What's new

The correct blades? Valet Autostrop and GEM

Hello,

I'm trying to help out a fella who have bought two SE razors from me. Number 8 and 9.

IMG_0704. markeringerjpeg.jpg

Does the Feather FHS-10 Single Edge blade (spineless) work in both of them? I know nothing about SE razors 😅

Like @Ladit said, and I might add that the #8 & #9 had the handles switched...

And just for the fun, you might put a spine on a FHS-10 but it doesn´t fit the GEM razors.... :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

I tried :biggrin1::biggrin1:

View attachment 1303824

Cheers
Many thanks for the information. That must have happened when I cleaned these razors months ago 😅

So these 'GEM'-blades are more or less the only choice?

Many thanks for the information. That must have happened when I cleaned these razors months ago 😅

So these 'GEM'-blades are more or less the only choice?

Basically yes, there´s the Carbon Steel blades, the Stainless Steel & the PTFE SS covered, you might find some Treet & PAL blades but both are made by ASR, the same that makes the GEM

Tryablade has a sampler package to test all the main choices All Single Edge Razor Blades - TryABlade.com - http://tryablade.com/singleedge

Just stay away from the scrapper, box cutter, Home depot kind of blades, they don´t work....

Cheers

Basically yes, there´s the Carbon Steel blades, the Stainless Steel & the PTFE SS covered, you might find some Treet & PAL blades but both are made by ASR, the same that makes the GEM

Tryablade has a sampler package to test all the main choices All Single Edge Razor Blades - TryABlade.com - http://tryablade.com/singleedge

Just stay away from the scrapper, box cutter, Home depot kind of blades, they don´t work....

Cheers
Thanks for the reply. I'll pass on that information 👍🏼

How does a Valet auto strop razor shave?
I picked one up at a yard sale. The blade is broken. Just wondering if I should restore it and try it out, or just use it as a display piece.
I am restoring the GEM Clog Pruf I bought along with it! 🙂

A modified Gem blade can only be used in B, B1, VB1 and VC1 razors. I would have to see the front of that Valet to determine what model it is.

A modified Gem blade can only be used in B, B1, VB1 and VC1 razors. I would have to see the front of that Valet to determine what model it is.

You forgot about A1 and A2. Btw, I can tell from the picture already provided that it's a VC1. Although it has a Gem handle on it, looks like the handle may have actually been swapped with the Gem razor next to it.

You forgot about A1 and A2. Btw, I can tell from the picture already provided that it's a VC1. Although it has a Gem handle on it, looks like the handle may have actually been swapped with the Gem razor next to it.

Thanks for the answers gentlemen. I swapped the handles and the razors have already been taken into use by the new owner 👍🏼

How does a Valet auto strop razor shave?
I picked one up at a yard sale. The blade is broken. Just wondering if I should restore it and try it out, or just use it as a display piece.
I am restoring the GEM Clog Pruf I bought along with it! 🙂
I used a pristeen original blade carefully stropped as designed and a like new Valet strop and it shaved horribly. Maybe someday I’ll try the feather blade but I’m not ordering a bunch for an experiment.

I just discovered, thanks to @Lord NSIC, that a GEM blade can be easily modified for a valet. Wasn’t sure if you’re a GEM guy, have some GEM blades, or knew about that mod. It’s a lot cheaper than the other blades you mentioned.

Top Bottom