What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

30-3.1.jpg

Jeez! Get it together Wilbert!

It's right to a point, though. Mrs. Rookie will open the windows sometimes if I'm smoking a codger or light aromatic. She'll shut them quick and glare at me the length of an English blend, though.

That Prince of Wales model in the ad does look like my small straight apple, at that!

At first I thought, "That can't be from 1930. Roosevelt was not inaugurated until March of 1933!" But of course there was Teddy's inauguration in 1904, and the phrase "stringy cravat" fits better with that notion. The ad implies that a good deal of time has gone by since that inauguration.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

30-8.1.jpg

Some may have noticed the “Hints” to pipe care in the evolving SWR ads.

At a later point in our exposition, I’ll put up a more contemporary version of the B&W Booklet.

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

30-9.1.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Received a tub of Granger today and have been smoking it. This is STG where my previous experience was Pinkerton which would bite a bit. The STG doesn’t bite or feel like it wants to. I’m finding it much like SWR but less flavored and similar cut. Just a no nonsense straight burley. Quite pleasant. Drying isn’t necessary with this version where I had to dry the Pinkerton to keep the bite at bay.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It tends to smoke a little hot for me despite my attempts just to sip at the pipe. I still like it, but I'm thinking I will try a blend with some Sir Walter, or that Match Field & Stream.
I have the Granger. If you would like a sample, PM me your address. System wouldn’t let me PM you.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Received a tub of Granger today and have been smoking it. This is STG where my previous experience was Pinkerton which would bite a bit. The STG doesn’t bite or feel like it wants to. I’m finding it much like SWR but less flavored and similar cut. Just a no nonsense straight burley. Quite pleasant. Drying isn’t necessary with this version where I had to dry the Pinkerton to keep the bite at bay.

That is about my experience with it. Good, solid, basic Burley. No frills. And well-priced.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

As it’s nearly Easter, but still not too late, we gave Uncle Harry the keys to our DeLorean to deliver this PSA (Pipers’ Service Announcement).

41-4-14.3.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-1.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

We finally see one of the best of the American classics grace the coffee table. A popular-priced blend as good as any made. One smoked by statesmen, dictators — and even machines — as the de facto standard of ‘fine pipe tobacco’. Eventually billing itself as “America’s Finest Pipe Tobacco”, its then blender, Larus & Bro., was not shy about it, positioning it as the choice of decision makers and the more serious, discerning, pipe smoker. Larus resisted a wider target market, usually advertising it as solely for pipes, and offering a separate “Jr.” blend for beginners and RYO.

Introduced in 1903, it was available back in the day both ready rubbed and sliced, and competitively priced. Later blended by Lane, and currently by STG, as “Lane Limited Ready Rubbed”, it still mainly follows the original Larus recipe. It’s also available in a Sutliff match. Grab some while you can. Say hello to Edgeworth.

31-1.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-2.1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

31-2.2.jpg

The Granger ad scene looks like an episode of Have Gun -- Will Travel that brought Paladin to Alaska. He wasn't a pipe smoker, though. The occasional cigar, but that was about it.

I stopped by my grocery yesterday to ask about the new shipment they expected with some Carter Hall. They told me it wasn't in there. Apparently the distributor can't get the brand right now. I'm glad I grabbed a box when I did.

Top Bottom