What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

I got pipped on the Jewel and just now pipped on a single (not set) Streamline in the UK that went for $105. Dangit, I'm going to have to commit some real money to get one of these razors. I was thinking that I could probably pick up both for around $200, instead I've got my money but no razor :-(

I got pipped on the Jewel and just now pipped on a single (not set) Streamline in the UK that went for $105. Dangit, I'm going to have to commit some real money to get one of these razors. I was thinking that I could probably pick up both for around $200, instead I've got my money but no razor :-(

I got mine through the BST as a WTB, I would try there first.

Just a standard everyready strop similar head not the SL handle, amercian made but the leather is the same as the SL kits. I have three sets, one with the original leather, one without the leather and my oldest first version SL kit came with the valet autostrop. So now I have two complete sets and one in progress.

You found a Streamline strop? Tell me more!

If you can be patient, they will come back down, I think. These things tend to be cyclical. Seems this site has spurred interest in them to an all time high and it's created a feeding frenzy. If its the shave you're wanting, I get a very similar shave with my GEM OCMM. I hear a Damaskeene is also very similar.
Don't get me wrong, I love my SL! The thing is, it's not light years better than other razors out there. To me, it's just a little better than the OCMM, and I like the weight of it.

Last edited:
If you can be patient, they will come back down, I think. These things tend to be cyclical. Seems this site has spurred interest in them to an all time high and it's created a feeding frenzy. If its the shave you're wanting, I get a very similar shave with my GEM OCMM. I hear a Damaskeene is also very similar.
Don't get me wrong, I love my SL! The thing is, it's not light years better than over razors out there. To me, it's just a little better than the OCMM, and I like the weight of it.

I agree with much of InfernoOrange's statement,and hey...really it's the SE blade that's the big game changer and there's not many ER's or GEMs that don't give that blade a pretty sweet ride....

And BillC,real life's been crazy,I missed noticing that you were looking during one of your responses further back,I sold another one of my SL's yesterday.Went to a worthy member but would have ran it by ya,had my head not been spinning.

If the Streamline went over to the other side of the tracks and had a non-TTO baby with an OCMM it would be the best razor of all time.

...really it's the SE blade that's the big game changer and there's not many ER's or GEMs that don't give that blade a pretty sweet ride....

And than we can get into the Auto-strops and the feather blade which goes into another discussion

I agree with much of InfernoOrange's statement,and hey...really it's the SE blade that's the big game changer and there's not many ER's or GEMs that don't give that blade a pretty sweet ride....

And BillC,real life's been crazy,I missed noticing that you were looking during one of your responses further back,I sold another one of my SL's yesterday.Went to a worthy member but would have ran it by ya,had my head not been spinning.

If the Streamline went over to the other side of the tracks and had a non-TTO baby with an OCMM it would be the best razor of all time.

How about an open comb Streamline?

I am sure many razors can give as good a shave or better, possibly the slants I hear so much about but as a tool, the weight and handle and it is just a much better process. You get used to it but the first few shaves are like wow. Once you have it for a while you take it for granted like most things in life.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

Pretty good analogy - there really isn't $100 difference in the shave betwixt the Streamline (yes Beav, I know) and a cheap Streamline (mine went for about 20 Pounds if I recall) and the venerable Micromatic Open Comb. The Streamer has some extra weight, which I appreciate in a razor, but in my hand they both shave about the same ..

Pretty good analogy - there really isn't $100 difference in the shave betwixt the Streamline (yes Beav, I know) and a cheap Streamline (mine went for about 20 Pounds if I recall) and the venerable Micromatic Open Comb. The Streamer has some extra weight, which I appreciate in a razor, but in my hand they both shave about the same ..

LOL--Well, I just had to point that out once or twice to keep things in perspective...Choosing only one, I do prefer the longer handle on the MMOC/C-P over the heavier weight of the Streamline/Jewel. Like razorx said, if a MMOC was crossed with a Jewel it would be the best hybrid-cross of all time.

I just snapped this one up - not exactly sure of the condition but I won't depress anyone with the low price I made a side deal on. I am excited to have the chrome case and I expect it to be the newer model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BRI...rber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item565332bdaf

Congratulations, I think that's the nicest type of case available.

I just snapped this one up - not exactly sure of the condition but I won't depress anyone with the low price I made a side deal on. I am excited to have the chrome case and I expect it to be the newer model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BRI...rber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item565332bdaf
proxy.php
proxy.php

I stand corrected, its Indo-China.
CFM is a term of indearment to ebay's no other than cedatfurnitureman.
And you are absolutely right, Casablanca scenes props is one thing but nothing beats a photo of Margaret Dumont shaving her legs with a Lather-Catcher.....

I got the bug today to try and replicate those CFM shots...out came the macro lens, tripod, light box, all manner of props and my rhodium President but damn if I could generate a pic with the oomph that CFM does...oh we'll, I'm going to keep trying.

Open comb Streamline? I take the handle off my Streamline stropper (I only have half of the full kit with razor missing). I fit a head from a standard ER 1912 and voila..pretty close?

The recent activity on this thread has inspired me to use my Streamline and this was a full week of Steamline shaves. It's about as good as shaving gets for me. Great shaves from what to me is the Rolls Royce of SE razors. My Darwin is the Rolls Royce of DE's.

I almost listed my Streamline for sale. I bought it a few months back and didn't like how it shaved. Thought I'd give it one last shave before putting it up on the bay and the results made me want to keep it. I'm going to stay loyal to me Gem OC and Merkur Slant, but this razor will stay a little longer.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I almost listed my Streamline for sale. I bought it a few months back and didn't like how it shaved. Thought I'd give it one last shave before putting it up on the bay and the results made me want to keep it. I'm going to stay loyal to me Gem OC and Merkur Slant, but this razor will stay a little longer.

Hope you learn to love it, if you don't PM me and I'll save you the hassle and listing fees on the bay.

Top Bottom