What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

31-9.3.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m getting heavily into Granger lately. I’ve been smoking it all day and finishing off the day with SWRA. I could live with those two alone - not that I would but I certainly could 😃

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

31-10.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I’m getting heavily into Granger lately. I’ve been smoking it all day and finishing off the day with SWRA. I could live with those two alone - not that I would but I certainly could 😃

SWRA is a very nice anytime smoke. But it is an excellent dessert and evening smoke. I typically smoke it in the evenings as well. A pleasant smelling treat for Mrs. Columbo, too!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-10.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-10.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-11.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-11.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-12.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Hmm. Mrs. Rookie will like to see this. She has a few briars and a decent selection of aros that "aren't for you, Rookie".

I’ll just add this. In the literally thousands of popular print ads reviewed during the 50 year window for this project (mid 1920s through mid-late 1970s), including the ads for pipes, pipe tobacco, and general advertising showing pipe smoking in our culture, there is not a single advertisement, feature or article depicting a lady smoking a pipe. Not one.

However, I will tell you that the ads depicting female cigarette smokers for this same period are absolutely legion. Chesterfield in particular celebrated the female cigarette smoker throughout this era.

Tobacco pipe smoking, for good or for bad, has been and remains primarily a male occupation. While they are welcome to do so, women for the most part don’t smoke pipes. They don’t smoke cigars or chew tobacco much, either. They in fact CHOOSE not to. But women do smoke cigarettes, more so than men do.

That is the reality.

That is not to say that all women do not smoke pipes. The excellent lady pipe tech I referenced here a few months ago is a pipe smoker ... a practice she picked up from her pipe-smoking grandmother going back to the coal country in the 1920s. But that appears to be the very rare exception.

These vintage ads are simply reflecting the prevailing realities for their era. And to be brutally honest, I have yet to see a single female poster here at BL — or on any other of the various pipe and pipe tobacco vendor and review websites — talking about their pipes or pipe tobacco. Even today, it is almost exclusively a male community. Not by exclusion, but by choice. While she is always welcome to do so, Mrs. Columbo has no interest whatsoever in smoking my pipes ... and I think her typical of most women.

What we see in the print media throughout this half-century snapshot are men smoking pipes, the interaction with the ladies over it, and the ladies either being very unhappy about the resulting stench, or enamoured with the attractive fragrance of a man smoking a good pipe tobacco. The typical scenarios.

And the companies selling pipes and pipe tobacco are playing to their target market. It is a business based on reality. They are chasing the men, because that’s who uses the stuff. In fact, by the end of the 1960s, the vast majority of the few pipe and pipe tobacco ads still published are released in male-focused periodicals.

FWIW, I don’t think that 1931 Edgeworth ad says what you may be implying. It is not saying that pipe smoking is ”not for the women”. What it is saying is that pipe smoking is something that women have not yet embraced, leaving it for the men.

Last edited:
Without a doubt pipe smoking has always been a man's hobby/vice. At least in advertising. And I also understand those ads are products of their times. In fact, they're probably much more tame than others of the same era. An ad from the 50s about the VW Bug touting the ease of replacement body parts starts out with "She's pretty, but she hits things".

No, please don't misunderstand me that I had a problem with anything. I really meant that she'd like to see that as a female (occasional) pipe smoker. I probably should have phrased that differently.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-12.2.jpg

These ads might not be PC; that's fine. But many are also a reflection of the ad campaign notion that men are to be henpecked as a natural part of life, or are clueless and need to be led by their women. Which notion we still see, annoyingly often, today.

Last edited:
Last night I tried the Granger Steveclarkus sent me!

Wednesday morning I loaded the Stanwell billiard with the tobacco. Then, after dinner last night, I lit up and smoked partly outdoors (there was some wind) and inside by my screen door. The tobacco lights and burns well; I got about 22 minutes from the tall bowl, and another 5 after a relight. A nice hint of flavor -- not a lot different at my first acquaintance from Carter Hall, for instance. No tongue bite. I did notice that the lower part of the bowl felt fairly hot after about 15 minutes (a reminder that there is a ball of flaming leaf down in there!), but then the Stanwell is sort of thin-walled compared to some others I have. I'll try it again in my thick-walled Lorenzo sitter.

Good stuff!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
These ads might be PC, but many are also a reflection of the ad campaign notion that men are to be henpecked as a natural part of life, or are clueless and need to be led by their women. Which notion we still see, annoyingly often, today.

Stereotypes are enduring. And not always necessarily endearing. Particularly where matters of the sexes are involved.

Popular culture of the day tends to play to the average. As long as we don’t clutch our pearls too hard, there is a lot to discover and learn about.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Last night I tried the Granger Steveclarkus sent me!

Wednesday morning I loaded the Stanwell billiard with the tobacco. Then, after dinner last night, I lit up and smoked partly outdoors (there was some wind) and inside by my screen door. The tobacco lights and burns well; I got about 22 minutes from the tall bowl, and another 5 after a relight. A nice hint of flavor -- not a lot different at my first acquaintance from Carter Hall, for instance. No tongue bite. I did notice that the lower part of the bowl felt fairly hot after about 15 minutes (a reminder that there is a ball of flaming leaf down in there!), but then the Stanwell is sort of thin-walled compared to some others I have. I'll try it again in my thick-walled Lorenzo sitter.

Good stuff!
Twenty five to thirty minutes in an outdoor or near outdoor setting with that tobacco is an excellent smoke time.

Granger has historically been underrated compared to the other OTCs, due to its lower price. It is good Burley.

Top Bottom