What's new

The Cube.

Whilst I may try the complete method shaving system sometime in the future, I think for the moment that it is far beyond my level of experience in terms of practicality and precision required. However, as someone with a very tough beard, and often little time for the proper prep procedures (try saying that 10 times fast) the idea off adding the cube to my current wet shaving arsenal appeals to me. However, one of the great sensory pleasures of the wet shave for me ( and I am sure nearly everyone else) is the delightful scent of a good quality English shaving cream, having read so many accounts of the terrible aroma of a fresh cube, I would be worried about adding it to my rotation in case it had a negative effect on the perfume of the cream. So, just how much of an impact does the of the Enchante cube have on the aroma of the shave cream it is used with? Is there anyway of the lessening the offensive smell of the cube so it doesn't interfere with the cream?
Regards,
AJS

In my opinion the impact is very little. I can smell quite a bit of English Cream aroma while using them together. Also, the cube’s smell fades away over time, but not completely.

CraigK

More or less, I agree with Craig. The first few times you use the cube, it will smell powerfully. After a few shaves, however, the smell will noticeably fade (almost completely) and provided the cream you are using is strong, it can overpower the cube.

Thanks for replying, seeing as the smell wont be an issue I think I will go ahead and try the cube with my setup. Out of interest, what is everyone's opinion on the use of the cube without all the other method shaving products? I read a post over on SMF (sorry, just looking out of curiousity) and the author said how the cube had helped enhance the performance of the Nancy Boy cream he was using, but I would like to know what people here think.
Regards, AJS

I bought a bar of KMF Olive Oil soap last week to try the "cube effect" without buying the cube. :confused: I have only tried it with one cream thus far, so I can't really elaborate on a difference at this point. I plan on continuing to evaluate it.

My question is: does anyone make an Olive Oil soap that is round instead of cubed or rectangular? It would certainly be convenient to have a round that would drop into a shaving mug and make it a little less messy to deal with. And I don't know whether Olive Oil soap can be melted without harming it. Maybe some of you cube guys can answer this. :confused:

Using either the cube or Savon de Marseilles olive oil soap, I have found my lather to be richer and much easier to rehydrate without washing out.

The Savon de Marseilles soap, while arriving in cube form, is semi-solid enough that you could squash it into a bowl or mug and it would conform to the shape.

Actually I think there is something about "REAL" (pronounced authentic) savon de Marseilles being in a block that is marked with its weight. Also the blocks are, usually, crudely cut from a larger grand block and then stamped with their weight.

Kyle said:
Using either the cube or Savon de Marseilles olive oil soap, I have found my lather to be richer and much easier to rehydrate without washing out.

The Savon de Marseilles soap, while arriving in cube form, is semi-solid enough that you could squash it into a bowl or mug and it would conform to the shape.

I guess I'll just have to squash a cube down in my 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup! There's just a lot to be said about having a handle on things when it comes to shaving! :lol:

Ron,
Craig did a great job of depicting the quintessential use of the cube in the style of RMWS here. You may wish to leave it, da cube, intact and uncontained.

Can someone elaborate on a comparison of the Savon de Marseilles, KMF and The Cube?

I read that Savon de Marseilles must contain at least 50% olive oil to be Savon de Marseilles. Then I found this link http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDMADE-Savon-de-Marseille-French-OLIVE-OIL-BATH-SOAP_W0QQitemZ9522556328QQcategoryZ36357QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem on ebay indicating their cube of Savon de Marseilles contains 72% olive oil.

What percent is KMF? I was unable to find out on their website. Just curious. I will probably order a cube from ebay eventually if my KMF shows some shave cream quality improvement.

I was thinking of posting on the value of savon de Marseilles soap as opposed to the cube myself, so thanks for bringing the topic up. One thing I would like to know is does the regular SDM have the same offensive odour as the cube? I understand that the cube is a somewhat modified version of the savon de Marseilles, is it the addition of the chlorophyll that has caused so many to take offense at the aroma of the cube?
Regards,
AJS

AJS said:
I was thinking of posting on the value of savon de Marseilles soap as opposed to the cube myself, so thanks for bringing the topic up. One thing I would like to know is does the regular SDM have the same offensive odour as the cube? I understand that the cube is a somewhat modified version of the savon de Marseilles, is it the addition of the chlorophyll that has caused so many to take offense at the aroma of the cube?
Regards,
AJS
It is initially just as harsh, but seemed to fade more quickly.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I wonder how many men who endured the sweet refrains "Hey- pizza face!" during their teenage years would be reluctant to walk around smelling like a pizza.:confused:

ouch said:
I wonder how many men who endured the sweet refrains "Hey- pizza face!" during their teenage years would be reluctant to walk around smelling like a pizza.:confused:
If the cube smelled like pizza, I don't think it would be a huge issue. It is the fact that it initially has a slight :9898: odor (some claim this, though I don't agree) that seems to be the turn off.

Yes, and don't do it. The oil coats the badger hairs and prevents the brush from holding water. I had to work very hard to restore the brush to its original state. Fortunately, it was not a brush of high value.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "the cube"...looks from the pic to be a soap...but Craig is soaking it in water!!!

Btw Savon is 72% olive oil, KMF olive bar is 80. I don't know which is better, haven't tried either of them, but just throwing that out there.

javyn said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is "the cube"...looks from the pic to be a soap...but Craig is soaking it in water!!!

Btw Savon is 72% olive oil, KMF olive bar is 80. I don't know which is better, haven't tried either of them, but just throwing that out there.
It is soap. You are supposed to soak it in warm/hot water and then scrub the "slag" or soap goo off of it and use that as the base of your lather.

I don't do the cube thing or method shaving, but I have my own "method" similar to the cube thing...I put about 4 to 5 tablespoons on my soaps and let them soak while I'm taking my shower then when I lather up, it seems to make it easier, the "slag" as you say makes sense.

But I don't know much else about Method Shaving other than what I do myself with the soap.

Top Bottom