What's new

The Daily Double

Tatara Nodachi/H&S N075-SS, BIC.

The weight and polish of the H&S gives it a much different feel from the Nodachi. A bit smoother, the Nodachi might have a slight edge in efficiency.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Daily Double
Henckels
Piccolo
Derby(1)
Omega boar
What the Puck Orange Sunrise
View attachment 1018552

I managed to tame the edge on the Henckels with some love from my arkie, a fresh Derby stropped on linen in my Piccolo, the scent of the Orange Sunrise made for a nice relaxing shave.

Tatara Nodachi/H&S N075-SS, BIC.

The weight and polish of the H&S gives it a much different feel from the Nodachi. A bit smoother, the Nodachi might have a slight edge in efficiency.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Very nice shaves Gentlemen.

For Today's Daily Double I used a new to me Enders speed Razor with a JB weld adapter and an Schick Proline B20 this was a very efficient combo, I will have e to test it out a bit more to be sure but this one shave told me the Speed rRazor may be a bit more aggressive than the Speed Shaver, time will tell.
I also used the PAA Alpha Ecliptic today with a 5th use Feather. This was for some reason a bit harsh today, which is odd because last time I used this combo it was very smooth.

20190920_182802.jpg

Had a nice cold water shave this morning.
Ever-Ready shovel head with Gem SS blade and Schick Golden 500 with chick blade.
Cold lathered Mer Shavings Fougere Bay on two band badger. Very enjoyable shave.

20190922_090223.jpg

Had a great shave today with a W. Clauberg straight razor and the Schick type B repeater loaded with a fresh schick proline B20. After a really cold shower I whipped up a very cold lather using Mer Shavings Fougere Orange on an Omega boar. My wife cleaned up the back of my neck for me with a schick Hydro-Magic. Finished things off with a splash of Tolsom and witch hazel and a cold water rinse.

20190927_105938.jpg

Had a great Daily Double with two of my favorite razors.
Hot shower prep.
First pass Gem Jr.Bar with 1st use Gem SS PTFE.
Second pass and cleanup Enders Speed Shaver with last use Proline B20.
Cyril R Salter wild rose whipped up with two band badger.
The last few drops of my Tolsom and witch hazel After Shave splash and a warm water rinse to finish things off.

20190929_083554.jpg

Doubled up with my new half blade shavette and a German 37 loaded with a Kai. Here is the picture, the full report is in the Slantember thread. I went all Sweeney Todd, but with the Kai!
164A4131-9BB5-4C45-B5E8-F8F9987ECD56.jpeg

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Daily Double
Gillette Red Tip SS
Merkur15C
Feather(3)
Omega S
Mithcell's Wool Fat
20190929_202417[1].jpg

First pass with the Merkur15c to compare with my new to me Gillette Red Tip Super Speed. This is also the first time using Mitchell's Wool Fat. I noticed it takes a bit of time to build a nice lather, but had enough for 3 passes, the last pass ATG on my neck, the Witch Hazel and Aqua Velva splash made for a very nice shave.

Doubled up with my new half blade shavette and a German 37 loaded with a Kai. Here is the picture, the full report is in the Slantember thread. I went all Sweeney Todd, but with the Kai!
View attachment 1021181

Well I'm glad you are able to post about your shaving adventure. I'll have to take a look in the Slantember thread to see how much blood you lost.

Daily Double
Gillette Red Tip SS
Merkur15C
Feather(3)
Omega S
Mithcell's Wool Fat
View attachment 1021309
First pass with the Merkur15c to compare with my new to me Gillette Red Tip Super Speed. This is also the first time using Mitchell's Wool Fat. I noticed it takes a bit of time to build a nice lather, but had enough for 3 passes, the last pass ATG on my neck, the Witch Hazel and Aqua Velva splash made for a very nice shave.

Very nice. I like that razor stand. Did you make it?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
DAILY DOUBLE
Piccollo/Gentile Plate
Red Tip Super Speed
Feather(4)
Omega boar
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Whitch Hazel/Layrite
20190930_144007[1].jpg

It has been a while since I last used the Gentile baseplate, the blade feel is almost the same as the Red Tip SS, but tops it in the efficiency category. 2 pass WTG/XTG for a BBS. The Layrite has a strong pumpkin note for the holidays...

DD OC open conspiracy for a poor shave

Pass 1 with the stainless Dovo Barbarossa NOT A SHAVETTE detail razor went very well
Pass 2 with the Karve 3” brass CB OC-B plate was sabotaged. The ‘new boar knot’ syndrome kicked in with my foxy reknotted ceramic handle. Suddenly the lather just disappeared. Loaded more Omega cream and... nothing. Would. Not. Lather. I slicked up my face with the unlatherable cream and gave it a go. No go.
Pass 3 and touchup. No fooling around. OC-D plate, whirled the new knot on top of a Williams puck until copious lather appeared. Should have changed out the carbon steel Tiger blade as well. It was new, yesterday! SAS, but not acceptable to a hobby shaver. But no issues with the alum or the AS. And there will be plenty of shaveable stubble tomorrow.
9ECFBD20-65C9-4674-AFB6-7F5A70EA5A0E.jpeg

And, no, I didn’t shave with the Karve plates in that configuration...

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
DD OC open conspiracy for a poor shave

Pass 1 with the stainless Dovo Barbarossa NOT A SHAVETTE detail razor went very well
Pass 2 with the Karve 3” brass CB OC-B plate was sabotaged. The ‘new boar knot’ syndrome kicked in with my foxy reknotted ceramic handle. Suddenly the lather just disappeared. Loaded more Omega cream and... nothing. Would. Not. Lather. I slicked up my face with the unlatherable cream and gave it a go. No go.
Pass 3 and touchup. No fooling around. OC-D plate, whirled the new knot on top of a Williams puck until copious lather appeared. Should have changed out the carbon steel Tiger blade as well. It was new, yesterday! SAS, but not acceptable to a hobby shaver. But no issues with the alum or the AS. And there will be plenty of shaveable stubble tomorrow.
View attachment 1022242
And, no, I didn’t shave with the Karve plates in that configuration...
John, I'm not sure I followed....was the knot the problem or the cream? I've never used Omega cream, but I am curious about it.

John, I'm not sure I followed....was the knot the problem or the cream? I've never used Omega cream, but I am curious about it.

This has usually been a problem for me with new boar knots, so I don’t suspect the Omega cream (first use). I haven’t bought a new boar brush in a while and had forgotten that, while I never have objected to a new boar odor, I often had to wash a brush (lather, rinse, repeat, a dozen times) to get lathers that didn’t quickly dissipate. I don’t know whether to blame the hog or the knot maker.

And, yes, I did grow up around Hoosier hogs and know what they smell like. :001_302:

Flintstone65

This has usually been a problem for me with new boar knots, so I don’t suspect the Omega cream (first use). I haven’t bought a new boar brush in a while and had forgotten that, while I never have objected to a new boar odor, I often had to wash a brush (lather, rinse, repeat, a dozen times) to get lathers that didn’t quickly dissipate. I don’t know whether to blame the hog or the knot maker.

And, yes, I did grow up around Hoosier hogs and know what they smell like. :001_302:
Ahhh, that is actually quite helpful to know. I tried a new soap Mitchell's Wool Fat -- which has a rep for being finicky (for some) to lather. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd time I used my new Boar, and the lather was....well, let's say "unimpressive". I figured I just need to crack the code on MWF (which is probably at least partly true), but it sounds like I can blame my then-stinky boar. I gave him (I mean if it were a girl pig it would be a gilt or a sow, right?) a quickie bath, but he still had his "au natural" scent when I tried the MWF.

I too have some experience with hogs -- my brother in law had a small hog operation for a few decades (a few 100 pigs). The smell (and the noise) was not for the faint of heart -- he had apparently developed olfactory fatigue, but I remember that smell was pretty much everywhere and on everything. I helped out there a few times while visiting....it made me appreciate my job when I returned....it is a tough farming operation.

All that said, I'm a fan of creams, and now I really like boar brushes. I probably won't get a case of BAD -- I've got several synthetics I like, and next time I'm in NYC, I'll probably pick up another boar at Pasteur's Pharmacy.

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Ahhh, that is actually quite helpful to know. I tried a new soap Mitchell's Wool Fat -- which has a rep for being finicky (for some) to lather. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd time I used my new Boar, and the lather was....well, let's say "unimpressive". I figured I just need to crack the code on MWF (which is probably at least partly true), but it sounds like I can blame my then-stinky boar. I gave him (I mean if it were a girl pig it would be a gilt or a sow, right?) a quickie bath, but he still had his "au natural" scent when I tried the MWF.
I'm still working on getting a consistent MWF lather, it really reminds me of how WMS gets all airy when you add water too soon. I have been using my Omega 10066 boar with MWF this week and got a really nice lather for tonight's shave. I started out with a wet brush on a dry puck, gave it about a hundred light swirls and went to the bowl. It seems to take about twice as long as my other soaps to build a great lather.........YMMV

Flintstone65

I'm still working on getting a consistent MWF lather, it really reminds me of how WMS gets all airy when you add water too soon. I have been using my Omega 10066 boar with MWF this week and got a really nice lather for tonight's shave. I started out with a wet brush on a dry puck, gave it about a hundred light swirls and went to the bowl. It seems to take about twice as long as my other soaps to build a great lather.........YMMV
Thanks for the tip....very much appreciated! I haven't gone back to the MWF yet, but when I do it sounds like a long load with a wet (but not sopping wet) brush, then some real time and patience either in the bowl or on the face to bring the lather up.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thanks for the tip....very much appreciated! I haven't gone back to the MWF yet, but when I do it sounds like a long load with a wet (but not sopping wet) brush, then some real time and patience either in the bowl or on the face to bring the lather up.
If you have a Cremo horse hair brush, that works really good with MWF also. Heck, the Cremo brush whips up a decent lather with WMS!

Flintstone65

If you have a Cremo horse hair brush, that works really good with MWF also. Heck, the Cremo brush whips up a decent lather with WMS!
So I just finished my shave with the MWF....wow!!! Can't thank you enough for the tip. I don't have a horse, but I used a 28mm synthetic (knot is set low, so it's dense and not a lot of flex). I counted off 100 swirls with a damp (but really shook-out brush), dampened my face and began to face lather. It didn't take long at all, and I ended up with a really thick and voluminous lather -- actually better than my Tabac (which is always good). I really like the scent and slickness of MWF, and now that I now how to lather it, I'm one happy shaver! Thanks again!!!

Top Bottom