What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The Granger ad scene looks like an episode of Have Gun -- Will Travel that brought Paladin to Alaska. He wasn't a pipe smoker, though. The occasional cigar, but that was about it.

I stopped by my grocery yesterday to ask about the new shipment they expected with some Carter Hall. They told me it wasn't in there. Apparently the distributor can't get the brand right now. I'm glad I grabbed a box when I did.

The last word I have is that both PA and Carter Hall are presently discontinued, as John Middleton negotiates their sale. Hopefully soon, to STG.

What's out there is the last of Middleton production.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

31-2.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

31-3.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-3.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Of all the codger blends that have gone the way of all things, I miss ERR the most.

The LLRR reboot is actually quite good. It's been my primary daily since PA has fallen into limbo. Once the tub is open a few days, it really settles down and approaches my flavor recollection of old Edgeworth. The cut is a little off, but the rest is right there.

I just wish it weren't so expensive.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-4.1.jpg

There is something visually dramatic about a pipe with a military mount, isn't there? It seems a lot of the SWR ads have drawn the main character's pipe that way. I need to look for one of those vintage tins to keep my stash in!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
There is something visually dramatic about a pipe with a military mount, isn't there? It seems a lot of the SWR ads have drawn the main character's pipe that way. I need to look for one of those vintage tins to keep my stash in!

Yes. Considering the humble and completely utilitarian origins of the army mount, it quickly took hold as a luxurious, elegant and stylish design by the 1920s. And considering the silver and gold often used, an expensive one at that.

For the filter smoker, they do facilitate more convenient cartridge changes.

The only thing better is a spigot mount. I've been waiting on a German spigot for nearly four months now. One (the third one) is presently held up in Frankfurt, and hopefully I see it before May. It is a long and tortured story for another time.

The other thing these early SWR ads do is oversize the pipes for dramatic effect. The nature of cartoons.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-5.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I never had the Lars ready rubbed just the slices which were good. I wasn’t even aware of their being a ready rubbed then

Ready rubbed was the primary seller of Edgeworth up until Larus stopped production, although sliced, and for a time a milder Jr. blend, were also offered. I never had their sliced, but was told by the dinosaurs they were excellent.

I only smoked ERR off and on when it was Larus made. It’s a little richer than, but not quite as buttery smooth, or as fragrant, as PA to my taste. I can smoke PA from sunrise to bedtime, but ERR/LLRR only most of the day. ;) However, to me they are the closest cousins on the OTC spectrum. More of a bittersweet cocoa hovering behind that nutty, creamy Burley. CH and SWR are both considerably sweeter and milder. And then you start veering off into Velvet and H&H and the others with more flavors of one sort or another. The Granger you are currently smoking is probably the plainest Burley of them all. And if you like Burley, that’s a good thing.

Where it gets interesting is the constant comparisons among the original ERR, the current recipe-following STG Lane version, and the Sutliff match. I find the match (like most Sutliff matches) a little too syrupy compared to my recollection of the original. Plenty of flavor, but sweeter and more goopy than the original. Reviewers hook on those initial flavor pyrotechnics, and forget that people smoke this stuff all day, everyday. After a few weeks, it can get tiresome.

The current Lane version is more faithful to the original to me, but the cut has changed. The trick with LLRR is to leave the open tub to air for a couple days. Whatever STG Lane is packing it with then seems to dissipate, and it settles down to a very nice smoking tub. I do not understand why blenders are using so much PG nowadays other than that the inventory may sit around longer than it did 50 years ago ... and they’re not using metal containers anymore. And yet, the 50 year old sealed cans hold up just fine. Go figure.

Reviewers attempting comparisons with 50+ year old samples to current production is foolish IMO. Take them with considerable salt; the samples did not taste that good when they were fresh in 1970 or 1960 ... and even Edgeworth conceded this fact (as we will soon see). I expect 50 and 70 year old vacuum-packed samples of ERR to be terrific ... but I’m not stowing away LLRR for 50 years to make a comparison.

Many consider LLRR the best of the current OTC Burley breed, but it is borderline overpriced. And pouches have disappeared for a while. So a $45 tub to see if you like it is a tough jump. But if you like Granger, I’m guessing you’re going to really like LLRR. I like it, FWIW.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ready rubbed was the primary seller of Edgeworth up until Larus stopped production, although sliced, and for a time a milder Jr. blend, were also offered. I never had their sliced, but was told by the dinosaurs they were excellent.

I only smoked ERR off and on when it was Larus made. It’s a little richer than, but not quite as buttery smooth, or as fragrant, as PA to my taste. I can smoke PA from sunrise to bedtime, but ERR/LLRR only most of the day. ;) However, to me they are the closest cousins on the OTC spectrum. More of a bittersweet cocoa hovering behind that nutty, creamy Burley. CH and SWR are both considerably sweeter and milder. And then you start veering off into Velvet and H&H and the others with more flavors of one sort or another. The Granger you are currently smoking is probably the plainest Burley of them all. And if you like Burley, that’s a good thing.

Where it gets interesting is the constant comparisons among the original ERR, the current recipe-following STG Lane version, and the Sutliff match. I find the match (like most Sutliff matches) a little too syrupy compared to my recollection of the original. Plenty of flavor, but sweeter and more goopy than the original. Reviewers hook on those initial flavor pyrotechnics, and forget that people smoke this stuff all day, everyday. After a few weeks, it can get tiresome.

The current Lane version is more faithful to the original to me, but the cut has changed. The trick with LLRR is to leave the open tub to air for a couple days. Whatever STG Lane is packing it with then seems to dissipate, and it settles down to a very nice smoking tub. I do not understand why blenders are using so much PG nowadays other than that the inventory may sit around longer than it did 50 years ago ... and they’re not using metal containers anymore. And yet, the 50 year old sealed cans hold up just fine. Go figure.

Reviewers attempting comparisons with 50+ year old samples to current production is foolish IMO. Take them with considerable salt; the samples did not taste that good when they were fresh in 1970 or 1960 ... and even Edgeworth conceded this fact (as we will soon see). I expect 50 and 70 year old vacuum-packed samples of ERR to be terrific ... but I’m not stowing away LLRR for 50 years to make a comparison.

Many consider LLRR the best of the current OTC Burley breed, but it is borderline overpriced. And pouches have disappeared for a while. So a $45 tub to see if you like it is a tough jump. But if you like Granger, I’m guessing you’re going to really like LLRR. I like it, FWIW.
I really don’t remember the flavor of Edgeworth but smoked it I suppose frequently. I have both LLRR and Sutliff RR
I prefer the flavor of the Sutliff - more cocoa but do not like the cut as it is a bit too chunkey so my preference is LLRR. I
Will likely get another tin of LLRR soon; I don’t have much left but probably have at least a pound of Sutliff. Yep, I’m
A Burley lover and am enjoying the Granger which is improved over the Pinkerton version. Flavor strength seems to be somewhere between Velvet and SWR. And unlike the Pinkerton no bite. Granger is truly an all day blend. When I have a taste for VA I usually go to Sutliff Mature Red VA or Victoria.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-5.2.jpg

31-5.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-6.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-7.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-8.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-9.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-9.2.jpg

Re: "Pinched for Reckless Piping": I haven't seen a motorcycle cop in a long time!

In 1934, this was the breed of public servant Rex Stout had Archie Goodwin call a "bicycle Cossack." (They were probably more reasonable and human, given a chance, than a lot of the would-be dictators who pretend to serve the public nowadays, though.)

Top Bottom