What's new

The Cult of Streamline - Streamline & Jewel owners

Now i am intrigued. I have 2 SEs tha work very well for me: Damaskeene and cobra.
How does the Streamline compare?

Right in the middle between those 2

With Cobra in 1st place for peperformance
Build quality: Best: Streamline

Last edited:
After my standard 40 minute drive home from work - I arrived to see the international mail package I have been waiting for! Can't wait to try it out this Weekend - I will be sure to post a review!

View attachment 307596View attachment 307597View attachment 307598View attachment 307599View attachment 307600
That looks like near mint condition. Are you sharing the price? Or maybe I missed it in an earlier post. I've been in and out of this thread. Be interesting to see if the Streamline price graph continues heading north.

As an aside, I wonder if anyone actually uses that autostropper with strop?

Anyway, enjoy it...you got the full set!

That looks like near mint condition. Are you sharing the price? Or maybe I missed it in an earlier post. I've been in and out of this thread. Be interesting to see if the Streamline price graph continues heading north.

As an aside, I wonder if anyone actually uses that autostropper with strop?

Anyway, enjoy it...you got the full set!

Jeff-
I purchased it for $57.01 from a seller in England - the case is cracked but the razor and stropper are in amazing condition - if they were ever used they weren't used often. My first shave was a bit of a disappointment, it was much more aggressive than I was bargaining for.. and the weight of the razor is such that I actually had to apply some negative pressure against the razor to reduce the agressiveness and find the right angle. So i got a little scraped up - just some irritation mind you..., no nicks. And it was one close shave. That being said, this is ONE amazing razor, like holding the ultimate piece of shaving engineering in your hand. It weight A LOT and it feels great. I don't think I will have enough fuzz on my face to give this sportscar another go on Sunday morning but I will shave with it again on Monday and give it another review. I think the word is getting out on Ebay about these - there is one for sale at a BIN of $170

Question out there for JEFF or anyone...- how much were these things brand NEW?
they must have cost a fortune, I can't believe how big and heavy the razor is.

Last edited:

Actually, they were fairly cheap considering.

1950 Gillette #44 Fat handle Tech: 5'6
1952 Ever-Ready Nickel 1912 De luxe set: 6'
1953 Gillette Rocket HD: 6'6 (8'6 value for 6'6)
1950 Ever-Ready Chrome Streamline set: 10'- (11'6 in 1953)
1950 Gillette #53 Aristocrat Junior: 12'-
1953 Gillette #48 Rocket: 18'6
1950 Gillette #22 Aristocrat: 26'3
1956 Gillette Aristocrat De luxe: 4 gns

Last edited:
Jeff-
I purchased it for $57.01 from a seller in England - the case is cracked but the razor and stropper are in amazing condition - if they were ever used they weren't used often. My first shave was a bit of a disappointment, it was much more aggressive than I was bargaining for.. and the weight of the razor is such that I actually had to apply some negative pressure against the razor to reduce the agressiveness and find the right angle. So i got a little scraped up - just some irritation mind you..., no nicks. And it was one close shave. That being said, this is ONE amazing razor, like holding the ultimate piece of shaving engineering in your hand. It weight A LOT and it feels great. I don't think I will have enough fuzz on my face to give this sportscar another go on Sunday morning but I will shave with it again on Monday and give it another review. I think the word is getting out on Ebay about these - there is one for sale at a BIN of $170

That price plus I assume 12 - 15 for shipping.Good deal,looks great.
You can keep the blade cover almost flat against your face and still be blastin' whiskers.If you stay near that angle until you find the sweet spot it'll help you dial it in.

$170 BIN uhhhh No but I will say I would likely pay over the top money to get the older 1930's type with larger drain opening and wider spaced teeth.

Last edited:
I am afraid to start a "cult of Damaskeene " thread just because some shrewd ebay sellers might get on the scent and jack up the prices to $170 BIN...

Jeff-

My friend, you did very well. You scored the full double-set and the instruments look great for a bargain price.

I hear you about disappointment. It's like the Rolls Royce. Great fit and finish. Built by the Britain's great engineers. Top notch materials. Big and solid. BUT...in truth...it doesn't handle as well as a Corvette and, for the $$$, you can get better performance with many other autos.

But the Streamline does have some magic to it...and is seductive for those touched by it's classic old school beauty and craftsmanship. Like Britain from whence it came, the damn thing is almost Royalty.

Last edited:
I am afraid to start a "cult of Damaskeene " thread just because some shrewd ebay sellers might get on the scent and jack up the prices to $170 BIN...

So true, the Damaskeene is so smooth though! I have a GEM Jr. Bar Lather Catcher that is just as smooth and looks awesome too.

$170 BIN uhhhh No but I will say I would likely pay over the top money to get the older 1930's type with larger drain opening and wider spaced teeth.
This could be a telling moment...if the EBAY $170 wonder actually sells, we have entered a new level of razor costs. If it doesn't sell, we may see a decline in interest or status quo valuation.

What do you gentlemen wager on this thing selling for $170? I'm thinking no. You?

This could be a telling moment...if the EBAY $170 wonder actually sells, we have entered a new level of razor costs. If it doesn't sell, we may see a decline in interest or status quo valuation.

What do you gentlemen wager on this thing selling for $170? I'm thinking no. You?

I'm betting no. I'm jonesing for a Streamline/Jewel but I'd feel taken advantage of at that price - particularly for a set that isn't pristine. If that set goes for that price, imagine the price on a minty set...

Maybe I'll just rhodium a Damaskeene...

"Doubt this razor is rare? Do a search on Ebay. You'll find this is the ONLY ONE! Who knows when another one will be up for bids? Buy it while you can. Note: This rare item will not be listed again on EBAY. This is the one opportunity to own this example of old school quality, craftsmanship and top drawer materials.."

That seller lacks CFM's magic touch. The photos are clear and detailed, but where isvthe compass? The romantic evening lighting that makes the razor cast a shadow of a map of Hindu-China with an admiral's hat in the background...
In other words, it does a poor job generating an emotional response with the prospective buyer and relies on the buyer's itchy finger.
So i am not sure if it goes for that price.
Had it been CFM, he wiuld start the auction at $5 and finish it at close to $300.
But CFM sells more than just the razor, he sells the romance....

"Doubt this razor is rare? Do a search on Ebay. You'll find this is the ONLY ONE! Who knows when another one will be up for bids? Buy it while you can. Note: This rare item will not be listed again on EBAY. This is the one opportunity to own this example of old school quality, craftsmanship and top drawer materials.."

That seller lacks CFM's magic touch. The photos are clear and detailed, but where isvthe compass? The romantic evening lighting that makes the razor cast a shadow of a map of Hindu-China with an admiral's hat in the background...
In other words, it does a poor job generating an emotional response with the prospective buyer and relies on the buyer's itchy finger.
Had it been CFM, he wiuld start the auction at $5 and finish it at close to $300.
Yes, photo ambience with a Rolls Royce atmospheric. That poetic vibe that makes you long for a return to the Concorde and the QEII.

Or...

...show us a busty Oxford grad demonstrating how she shaves her...er...uh...legs with the regal, say, sovereign Streamline.

And was it Hindu-China or Indo-China?

Finally...who the hell is CFM?

Last edited:
The best prices are never listed as "streamline" nothing but the original paperwork will say streamline. A not in the know seller would never call it a SL which is how most are sold. The last few weeks there has been a few out there - UK only, never US unless a collector. I like this razor more than a fatboy or aristocrat and they are getting serious coin. SL and should be more rare too. Just like you can snag a nice fatboy cheap here and there you can with a SL also but it takes a lot of dilligence. The values will continue up but the prized bargain will always remain a possibility.

Last edited:
Yes, photo ambience with a Rolls Royce atmospheric. That poetic vibe that makes you long for a return to the Concorde and the QEII.

Or...

...show us a busty Oxford grad demonstrating how she shaves her...er...uh...legs with the regal, say, sovereign Streamline.

And was it Hindu-China or Indo-China?

Finally...who the hell is CFM?
I stand corrected, its Indo-China.
CFM is a term of indearment to ebay's no other than cedatfurnitureman.
And you are absolutely right, Casablanca scenes props is one thing but nothing beats a photo of Margaret Dumont shaving her legs with a Lather-Catcher.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom