What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Which one are you referring to? Mountainsea razor is not a Jewel, he has a Streamline

attachment.php

The one in the shipper says Jewel but i dont see the actual case and razor to properly identify it.

proxy.php

That's the only picture I have saved. Trust me that the interior and razor were exactly the same as his in the pics.

That's the only picture I have saved. Trust me that the interior and razor were exactly the same as his in the pics.

I can back William up here (I showed it to him originally), the razor was the correct one. I may still have the other photo somewhere (if I saved it in my ' the one that got away' folder) - I'll see if I can track it down.

I can back William up here (I showed it to him originally), the razor was the correct one. I may still have the other photo somewhere (if I saved it in my ' the one that got away' folder) - I'll see if I can track it down.
I thought it was you that I had the photo from, but could not remember.

Are you saying that this is a GEM Jewel?

attachment.php

No. I am saying it's the Ever-Ready Jewel. (As it says on the shipper.). Like I said, it's the exact same razor as the Streamline, it's just called a Jewel because of the case.

It's the same razor as a Streamline, as is pictured in this pic with metal case.

Oh, i see like this
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

This is the full set of images I saved, (it was an auction I bid on but didn't win).
Make of them what you will, but I believe they show the "Ever-Ready Jewel" razor in all its glory! (Ie identical to the Ever-Ready Streamline, and Ever-Ready Ambassador, and very very similar to the Gem variant)

$263899065.jpg$263899105.jpg$263899144.jpg$263899279.jpg

Thanks to member mountainsea, I now have a strop to complete my Ever Ready Streamline set. It's a strop from a Valet Autostrop set.... but it functions perfectly with the Ever Ready stroping mechanism, and it fits in the case like a glove:

$DSCN7037.jpg

Although most of the original blades came with my set, they are very rusty and stroping them does very little to them. They are not shave ready in their present condition. I'm getting along great with GEM Stainless Steel PTFE coated blades in my Streamline though. The strop just really completes the set, and I can't thank mountainsea enough who basically gave it to me by sending it all the way from the UK and covered the shipping as well. Very generous!!

Ben

Mark, the Jewel/Streamlines have gone pretty high and they don't look like they are coming down in price anytime soon. Occasionally, one will slip by at a reasonable price.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
that was a complete set. you can find just the razor for a better price 100 to150 range. sill a chunk a change for a razor.

I just won a complete set this week that was just as nice and the seller accepted my best offer that was 1/3 that price. I'm glad I jumped on it as fast as I did and didn't bother with the bidding auction.

Or it was somebody who got the bug for one, decided it was a "must-have", had the cash, and went for it. Unfortunately, that kind of thing drives up the price in the market at large. Which is a bummer, because I for one still hold onto a fantasy of tripping over one at an out of the way junk shop I didn't even want to go into but got dragged along with some kind of flimsy promise like, just check out this armchair and then we'll go for a beer.

I have a similar fantasy about Palmera 14s, by the way. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/390806-Want-to-buy-Palmera-14?p=5967810#post5967810

Yes, I'd have to agree with the beav. That particular ebay seller seems to draw top dollar prices on his listings. He has a good reputation as a seller.... which is a large part of the reason. His listings are very well photographed and described.... taking a lot of the risk out of transaction for the seller. I scored a set exactly the same as the one in the listing for less than one half the price that that one sold for. It didn't have the strop and the pictures weren't that great.... so I had to take a bit of chance. It turned out to be in very good condition. I would call the one in that listed "excellent condition".

Incidently, it looks like the strop in that set isn't original to the set.... even though it is in excellent condition and would function just fine with the set. You can see that it says "Valet Autostrop" on the leather of the strop.

Yes, they are quite high in price, but they are excellent, albeit aggressive, shavers.... and they are relatively rare. Streamlines/Jewels feel heavy duty in the hand compared to other SE razors.

Ben

Top Bottom