What's new

The Circle of Life

I grew up in a small farm community in the Midwest. I had what seemed like a typical family; a mom and dad, two sisters and a brother. We lived in a modest 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom ranch. I have very fond memories of sitting on the toilet watching my father do his daily routine getting ready for work. He would fill up an old coffee mug full of hot water and soak his shaving brush while he washed his face with soap and water. He would then take his brush and swirl it around in another old coffee mug that held shaving soap. He would lather up and start shaving with his DE razor. I watched as he skillfully and strategically removed his whiskers. He would contort his face and make some of the funniest expressions along the way. After making a couple of passes he would rinse and then splash on some cheap aftershave.

I went through life wanting more, you know, to do things better. I would buy the latest multi-blade razor and shaving gel. I would only use expensive designer aftershaves and colognes. I even would go to a hair stylist and pay big bucks for a real haircut instead of the local barbershop.

Over the last year I have re-discovered the pleasures of going to a traditional barbershop designed by men and for men. More recently I have purchased a DE razor and started learning the ways of traditional wet shaving. Most days while shaving, I see my dad in the mirror contorting and making funny faces. You see, I do those same things in search of my perfect shave. I have even discovered the virtues of cheap aftershave such as Aqua Velva and Pinaud Clubman.

It is interesting how life over time takes interesting turns until you wake up and realize that you have gone full circle. It feels good to be a man.

life over time takes interesting turns until you wake up and realize that you have gone full circle
Native Americans viewed life as a circle. Mother earth is round, The sacred hoop, you go a full circle and in old age return to become like a child again. Just a thought and not pushing any viewpoint over another.
I have went full circle on a lot of things in life only to return to where I started not to mention shaving.

Native Americans viewed life as a circle. Mother earth is round, The sacred hoop, you go a full circle and in old age return to become like a child again. Just a thought and not pushing any viewpoint over another.
I have went full circle on a lot of things in life only to return to where I started not to mention shaving.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and thanks for all the kind remarks.

Thanks so much for sharing your story. As a child, I watched my grandfather and father shave with a DE razor. I followed and have been wet shaving for over fifty years, and not infrequently, think of them. I think the scents of Mennen (my father) and Old Spice (my grandfather) are etched into my brain. My only son has had a beard for the past 10 years, but I'll start working on him should he decide on a change.

Top Bottom