What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Sometimes the first shave with a ss blade can be a bit harsh, but it will mellow out unless its a hardware type blade that was not intended for shaving.

just my 2p

My first shave with a GEM SS PTFE is usually the most harsh. After that it mellows dramatically for me. I can usually go about 5-10 shaves with one.

I only have access (its my dads). He likes it good enough. It certainly wasn't a *bad* shave either, maybe my expectations were too high? I will give it another try when I'm visiting.
I think some people who have found their "It" razor in the Streamline tend to overstate the shave it gives. I am guilty of this. The Streamline/Jewel for me gives the same smooth wonderful shave as I get with the OCMM and Damaskeene razors. To me, the look, feel, and build of S/J razors sets them apart. I just get the most enjoyable shaves from them. I think the hyperbole often used in describing the shaves tends to put off first time users of these razors. (I am as guilty of this as anyone.). The new user gets to try a shave with one and discovers that it's ultimately just a SE razor with a great look/build. Then they either get a feeling of being let down by the razor or (worst case) is that they are doing something wrong because it was just a good shave.
Take any exaggeration posted on B&B with a grain of salt. Your enjoyment in using a soap, brush, or razor will ultimately depend on your feelings and what you do with it. (YMMV)

Last edited:
I think some people who have found their "It" razor in the Streamline tend to overstate the shave it gives. I am guilty of this. The Streamline/Jewel for me gives the same smooth wonderful shave as I get with the OCMM and Damaskeene razors. To me, the look, feel, and build of S/J razors sets them apart. I just get the most enjoyable shaves from them. I think the hyperbole often used in describing the shaves tends to put off first time users of these razors. (I am as guilty of this as anyone.). The new user gets to try a shave with one and discovers that it's ultimately just a SE razor with a great look/build. Then they either get a feeling of being let down by the razor or (worst case) is that they are doing something wrong because it was just a good shave.
Take any exaggeration posted on B&B with a grain of salt. Your enjoyment in using a soap, brush, or razor will ultimately depend on your feelings and what you do with it. (YMMV)

Definitely. I will admit it looks very nice, comes in a very nice package, and shaves decently (based on only *one* data point, more to come). I was just expecting to look at it and have it give me a BBS shave!

Definitely. I will admit it looks very nice, comes in a very nice package, and shaves decently (based on only *one* data point, more to come). I was just expecting to look at it and have it give me a BBS shave!
I think a lot of people feel the same as you did. As I said, I am very guilty of over stating how great these razors are. I could go the rest of my life with just my trusty Streamline. However, the shave is not noticeably better than my OCMM or OC Damaskeene. All three give me incredible shaves. I just love the heft, feel, and feedback I get from my Streamlines/Jewels.
I am sure the problem starts with a lot of us being so in love with these fine razors that we tend to grossly over state how good they are in an effort to convey our inflated emotional feelings from a good shave from them. Ultimately, they give a user a great shave, however so do a lot of other SE razors. (At least that is my experience, yours may vary.)

I think a lot of people feel the same as you did. As I said, I am very guilty of over stating how great these razors are. I could go the rest of my life with just my trusty Streamline. However, the shave is not noticeably better than my OCMM or OC Damaskeene. All three give me incredible shaves. I just love the heft, feel, and feedback I get from my Streamlines/Jewels.
I am sure the problem starts with a lot of us being so in love with these fine razors that we tend to grossly over state how good they are in an effort to convey our inflated emotional feelings from a good shave from them. Ultimately, they give a user a great shave, however so do a lot of other SE razors. (At least that is my experience, yours may vary.)

I concur with your every thought and opinon, now with that said, you should sell me one of your Jewels:wink2:

I concur with your every thought and opinon, now with that said, you should sell me one of your Jewels:wink2:
proxy.php

I still love mine more than any other razor, sir. Speaking of which...waiting on 2 Jewels as we speak. :)

I generally don't form a judgement on a razor until after I've used a few blades in it. I think my dad would be willing to lend it to me for a short time to try out. He's more into injectors.

Hi Guys, I just bought my second Streamline with the thought of having it Rhodium plated (the finish is a bit raggedy). Do you have any recommendations on who to send it to?

Krona for sure, He did on of my SL's in Nickel and a couple of fat boy's. I had a Rhodium set already and the Nickel or Chrome look is a nicer and more original look. The Rhodium has kind of an amber tint to it. I use the Rhodium as my main razor and the others I kind of collected.

Hi Guys, I just bought my second Streamline with the thought of having it Rhodium plated (the finish is a bit raggedy). Do you have any recommendations on who to send it to?

Me personally, I'd leave it original. I have a GEM Jewel on the way that has some plating loss. I understand others wanting to replate, but it's not for me. (...and I realize I just inserted my unsolicited opinion. Sorry.)

Top Bottom