What's new

The Daily Double

My first Daily Double -- and I really enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy the post-shave clean up all that much, but it was worth it to be able to drive 2 razors that I absolutely love!!! First pass was the Lather Catcher, the second pass was the MMOC, touch-up pass was the Lather Catcher. Ended up with was DFS that was bordering on a BBS.

Here's today's setup

First Razor: 1902 Kampfe Bros Star Lather Catcher (model HR 14A) with a GEM PTFE on its 5th shave
Second Razor: Gold (bump-less) Micromatic Open Comb with a Treet Carbon blade on its 4th shave
Soap: Stirling's Margaritas in the Artic | Brush: Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Brown Synthetic | A/S: Krampert's Finest Frostbite
View attachment 949517

Very nice setup Fred. Glad you enjoyed the shave. Multi razor shaves can be just for fun or a form and function endeavor. One of my most interesting shaves was when I had a get to get her years ago from another forums and one of the guys let me shave with four of his best straight razors. A Mastro Livi Damascus, an Iwasaki Japanese Kamisori and two other very high dollar razors I can't remember the names of. Someone later told me those razors likely totaled over $5,000 all together. But I frequently use 2 razors now for functionality.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Very nice setup Fred. Glad you enjoyed the shave. Multi razor shaves can be just for fun or a form and function endeavor. One of my most interesting shaves was when I had a get to get her years ago from another forums and one of the guys let me shave with four of his best straight razors. A Mastro Livi Damascus, an Iwasaki Japanese Kamisori and two other very high dollar razors I can't remember the names of. Someone later told me those razors likely totaled over $5,000 all together. But I frequently use 2 razors now for functionality.
Thank you -- it was interesting experiencing the difference in techniques that each razor required.

I used a Feather SS for the first pass and a J.R. Torrey for the second and third. As always, the Schick E2 sets the side burns and under the nose. BTW @GAW9576 , the little brass Schick E type with Bakelite handle make great neck shavers.

I used a Feather SS for the first pass and a J.R. Torrey for the second and third. As always, the Schick E2 sets the side burns and under the nose. BTW @GAW9576 , the little brass Schick E type with Bakelite handle make great neck shavers.

I've been wanting to pick up a few different razors and the E type is definitely one of them but I have to clear a few things out before I pick anything up. And things just aren't clearing out as fast as I would like them to. Patience is a virtue that I've always wished I possessed. Unfortunately it's difficult to attain.
Of course I say that jokingly I'm very patient with certain things just not others.

This is my Daily Double combo setup for today. It's been quite awhile since I last used a straight razor, so I just used it for the first pass on my cheeks. I used the Gem MMCP for the rest of the shave and my wife cleaned up the back of my neck with the Gillette. The Wade and Butcher could use a trip across the hones but there was no drama.
A Cella lather provided great cushion and glide for a very smooth shave with almost zero irritation. I love the scent of Cella I just wish it was slightly stronger.
This is the 10th shave for the Gem blade flipping each time. And must be about 20 shaves on the KAI in the Gillette, although those are mostly just the back of the neck.
Now I just need to get an injector to throw into the mix and I'll be all set.

20190209_085614~2.jpg

Last edited:

Flintstone65

This was my daily double....a 1924 Ever-Ready ("Shovel Head") and Micromatic Clog-Pruf. 1st and 2nd passes by the ER took me to a DFS, and the MMCP's 3rd pass brought the BBS. It was a great shave!!!
IMG_1505 (1).jpg If you haven't tried shaving with more than 1 razor, you don't know what you're missing!!!

Had a great Daily Double shave today.
Star razor with new gem stainless blade
And the Gillette took care of the back of the neck with a 4th use KAI blade.
I tried a very cold water shave with cold water in the scuttle chamber, and Cella lather and it went quite well. I think the cold tightens the skin more and makes the hair stand up more in the problem areas on my neck.

20190213_152145_HDR~2.jpg

I tried a very cold water shave with cold water in the scuttle chamber, and Cella lather and it went quite well. I think the cold tightens the skin more and makes the hair stand up more in the problem areas on my neck.

View attachment 952599
The Gillette looks wonderful.

I used a Feather for a first pass ATG on my neck, WTG under the nose, and ATG on the corners. The pre 1935 Geneva 6/8 SR handled the rest in two passes.

Flintstone65

View attachment 952599
I have to say that I switched to an all cold water shave a couple of months ago, and I really like it! I started out doing a cold water rinse to calm/sooth any irritation on my trouble-spots, then I figured I'd test out a full-on-start-finish with with super cold water to see how I liked it -- and I haven't wanted to return back to hot or even warm water.

I have to say that I switched to an all cold water shave a couple of months ago, and I really like it! I started out doing a cold water rinse to calm/sooth any irritation on my trouble-spots, then I figured I'd test out a full-on-start-finish with with super cold water to see how I liked it -- and I haven't wanted to return back to hot or even warm water.
Can I wait 'til Summer.....LOL!!

Flintstone65

:lol1: Absolutely, but it is sort of cheating -- at least if you live in the south. That's sort of the secret, where I live if the temp drops below 40 (which isn't often), then my cold water is very cold; but most months of the year (and especially spring-summer), the cold water just never feels any colder than warm. Probably why I've been so successful at it :lol:

Outstanding. What's your strategy with the DE?

I'm not sure I'd call it a strategy, that would mean I know what I'm doing. :001_rolle

I'm just getting started with Straight razors (shave #5), so I've been using a DE to clean up what i've missed, which has been quite a bit. That is, until my last shave I was able to make a pass WTG and a successful pass ATG with a Straight so all I needed was a quick ATG pass with the DE to end up with a great shave.

So technically, I guess I'm using a DE for a crutch until I get better with Straight Razors. Well, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I want to give up my Safety Razors all together. I have a lot of very nice razors that I get a great shave with. I guess I'll continue to use both until I get proficient with a SR and then see what happens. :a38:

I'm not sure I'd call it a strategy, that would mean I know what I'm doing. :001_rolle

I'm just getting started with Straight razors (shave #5), so I've been using a DE to clean up what i've missed, which has been quite a bit. That is, until my last shave I was able to make a pass WTG and a successful pass ATG with a Straight so all I needed was a quick ATG pass with the DE to end up with a great shave.

So technically, I guess I'm using a DE for a crutch until I get better with Straight Razors. Well, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I want to give up my Safety Razors all together. I have a lot of very nice razors that I get a great shave with. I guess I'll continue to use both until I get proficient with a SR and then see what happens. :a38:
Try this, do an initial no detail pass with your DE and the last two passes with your SR sometime. I find the SR works it’s magic after reducing the beard a bit

The Gillette looks wonderful.

I used a Feather for a first pass ATG on my neck, WTG under the nose, and ATG on the corners. The pre 1935 Geneva 6/8 SR handled the rest in two passes.

Thank you. I took the worn gold plating off with bar keepers friend. Worked wonderfully.

Had a pretty good shave today, Gem MMOC with Gem stainless ptfe 2nd flip. And as usual my wife cleaned up the back of my neck with the Gillette short handle Black Beauty with KAI blade. No brush today because I'm making a new home for the knot on my only brush. Well I have other brushes in the house, but thay aren't really mine. Cella works ok with no brush in a pinch BTW.
20190217_070836_HDR.jpg

Had a pretty good shave today, Gem MMOC with Gem stainless ptfe 2nd flip. And as usual my wife cleaned up the back of my neck with the Gillette short handle Black Beauty with KAI blade. No brush today because I'm making a new home for the knot on my only brush. Well I have other brushes in the house, but thay aren't really mine. Cella works ok with no brush in a pinch BTW.
View attachment 953742
I like the patina on the old Gillette. :a14:

Had a belated double yesterday. Morning was with my Gold Dollar #66. Then decided that evening to practice bowl lathering since I now have a bowl. Well, since I had a bowl of lather, . . .

My New LC hadn't seen much action lately, so took it for a drive.

Top Bottom