Mad Shavologist’ premiers! I will do some more testing, then most likely start a thread to find out who has already done this, or thinks it’s stupid, or is willing to give it a whirl. So I’m off to unwrap a shave stick.

I had an excellent shave today with an Enders Speed and a shick proline B20. I also used a Dunham duplex a bit. The available blades realy let this razor down. I got creative and put a Feather proguard in one side just to see what this razor would be like with a good blade. The blade exposure was Way to much but I shaved with ot just a little. WOW I wish I could get good blades for this razor. I like the handling. Lather came courtesy of cold water mixed Cella and Mer shavings mysore sandalwood using a Maggard SHD two band badger brush.

Gem G-bar
Gem BMMOC
Meijer SS blade
Mer shavings mysore sandalwood + Cella
SHD two band badger in handle by me.
Witch hazel splash.

More complicated combo lathering - double doubles

A couple days back I did a repeat double, with the Fatip Lo Storto Originale OC slant and the Focus Al Slim shavette. The soap combo was Proraso green bowl and RazoRock Gold Label stick.

Then today, a side-by-side slant test:
>Fatip Lo Storto Originale (R) / RazoRock Wunderbar (L)
>New Astra SP in each
>CBL Tonsorial Roasted Oatmeal Stout / Palmolive stick
>Semogue boar
>Alum/Texas 10X Face Freezer/Florida Water

4D5E4907-6E5A-470C-9516-1CBF334CD165.jpeg

The complicated combo lathering approach continues to work for me. The lather does clog the closed comb Wunderbar, so I need to rinse it often. Both razors gave a close, irritation free shave. This was my first use of the Palmolive stick. I don’t know why Colgate-Palmolive think their soap should be green rather than white. Nice scent, though.

Groove or rut? At least it’s a new croap sample and AS.

Fatip Lo Storto Originale, Piccolo handle / Astra SP (3)
Focus Slim Al shavette / Supermax Blue Diamond (3)
Murphy&McNeil Ouroboros croap + RR Gold Label stick
Semogue boar
adidas dynamic pulse AS

779E00B5-85EB-4C25-A9CA-0DD412B2BBC9.jpeg

This new dense yogurt lathering approach continues to work really well with OC razors. I need to give it a whirl with a real SR. It is a little heavy going with the light shavette. I would love a stainless version of the Focus Slim just to get some extra weight. Smooth close shave. The slickness of the lather is encouraging me to do a lot of touch up, without the cost in suffering for over shaving.

Another Lo Storto side-by-side

Fatip Lo Storto Originale, Piccolo handle / Astra SP (3)
Above the Tie 2014 S2, Ti handle / Astra SP (4)
Murphy&McNeil Ouroboros croap + Palmolive stick
Semogue 1470 boar
Alum, Pinaud Clubman

AE4662CB-CB7F-4397-A217-DAC4553AE363.jpeg

The dense lather technique gave me perhaps my best all time shave with the ATT S2. I’m calling it a tie between the brassy new kid from Italy and the American veteran with the peerless status as a stainless OC slant.

I had about 7 days to knock down so I went with two of my most efficient open come razors I have. The results were a very comfortable close shave with little effort. I used the Star for the front of my neck and beard line and the Henckels took out the stubble on the back of my neck.

The blues...

Henkotsu kamisori
Schick 66 / Personna 2
TOBS sandalwood + Palmolive stick mix
Custom olive wood boar
Witch hazel, alum, 3H balm, bay rum mix

A3E0AB88-B899-4156-8735-E2F53995AE33.jpeg

The last shave with the kami was excellent. That was five months ago. Late last night I carefully stropped it on my balsa progression, linen, and steerhide.

It was a rough shave, the razor cut whiskers, but that was the only faint praise I can give it. My neck was too irritated for me to use the Schick to go beyond “socially acceptable”. Quit while I was unbloodied and applied a variety of remedies.

The blues...

Henkotsu kamisori
Schick 66 / Personna 2
TOBS sandalwood + Palmolive stick mix
Custom olive wood boar
Witch hazel, alum, 3H balm, bay rum mix

View attachment 1084123

The last shave with the kami was excellent. That was five months ago. Late last night I carefully stropped it on my balsa progression, linen, and steerhide.

It was a rough shave, the razor cut whiskers, but that was the only faint praise I can give it. My neck was too irritated for me to use the Schick to go beyond “socially acceptable”. Quit while I was unbloodied and applied a variety of remedies.

Strange. Beautiful razors though.

Top Bottom