What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Mark, the Jewel/Streamlines have gone pretty high and they don't look like they are coming down in price anytime soon. Occasionally, one will slip by at a reasonable price.

true that
proxy.php

I got rid of both of mine. I am not a collector and found them severely lacking as a shaver. The 1912's eat them up as a serious shaving tool.

Where do they come up short in your opinion?

Of all the SEs I've tried the 1912 remains my favorite, so I have a feeling the Streamline wouldn't change this either. It still looks cool though, and obviously has collector value.

Woah, I guess I own an Ever-Ready Jewel and an ER Jewel traveler set! Thanks for the case clarifications Inferno....

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Not the greatest thread for people just getting into SEs I gather..(As for the fuel its getting). Sorry for crashing by.

Last edited:
I think most of the problems that people encounter with a streamline/Jewel is if they have a loose top cap. I have one like that in my collection, and it does not shave well at all. In fact, it shaves very roughly leaving very irritated sections of skin. It is similar to an OCMM with worn down blade stops.
If the cap part on your streamline/Jewel doesn't sit tightly, I don't recommend using it. You will most likely get a terrible shave and a lot of irritation. Those in my collection that have a tight/secure seating cap shave like a dream.
(I hope that helps anyone out there.)

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I think most of the problems that people encounter with a streamline/Jewel is if they have a loose top cap. I have one like that in my collection, and it does not shave well at all. In fact, it shaves very roughly leaving very irritated sections of skin. It is similar to an OCMM with worn down blade stops.
If the cap part on your streamline/Jewel doesn't sit tightly, I don't recommend using it. You will most likely get a terrible shave and a lot of irritation. Those in my collection that have a tight/secure seating cap shave like a dream.
(I hope that helps anyone out there.)
Look very carefully at the pictures. I have seen a couple lately that when you zoom in the spring is not touching the front of it's square hole in the cap when the cap is closed and there is no blade in the razor. That indicates a weak spring.

Look very carefully at the pictures. I have seen a couple lately that when you zoom in the spring is not touching the front of it's square hole in the cap when the cap is closed and there is no blade in the razor. That indicates a weak spring.
Yeah. If it's loose, you are asking for a face mauling.

And those springs are not made any longer too.

I am sure those springs can be easily duplicated in a machine shop or a 3D printing place that has one that prints Metal objects.

If someone that has any of the above machines , it would be smart to duplicate such parts of popular razors and sell them for huge profits, it would probably coat someone 50 cents or a lot less to make a Stramline clip, and can easily sell it for 10-20 bucks, who wouldn't want to pay that to save a $150+ price of a stream line. Or any other rare expensive Razor for that matter. I know I would :eek:)

And those springs are not made any longer too.

I would think even with the prices going, you'd have to be pretty desperate to replace the spring. Drilling out the rivets, making a copy, having it chromed, and then re-riveting it into place wouldn't exactly be easy. It also probably wouldn't look as nice as the original.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I am sure those springs can be easily duplicated in a machine shop or a 3D printing place that has one that prints Metal objects.

If someone that has any of the above machines , it would be smart to duplicate such parts of popular razors and sell them for huge profits, it would probably coat someone 50 cents or a lot less to make a Stramline clip, and can easily sell it for 10-20 bucks, who wouldn't want to pay that to save a $150+ price of a stream line. Or any other rare expensive Razor for that matter. I know I would :eek:)
It seems the spring is made of brass which shows after a little wear. Another idea (I wouldn't try it myself) is to pop the cap off the pins that go through the holes where the cap pivots. Then bend the spring forward. You would need a tool to hold the spring back while you replace the cap. Personally, I won't bid on one showing a weak spring as I've described above; the springs on mine are okay. If you are contemplating a replate, ask the craftsman if he can do this, if no replate, ask a jeweler or a watchmaker. I did stuff like this when I worked in a jewelry store during college. Nowadays I stick with cleaning and polishing.

Last edited:
I got Feather SE from a Japanese vender. It doesn't sit on the tray. The spine is not the matter, just because of Feathers is 0.5mm-ish wider than Personnna Gem blades (bought from Connaught). Does anyone have Feather SE experiences with Streamline?

I had not heard of these until I stumbled across this thread. Now I have another "gotta have" to add to my already raging RAD. Thanks a lot, guys!!

The Streamline is a good razor without the magical powers that some people claim it's having.I like mine but often reaches for others. This thread in my mind is getting somewhat tiresome.. And dated.

I had not heard of these until I stumbled across this thread. Now I have another "gotta have" to add to my already raging RAD. Thanks a lot, guys!!

The Streamline is a good razor without the magical powers that some people claim it's having.I like mine but often reaches for others. This thread in my mind is getting somewhat tiresome.. And dated.

I am with Henrik on this one. It is a nice razor, and purdy. Someone on this forum, at a moment of candor said that it is very similar to the OCMM. I agree. It is a slightly more "tamed" or """"refined"""" OCMM and heavier. Slightly.

I bought mine at more than I should have paid for it. Used it a couple of times. Didn't see what was all the fuss about, and included it in a trade for a lovely straight razor. The chap who got it sold it on BST about 2 weeks later.

If you like aggressive razors, why not, but at some point, you can just try a shavette or a straight razor, where you have full control on the angle. I find straight razors to be much gentler on my skin actually...

Bottom line: nice razor but overhyped.

Not dated.....its a classic, that is why the Streamline fetches the biggest dollars in SE world.......

Top Bottom