What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Looked it up, I think you are right. I would have associated it more with British Clubs, Smoking Jackets and G&T‘s than this setting though :)

I also mentioned Bridge, as it is a non-gambling game. And there are no chips on that table. Probably also a socially more neutral image for a marketer to present in that era, too.

About the Bridge era. Many everyday Americans regardless of status played Bridge from at least the 1940s into the 1970s. It was a great opportunity for couples across neighborhoods to get together in their homes and participate in very socially acceptable activities that didn't involve any real vices. Neighborhood Bridge Parties, with multiple tables, and plenty of food and drink, were not uncommon. I can't tell you how many homes had those little square folding card tables and chairs then. I have a couple sets that we have inherited over the decades from long passed relatives.

I also mentioned Bridge, as it is a non-gambling game. And there are no chips on that table. Probably also a socially more neutral image for a marketer to present in that era, too.

About the Bridge era. Many everyday Americans regardless of status played Bridge from at least the 1940s into the 1970s. It was a great opportunity for couples across neighborhoods to get together in their homes and participate in very socially acceptable activities that didn't involve any real vices. Neighborhood Bridge Parties, with multiple tables, and plenty of food and drink, were not uncommon. I can't tell you how many homes had those little square folding card tables and chairs then. I have a couple sets that we have inherited over the decades from long passed relatives.
Sounds like a great activity and I’m sure there were a couple of good natured side bets going on as well :).

I'm only guessing, but based on how many cards are held, plus the ones on the table and the hefty stack by the ashtray, I'd say they were playing Canasta. There should be a card turned up by the deck for the discards tho. Canasta uses two decks.
That’s one of the few that I know myself so it would be unusual that only one has some columns before him.

Yet you are right, too many cards for Bridge so two decks —> Rummy @luvmysuper and Canasta are not that far apart and both use two decks…

Edit: The cards are stacked away from the player facing the other three. So it’s not Canasta where everyone is keeping the columns for themselves.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

45-11-19.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

45-11-19.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

45-11-19.4.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

45-11-19.5.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

45-11-19.6.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

45-11-19.7.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

45-11-19.8.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

45-11-26.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

45-11-26.3.jpg

Top Bottom