What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Never quite understood why hobbyist lump all the different models of the E.R. 'chromium razor' into one model, "Streamline" when you had the Strop Set, Ambassador, E.R. Jewel Combination Set and then the Streamline. Oh and it seems to be the same for the Gem, always called the Jewel. The below photo is an actual Streamline, with out the correct packaging everything else is just a 'chromium razor'
It sounds sexy-er I guess but you are right. "with out the correct packaging everything else is just a 'chromium razor'" would be a great tagline. Lol...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Never quite understood why hobbyist lump all the different models of the E.R. 'chromium razor' into one model, "Streamline" when you had the Strop Set, Ambassador, E.R. Jewel Combination Set and then the Streamline. Oh and it seems to be the same for the Gem, always called the Jewel. The below photo is an actual Streamline, with out the correct packaging everything else is just a 'chromium razor'
Wow, looks like your Chromium Streamline razor looks like NOS. It might be easier to call them 1st or 2nd generation (chromium) streamline razors? People will just call them what they want no doubt but a hobbyist will call them correctly.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs

Guess its ours to ponder why, but as long as we are being fastidious it was a New Strop Outfit, not Set. "Outfit" sounds more British somehow ..

Akin to the classic Gillettes of the 20's & 30's (and here too the Brits carried on longer) where the case made the razor ...

DSC00100.JPG

Honestly, I think some do it because we've all accepted it, and we all know what you're talking about when you say "Streamline". Then there are others that just don't know. My OCD prevents me from blanketly calling them all "Streamlines" when in reality it was the same razor in different packaging. In my SOTD photos, I simply call it an "Ever-Ready SE". When asked, I try to explain that it's the packaging that has a name while the razor does not. I have several of these razors (first and second generation) and various packaging/cases.

A similar conundrum is faced when discussing Schick Injectors. I have 3 "F-Types" or "Type-Fs". The razor was never called that. In fact, it was "The New Improved Schick Injector Razor" which is what I call it in my SOTD pics. The "F-Type" designation was only applied by historian, Alan G. Appleby, for the purpose of discussion (and we're indebted to his work).

Ron R

I hardly see hobbyist call them correctly however, collectors do.
You might have a reasonable point of view on Hobbyist VS collectors but when I did a little research it was not that easy to pin point my model because it did not come with packaging or case(user grade) from the U.K. a few years ago, it did come with a strop so it would be called a Eveready New Chrome strop outfit, 2nd generation streamline(MFG 1949-53), that is what I'm calling it :001_smile .

Hi everyone.

I have finally started shaving with my streamline & am struggling to dial in the angle.

I know with other gem models for example some were designed to ride the cap others to hold a halfway angle between guard/cap. Have never seen instructions about riding the guard but maybe some were designed that way.

Anyway what is the designed/designated angle to use the streamline is there any instructions?

Thanks

I have started shaving with the head almost completely flat against my face in a shallow angle & seem to be getting much better results.

Hello. I've enjoyed reading the many pages of this forum and have recently become a member of this strange little cult by purchasing this Gem set recently. It has instantly become my favorite razor. I already loved my Shovelheads and Micromatics but the quality of this razor is unparalleled. I got lucky and found one in excellent condition. Thanks to you all for so much great information on these amazing razors.
20211130_143655.jpg
20211130_233808.jpg
20211130_203238.jpg

Currently in negotations to sign up

Do the different versions offer a particularly different shave or is it a question of which looks better?

ER Streamline gens.png

The baseplate/comb looks quite different on the original

Streamline gen 1-2 2.jpg

Ron R

ASRazor shave, OCtober 11th 2022

Razor : Ever-ready Streamline 2nd Generation- Mfg 1949-53, upper mid range, eye candy for myself when I reach for this razor. It took a while to master my technique but it produces some nice stellar shaves. The blade stops are set forward more than other ASR razors(for more aggression) and I like to add a spent Gem shim flattened underneath the modern spline blade on this razor for a little less blade feel. I enjoyed the shave this morning with a few laughs from the fellows from the Micromatic Monday thread. :biggrin1: The Streamline was designed for the thicker splined blades back when manufactured in the UK and so adding a shim helps a little for less blade feel and changes aggression slightly IMO. Thought I would this add post to the Thread for folks who like using this razor and might use it more often with a little less aggression!
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(6) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest razor blade to handle!
Soap : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore:001_wub:, nice mild Vanilla with light tobacco scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi Moka express 26 mm 2band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my ER Streamline with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD October 11 2022.jpg
Eveready spline shimmed for a smoother shave..jpg

Have some great shaves!

Hi all. I'm after information. I acquired an Ever Ready Streamline Traveller kit (found that out by reading other comments above). I know nothing about it and it wasn't even what I was after in the box but was pleasantly surprised to find it in my auction box of bric-a-brac. Any information would be gratefully received, as this is the only place on the internet I've managed to find any reference to this. No blades but it does have a shaving brush (original Ever Ready) in one of the metal cases. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG20221116130935.jpg
    IMG20221116130935.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 25

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Hi all. I'm after information. I acquired an Ever Ready Streamline Traveller kit (found that out by reading other comments above). I know nothing about it and it wasn't even what I was after in the box but was pleasantly surprised to find it in my auction box of bric-a-brac. Any information would be gratefully received, as this is the only place on the internet I've managed to find any reference to this. No blades but it does have a shaving brush (original Ever Ready) in one of the metal cases. Thanks in advance.

That is a beautiful example - what would you be looking to find out? It will accept modern made for shaving single edge blades & is I think moderately aggressive .. Seems to be a later model based on the view of the larger cutouts in the bottom. Since you just joined up, welcome to B&B!

Ron R

Looks like it was well looked after by previous owners, I would suggest buy new blades for it, Connaught shaving UK(good online supplier to deal with) They supply the Gem Personna SS PTFE blades & takes a few weeks to reach myself in Northern Alberta Canada . Your 2nd generation streamline is upper mid aggressive to aggressive range to some folks. Once mastered it will give some really nice shaves I have found and use it in my regular rotation. There is not a lot of information on this razor from Ever-Ready pamphlets I have ever seen. The razor has the stops placed up close to the safety bar compared to a lot Gem razors to make it a little more aggressive, a light touch with short strokes should work.
(old archived photo, you can see that the (L) 1912 blade stops are set back slightly more compared to the (R) ER streamline 2nd Generation razor.)
Comparing Gem 1912 to a Everready streamline razor blade to safety bar..jpg

ASR safety razors are based off the straight razor concept but just a shorter blade version with safety bar and top cap!
Gem procedure (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. The only other reference I found for it was on a New Zealand museum page. I'm after more information regarding age, perhaps, plus value. Is it stainless steel or chromed? Best way to clean it (there is some debris on the razor but it should come off fairly easily I hope). From reading the comments, the base of the razor suggests it's probably 1950s rather than 1930s and the box decoration (photograph attached below) could be anything from 1930s onwards. Are the contents complete or should it have blades? As a female without a partner, I would be looking to on-sell so wondered where would be best to list it (I'm in New Zealand). Again, thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• IMG20221116141218.jpg
    IMG20221116141218.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
Top Bottom