What's new

The Converter is Empty

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give that a wide berth. Sheens and other inconsistencies send my eyes wonky.
:blink: I actually have gotten over time to like shading quite a bit. One of my favorite inks especially in stubs/italics is R&K Alt-Goldgrun which is a completely out of character color for me. I am not sure why I like it. It is not an office appropriate color though.
-Boris

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
:blink: I actually have gotten over time to like shading quite a bit. One of my favorite inks especially in stubs/italics is R&K Alt-Goldgrun which is a completely out of character color for me. I am not sure why I like it. It is not an office appropriate color though.
-Boris

Aside from a bit of Quink, and a few long standard international cartridges, all my ink is Diamine. I have a bottle of Diamine Salamander which gave a similar effect at first. That shading was far too heavy for my eyes, so I wetted it with some soap, until it was consistently the darker colour. Much better.

I have numerous intemittent sensory anomalies due to complex neurological issues, and shading and sheen really doesn't help matters. "Correcting" shading inks with a teeny drop of soap or detergent, means I can keep using inks I might otherwise have to dispose of.

The Sargasso Sea has settled down a bit now in the current pen, but is still a fair bit lighter in colour than in other pens. Possibly due to viscosity. I tried using a glass dip pen with it, and that seemed to confirm it. I could try wetting this down too to increase the flow rate, but that might bring the sheen back, so I think I'll leave it alone. It's not presenting it's "true" colour, but not presenting the usual sheening problem either, so I can live with it.

Aside from a bit of Quink, and a few long standard international cartridges, all my ink is Diamine. I have a bottle of Diamine Salamander which gave a similar effect at first. That shading was far too heavy for my eyes, so I wetted it with some soap, until it was consistently the darker colour. Much better.

I have numerous intemittent sensory anomalies due to complex neurological issues, and shading and sheen really doesn't help matters. "Correcting" shading inks with a teeny drop of soap or detergent, means I can keep using inks I might otherwise have to dispose of.

The Sargasso Sea has settled down a bit now in the current pen, but is still a fair bit lighter in colour than in other pens. Possibly due to viscosity. I tried using a glass dip pen with it, and that seemed to confirm it. I could try wetting this down too to increase the flow rate, but that might bring the sheen back, so I think I'll leave it alone. It's not presenting it's "true" colour, but not presenting the usual sheening problem either, so I can live with it.
Yeah i have salamander as well and it does shade a bit. For me I can't really wet the inks down with detergent because I'm usually writing on less than optimal paper and that would cause to much bleeding. I'm mostly diamine as well. Living in the US a can order from the Uk and the price is very good even taking the shipping in account and they have many inks to choose between.

If you really want a true utilitarian blue like the diamine sargasso blue but without the sheen I find waterman serenity blue very good. Very well behaved and no sheen nor shading. Safe in any pen as well.

Pilot gold Metro, refilled with Robert Oster Thunderstorm blue black ink.

I had to do a little reading to learn a bit more about what you’re talking about.

Pilot gold Metro, refilled with Robert Oster Thunderstorm blue black ink.

I had to do a little reading to learn a bit more about what you’re talking about.
Yeah it is like a new language to learn. Most of the time if you have a highly saturated ink there will be no shading. Less saturated colors shade more readily. Sheening I think occur when they have a mix of strong colors together. Shimmer is particles that reflect light and can therefore be problematic in your pens, if you are not careful.
-Boris

The Noodler's Green Marine in my Lamy 2000 ran out today. I replaced it with Robert Oster Dark Chocolate. I entered the number of inks for sale on the website and let random.org pick a color, and Dark Chocolate was what came up. I like it, it's a dark brownish purple.

The Noodler's Green Marine in my Lamy 2000 ran out today. I replaced it with Robert Oster Dark Chocolate. I entered the number of inks for sale on the website and let random.org pick a color, and Dark Chocolate was what came up. I like it, it's a dark brownish purple.
Sometimes it is hard to choose. I rarely load my pen twice in a row with the same ink.

Another refill of the 2000 today, I've been using diluted Diamine Prussian Blue. The lighter color shades really well. I also refilled my medium Safari with Robert Oster Dark Chocolate

. . . ran it dry this evening paying bills. Guess I'll be washing a a few pens this evening.
Hmm . . . That's a lot of debt, man . . . Seriously, I really do love to write checks with a fountain pen. I can hardly bear to write checks or in my check register with a damned ballpoint.

Ahh . . . . Just one more thing . . . How can I tell when I'm out of invisible ink?

Cheers!
Tony

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Made it nearly one month -- apparently not writing enough!
Old Montblanc blue-black ran out and after a minimal flush refilled with Montblanc royal blue.
Another vintage ink
full

Faithful old-style M200 (W Germany) Pelikan, stainless nib replaced with 14K gold 400 unit (1950s)
full

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
My Franklin-Christoph 2012 B&B Essential (Bi) ran out of Stipula Musk Green. I'm going to clean it, and set it aside for now, but I'm really liking that pen lately for everyday writing at home.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
My Sailor 1911S (MS) ran out of Pilot Iroshizuku Ajisai. That music nib really lays down a lot of ink. I only filled a little over 5 pages in one of my Apica CD15 notebooks before the pen was bone dry. I plan on giving it a quick flush this evening, but I'll probably ink it right back up because I've been enjoying writing with it the past few days.

Top Bottom