What's new

The coticule is the truth!

I have been reading up on that as well. From what I gather, is that some people believe that it(diamond lapping) hampered their stones honing capabilities, while others have said that all it did for them was change the way honing felt, but performance didn't change much. Some said that going up to 2k grit w/d will fix it mostly. Others mention using a slurry stone or just honing with and using it will mellow the surface out again eventually. I have a small 6x2 stone and I have been using mine with just water or oil so I am really gentle with it. I have not noticed any slurry forming at all. I think it(my coticule) may be really hard one. I hope I won't have to lap this for a while.
Right. 6 X 2 is perfect. I have a few very hard La Grise and what I think is a La Verte (because its sort of olive green) that don't auto-slurry, feel like glass on water, and provide excellent edges.

I'm actually really interested in the to-diamond-plate/to-not-diamond-plate debate. I was halfway thinking of grabbing a cheap 400-grit Chinese plate off Amazon just for lapping my coti. Better to stick with w/d sandpaper on tile?

I'm actually really interested in the to-diamond-plate/to-not-diamond-plate debate. I was halfway thinking of grabbing a cheap 400-grit Chinese plate off Amazon just for lapping my coti. Better to stick with w/d sandpaper on tile?
Lap with your diamond plate--as long as its flat. Just have a slurry stone to remove the top layer of the hone that was damaged by the diamond plate. Its a cheaper and easier thing than trying to do it all with a slurry stone

I use my cheap 400/1000 diamond plate all of time - on Coticules, synthetics and slate. Both sides are now quite worn. I lapped my Coticules and slates one time, starting with 400 and finishing with 1000. I normally lap my 500 and 1000 synthetics with the 400 side, and everything greater than 1000 with the 1000 side. Zero problems.

Just pat dry the cheap plates with a towel and air dry so they don't rust. Over two years in and zero rust.

I have a theory about this, and it might not be true. But it well may be.

I've noticed a lot of people using coticules but raising a slurry with a diamond plate. Or using a diamond plate to lap a coticule. My understanding is that diamonds are much harder than garnets (which is what gives a coticule its unique abrasive characteristics), and a diamond plate will rip up the garnets imbedded in the surface of a coticule, and more than that, will actually cut the garnets up, so that the surface of the coticule has a very different abrasive characteristic than it would in its natural state.

I would suggest lapping with a diamond plate is fine, provided the surface is re-conditioned by using a dry slurry stone against the dry surface of the hone to remove the damage done by the lapping plate. Also, never use a diamond plate to raise a slurry--only a slurry stone.

I have observed these effects myself. I've gotten really subpar results raising a slurry with diamond, and after lapping with the same, only to have a stone magically start performing well again.

After only using slurry stones for slurry, and conditioning the surface after lapping, I get consistently good results, and sometimes edges much keener than I care to shave with..

I saw one video that recommended flattening coticules using another coticule rather than diamond plates or even silicon carbide. Since I only have one coticule, I am not able to do that. I did not even receive a coticule slurry stone, so I have tried raising a slurry with other types of slurry stones. Coticules are relatively soft, barely harder than hardened steel and similar to quartz. Thus, any hone that will remove steel can be used to raise a slurry on a coticule.

Yup, this would be purely for lapping. I've got a little slurry stone I use for a quick few wipes to start a progression.
So I have a la veinette stone from ardennes that I bought recently. I am interested in a slurry stone for it. Would my best bet be to get a small same la veinette from ardennes? I saw some la veinette slurry stones on etsy, but they look different. The bbw side was more purplish and my bbw side is blackish. Do I want to find a slurry stone that is the same hardness as my stone? I am clueless about coticule slurry stones and slurry stones in general. I want one for dulicot method and to use it to condition the surface if I ever decide to lap the stone with a diamond plate.

So I have a la veinette stone from ardennes that I bought recently. I am interested in a slurry stone for it. Would my best bet be to get a small same la veinette from ardennes? I saw some la veinette slurry stones on etsy, but they look different. The bbw side was more purplish and my bbw side is blackish. Do I want to find a slurry stone that is the same hardness as my stone? I am clueless about coticule slurry stones and slurry stones in general. I want one for dulicot method and to use it to condition the surface if I ever decide to lap the stone with a diamond plate.
I have one of those little la veinette stones from etsy (it's 3" x 3/4") and it came with a 1.5" x 1.5" les lat. Sold as a minimalist razor hone kit. I can hone a razor with those two stones. The lv is fine and really creamy. I believe all his stones come from AC. I've probably boughs 5 or 6 stones from him and they've all been great.

I would email Rob, including a photo of your stone, and ask about a matching slurry stone.

You can always buy other slurry stones later.

Put up a post in the BST forum and see if someone has a slurry stone they’d sell. Shipping is kind of high from the EU to the US. Not sure where you’re from.

I have one of those little la veinette stones from etsy (it's 3" x 3/4") and it came with a 1.5" x 1.5" les lat. Sold as a minimalist razor hone kit. I can hone a razor with those two stones. The lv is fine and really creamy. I believe all his stones come from AC. I've probably boughs 5 or 6 stones from him and they've all been great.

I would email Rob, including a photo of your stone, and ask about a matching slurry stone.

You can always buy other slurry stones later.
Bad news...just after I posted that message, I decided to whip out my coticule to practice some honing and noticed that a crack had formed near the line where the bbw meets the coticule! I have no idea how it formed but it wasnt there yesterday, but I have only used this with running water and baby oil thus far and it hasnt seen any drops or temperature shocks or anything. Its my precious, and I baby this sucker. Anyone know how this could have happened? and is there a way to possibly fix this? I just bought this sucker less than a month ago so total bummer. Here is a YT short of it.

coticule split forming

slurry stone is on hold until i figure this issue out lol./cry

Bad news...just after I posted that message, I decided to whip out my coticule to practice some honing and noticed that a crack had formed near the line where the bbw meets the coticule! I have no idea how it formed but it wasnt there yesterday, but I have only used this with running water and baby oil thus far and it hasnt seen any drops or temperature shocks or anything. Its my precious, and I baby this sucker. Anyone know how this could have happened? and is there a way to possibly fix this? I just bought this sucker less than a month ago so total bummer. Here is a YT short of it.

coticule split forming

Email Rob to see what he say. You might have a big slurry stone there.

Email Rob to see what he say. You might have a big slurry stone there.
Funny thing is, I actually emailed him yesterday inquiring about a slurry stone, but he hasnt gotten back to me yet, but now I find myself emailing him again showing him the stone/crack and asked what could possibly cause this. Yeah I will wait to see what he says. Unfortunate situation for me. I always get unlucky! Best situation would be me being able to return or exchange this. If not, at least I don't have to worry about getting a slurry stone anymore lol.

I am slightly envious that your intro to coticules went so smoothly. I got myself some coticules, a La Veinette among them, and just can't get a good edge with it. I even got a bunch of Japanese wetstones (Naniwas), thinking they were more idiot proof, but I still struggle to even get a workable edge, never mind a "nice" edge. I just can't figure out what I do wrong .... so for the time being I have parked all my straight razors, which I really enjoyed as long as they had a good edge.
Suggestions as to how I approch coticules / honing in order to move on are appreciated

I am slightly envious that your intro to coticules went so smoothly. I got myself some coticules, a La Veinette among them, and just can't get a good edge with it. I even got a bunch of Japanese wetstones (Naniwas), thinking they were more idiot proof, but I still struggle to even get a workable edge, never mind a "nice" edge. I just can't figure out what I do wrong .... so for the time being I have parked all my straight razors, which I really enjoyed as long as they had a good edge.
Suggestions as to how I approch coticules / honing in order to move on are appreciated

Are you using slurry with the Coticules?

I ask because using slurry with Coticules takes practice.

If you have not already done so, I would recommend you try using your Coticules for just finishing using water (plenty of it) or oil.

coticule split forming

If you can't get it replaced put the thin super glue(not gel) in it with it on its side(so it'll run into the crack) and pinch it together. Wipe off excess glue then sit something heavy on it for 48 hours so it can set up. I've super glued quite a few stones together and I've never had one come back apart.

Top Bottom