What's new

The Competition's 51

From what I've read, Parker's competitors sought to capitalize on the popularity of the 51 by introducing "almost" pens. Apparently, almost all flopped. The exception to that (according to Binder's articles) is the Waterman Taperite, which had a similar size and shape, slip cap and a partially concealed nib. The 51 had a fully hooded nib, and the Taperite had most of the nib sunk under the section, with a small bit of the nib exposed. I overpaid for a beater version of the Taperite because it had been re-sacked, and I'd read that restoring them was difficult. I also noted that this pen succeeded because Waterman made outstanding nibs, and for some of the Taperites, they had a bit of flex to them. Anyway, today I loaded mine up with J. Herbin 1670 Bleu Ocean and did some test writing. Happily, it does have a semiflexible nib and it's pretty fun to write with.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nothing quite like the Lamy 27 (except a "51")

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The only Lamy I own.... that has to say something

That says a lot. Lamy 27 is a great pen, I've got three, one is a buttery smooth semi-flexible broad stub. Here's a pic of one sold in Jan 1958, the 25 year guarantee paper is shown.

proxy.php

Piston filler, this one is an oblique fine 14K gold nib.

That says a lot. Lamy 27 is a great pen, I've got three, one is a buttery smooth semi-flexible broad stub. Here's a pic of one sold in Jan 1958, the 25 year guarantee paper is shown.

proxy.php

Piston filler, this one is an oblique fine 14K gold nib.

Nice!

How does the Aurora 88 fit into this?
it certainly has styling like a 51.

Of course I haven't found one for a decent price yet so I have no real experience with one.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
How does the Aurora 88 fit into this?
it certainly has styling like a 51.

Of course I haven't found one for a decent price yet so I have no real experience with one.

Those fit right in -- the vintage ones, the new ones have exposed nibs. Not sure when that happened.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice, Bob! Thanks for the pics for comparison. Everybody all of a sudden needed a hooded nib with a slip cap.

Top Bottom