What's new

The Comics Thread

Anyone read comic books? What are you reading?

I've been stalled halfway through the Green Lantern Blackest Night series for a while now.

I am not an avid fan of the format itself, but there are a couple of favorites:

• The Sam & Max comics by Steve Purcell. He also did some great LucasArts computer games in the '80s. Haven't seen any new Sam & Max in a long time.

• The Parker Series by Darwyn Cooke. I hear he is well known in DC Comics circles. As a big Westlake/Stark fan I can't imagine anyone doing a better job of recreating the Parker world in "Graphic Novel" format. Only two in the series so far but more expected.
I bet Purcell could do a great job with Westlake's Dortmunder series!

[*]The Sam & Max comics by Steve Purcell. !

Yes!!! That's my favorite!!! :thumbup:

As for more serious comic books, I haven't read that many, but I picked up Wolverine: Old Man Logan a few months ago and thought it was pretty good. I think it was done by the same writer that did Kick ***. I'd like to find more stuff like it.

Right now I am reading Marvels "Untold Tales of the New Universe" a trade paperback that I received as a Christmas Gift from the company I order my comics from.

Legion

Staff member
Not any more, but in my younger days I was a big collector. I must have had over 1000 comics by the end. Mostly Marvel super hero ones, although I liked a lot of the early titles in DC's Verigo line as well. The Sandman, Hellblazer... good stories, well written.

One title I did keep my eye on was Madman by Mike Allred. It had some really nice design elements and fun stories. That would be one of my all time favourites.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I haven't read comic books since the 80's. I was big into G.I.Joe, and The 'Nam. I still have them all. In fact my issue #1 and #2 of G.I.Joe is in mint condition. I remember a time when those two had value to them but has really declined over the years. Hopefully one day they will go back up.

DL

I loved kingdon come. I just got done reading the latest walking dead tpb. I hate having to wait soo long between books. I quit collecting about 3yrs ago, only buy tpb now. ANd even then I only get a few. Incidently (not to highjack the thread) I am now needing to sell all my single issues (around 3400). If any of you fine gentlemen are interested or know of anyone interested in buy some books please PM me. I need to get rid of these books soon. I just found out that me and the mrs are expecting another child and they are taking up room in the future nursery. Thanks guys.

33 year Superman reader.

I have given up on ALL the monthly titles and now I am focusing on reading Superman Chronicles, Showcase Presents Superman, Showcase Presents World's Finest and Showcase Presents Superman Family.

Its a cheaper way to read TONS of stories from back before I collected and the stories are FUN!
Wp

I'm a DC man myself, Superman, Batman, Green Lantern are some of my favorites. I read Y: The Last Man and loved it too.

My favorite authors would be Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman. I've enjoyed most of what they have done.

Moore wrote what is possibly the best Superman story ever "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?" ...and then John Byrne came along and almost destroyed the character.
Wp

Moore wrote what is possibly the best Superman story ever "Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?" ...and then John Byrne came along and almost destroyed the character.
Wp

+1 on Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow. Some other great Supes stories I have enjoyed are:

Superman Red Son
All Star Superman
Superman Secret Origins

One of my all time favorite stories was Action Comics #775.

Top Bottom