What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

When the room note just isn't working ...

43-1-18.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

The pocket tins have gone off to war. So have those boys that asked for money from college a few years back. Those not fighting are stateside, working. Fighting the production war. And when they have a few spare minutes for a smoke, it now comes out of a soft pouch or paper box. Like this one for Edgeworth. For some brands, the tin never returns. At least there’s still Edgeworth to smoke.

43-1-18.1.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

The pocket tins have gone off to war. So have those boys that asked for money from college a few years back. Those not fighting are stateside, working. Fighting the production war. And when they have a few spare minutes for a smoke, it now comes out of a soft pouch or paper box. Like this one for Edgeworth. For some brands, the tin never returns. At least there’s still Edgeworth to smoke.

View attachment 1395033
Lucky Strike green “went to war” as well. My dad kept a green pack as a memento as I recall.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

43-2-1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

43-2-1.2.jpg

There she is - Jinx Falkenburg. I'm sending in my post card!
Interesting that Model or the ad agency didn't think they needed to add a postal code. Those were 2 digits in those days, I think; "New York 17, New York." But addresses were clear and postal workers knew what they were doing. The mail got where it was going without 5 digits, let alone 9.

Interesting that Model or the ad agency didn't think they needed to add a postal code. Those were 2 digits in those days, I think; "New York 17, New York." But addresses were clear and postal workers knew what they were doing. The mail got where it was going without 5 digits, let alone 9.
I don't think zone codes were introduced in the US until later than this ad appeared.

I don't think zone codes were introduced in the US until later than this ad appeared.
Wikipedia indicates that the first system of postal codes was enacted in many American cities in 1943, but it doesn't say in what part of the year. (Though another article suggests that in the biggest cities such things existed in the 1920s.) This ad is from 1943 -- but it could have come out before the postal code setup was implemented.

View attachment 1395500
We still use parachute flairs today. Both wars I saw, for supporting ground troops at night, you can't beat it. They do turn night into day for 5-10 minutes and level the playing field. Our self propelled M-109 Paladin fire them for infantry support.

@Columbo, at work we have a sign from the current owners grandfather displayed proudly. Call HA5-XXX. It's great to see everyday as I turn the lights on.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

43-2-8.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

43-2-15.jpg

This morning, up early and unable to work out thanks to rain, I communed with the Stanwell billiard, the "lieutenant's pipe," with a bowl of Prince Albert plus a pinch of the C & D Alpine Lodge. 'Twas a very good session, my first in 3 days or so. Here is what pipe smoking is supposed to be: a mild and unassuming codger blend, a comfortable dry-smoking pipe, no throat dryness or tongue bite, a couple cups of coffee, and -- though the old codgers didn't have that -- some quiet Internet time. In their case it would have been the morning paper and/or the radio.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

43-2-15.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

43-2-15.4.jpg

Top Bottom