What's new

The Daily Double

Used the 15/16 Herder for two side and face shaves. One neck and clean up with the Folding Feather SS (FFSS) and as usual the Opening Type E (OTE) to set the side burns, lower lip, and nostril area. View attachment 988305

So I was reading a long saga on Herders elsewhere on B&B. How long did it take to get yours looking (and, I presume, shaving) so nice?

Mine sits thus. I now have marked the tray. .
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Here is my enders blade trimmed up and cleaned. Not perfect but it should work.

20190607_163939.jpg

So I was reading a long saga on Herders elsewhere on B&B. How long did it take to get yours looking (and, I presume, shaving) so nice?

I got mine from JR who sourced them from Germany. They were new old stock sans scales. JR made the scales to my preference. If you are going to get a SR and want it right, JR is the man.

08A1E429-7F71-439A-AA07-C703025F8602.jpeg

Top razor is a bone scaled pre 1890 Sheffield made Wade and Butcher 9/16 with a Barber's Notch tip. The bottom is a German made imported by John Holler, circa 1900, with the often seen fake bamboo scales.

View attachment 988614

Top razor is a bone scaled pre 1890 Sheffield made Wade and Butcher 9/16 with a Barber's Notch tip. The bottom is a German made imported by John Holler, circa 1900, with the often seen fake bamboo scales.

Schick L-1 type injector and a Gillette Tech, custom brush, and Irish Moos soap.

View attachment 988840

Very nice gentlemen. I was again to tired to shave tonight. The good news is my wife and I finished the most dug around the coop now we just have to fill it with water and find some crocodiles.

20190608_183331.jpg

Finally got to shave today and it was a very enjoyable comfortable Daily Double.
Hot shower prep
Bloom water preshave
Mer shaving Fougere bay on omega boar.
Goldish MMOC bumpless with Gem ss ptfe 11th flip first pass
Schick Golden 500 with 1st use chick blade first use.
Whitchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.

I only used the bloom water to make a great lather, I didn't even need to load the brush. This soap performs great.
BTW I don't know what the schick is reflecting but it is in excellent shape.

20190609_123036.jpg

Finally got to shave today and it was a very enjoyable comfortable Daily Double.
Hot shower prep
Bloom water preshave

I only used the bloom water to make a great lather, I didn't even need to load the brush. This soap performs great.

View attachment 988983
Very nice. I had forgotten you had a Golden 500. Mine gets slippery when wet.

I remember you mentioned the slippery when wet situation, I just really wanted one, and for $68 for the 4 razors I got that day I think I did pretty good. The 500 definitely has good grip in one direction but not great in the other. I really want to make a custom handle for a razor like this but this one is in to good a shape. Maybe I'll make one for my Hydromagic since I've already disassembled it and I now have a 500.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hot shower prep
Bloom water preshave

View attachment 988983
Very nice couple of razors, you seem to be choosing the cream of the crop with razors @GAW9576 .

Very nice couple of razors, you seem to be choosing the cream of the crop with razors @GAW9576 .

Thank you. They are good shavers and I enjoy the variety.
The MMOC actually has a dark red patch on the top. I should probably polish it up but I'm not sure how deep it goes. Have you ever seen dark red corrosion on brass?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thank you. They are good shavers and I enjoy the variety.
The MMOC actually has a dark red patch on the top. I should probably polish it up but I'm not sure how deep it goes. Have you ever seen dark red corrosion on brass?
More than likely staining from case dye or rust from carbon blades. I use stove top cleaner Wieman brand, use some neoprene gloves a tooth brush and a pot scrub pad(green or blue with the yellow foam scotch brite that is well used) and with in a couple of tries you will remove the worse and you finish with a metal polish or leave as is followed by a good water rinse because the Weiman cleaner is all right unless you super fussy IMO, Weiman also makes brass and copper cleaning solution.(proberly the same stuff) Don't use the Weiman on a gold coating because it will remove some of the fine coating unless it's done quickly followed by a rinse. I have used it on gold coating but I would hate to see some one fade out a nice gold razor. Chrome or Nickel no issues with the Weiman and it cleans the worse soap scum and stains.
cleaner (2).jpg
When I buy a used razor I like it clean and I use my process that is not recommended by some but it's clean and safe + when I'm done with very little damage to the razor it seems, more scratches and small dents from previous owners handling.
Have some great shaves!

Thank you for the tips. @Ron R and @Twelvefret I have left it for now and kept an eye on it. I keep it oiled with Camila oil, it doesn't seem to be spreading. I was thinking of using bar keepers friend to totally strip it and then polish it, but I wasn't ready to strip the gold completely. I love the look of my Gillette tech that is stripped to bare brass.

Today's late Daily Double.
Prep. Hot shower and Noxzema wash.
Pre. Oops forgot pre.
Soap. Mer Shaving sandalwood on two band badger.
First pass. Gem Damaskeene gem ss ptfe 1st use. WTG on neck.
2nd pass plus cheeks. Enders speed shaver with schick proline b20. ATG on neck WTG and ATG on cheeks
Post shave. Whitchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.

The Damaskeene was a bit harsh with a new blade, so the Enders had to deal with a pre irritated neck but did fantastic on the cheeks.

20190610_202441.jpg

@jmudrick this is my blade gap for my first shave. I think the blade may be set to far back. What do you think?
It's hard to photograph so I hope you can tell where it's at from the two angles I got it at.

20190610_202509.jpg
20190610_202723.jpg

Today's late Daily Double.
Prep. Hot shower and Noxzema wash.
Pre. Oops forgot pre.
Soap. Mer Shaving sandalwood on two band badger.
First pass. Gem Damaskeene gem ss ptfe 1st use. WTG on neck.
2nd pass plus cheeks. Enders speed shaver with schick proline b20. ATG on neck WTG and ATG on cheeks
Post shave. Whitchazle and Tolsom aftershave splash.

The Damaskeene was a bit harsh with a new blade, so the Enders had to deal with a pre irritated neck but did fantastic on the cheeks.

View attachment 989462

@jmudrick this is my blade gap for my first shave. I think the blade may be set to far back. What do you think?
It's hard to photograph so I hope you can tell where it's at from the two angles I got it at.

View attachment 989463 View attachment 989465
It looks set farther back than I have mine . Mine feels fairly aggressive but remains pretty easy to whip around in greyhound style. My green one I have set up more like yours and prefer the more blade forward setting.

It looks set farther back than I have mine . Mine feels fairly aggressive but remains pretty easy to whip around in greyhound style. My green one I have set up more like yours and prefer the more blade forward setting.

Thank you far all the advice and for helping me discover these razors usability with modern blades. I love the design and handling of this razor, I always found them intriguing but never purchased them because I thought they only took proprietary vintage blades.
I figured for my first run I would tend toward the mild as to not shed blood. I will bump the blade forward for the next shave. I used a dulled schick chick blade to adjust it once it was shimmed in place, so it will be easy to slide it forward a bit without taking everything apart.

DD about time for a new blade and the Fatips

Pass 1 Grande Nero
Pass 2 and touch up Piccolo SE
Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
RazoRock What the Puck Lime with a dab of Cremo to uberize and bring the mint
Whiting-Adams vintage boar

The Fatips deserve more slots in the rotation than they have been getting. I was shooting for just DFS but got a bit more with an easy, low drama double. Just what was needed on a day that will be a scorcher.

1E7C62F2-96D0-4B90-B387-E40E350FA5E3.jpeg

Top Bottom