What's new

The "Chrome" Toggle That Isn't

I am the proud owner of a F-4 "Chrome" Toggle that isn't chrome. As far as I know this is the only gold "Chrome" type toggle to exist. Apparently the executives at Gillette didn't mind making small numbers of special razors probably as perks for the anointed. I have three purposes for this post. The first is to show it off and educate anyone who may not have seen it. The second is to prove such a rare bird exists and show the skeptics. And finally I would like the mods to make note of this find in the Toggle wiki.

Some skeptics believe that this razor is simply a factory finish nickle plated "chrome" type toggle that has been replated in gold. I have examined the razor with a 7x Hastings Triplet and have found no evidence of replating. Repaters will buff the razor prior to replating and this tends to do two things. It removes detail and/or leaves some old plating. The loss of detail can be found in the knurling and markings under the base plate of the razor head. There is no loss of detail on this razor. And, when old plating remains, no matter how minute, when covered with new plating it can be seen as bumps or lines on the razor. This razor has no such bumps or lines. Also the black spring stop for the adjustment ring is still black not gold as it would be if it were replated. Also this toggle's adjustment ring is a gold matte finish (just like my D1 standard toggle) and the rest of the razor is high gloss gold. This would not be the case for a replated razor. And, the black paint on the collet and numbers is flawless. There is wear on the plating of the toggle as would be typical of this type of gold razor. Finally, I rely on the reputation of Stan at Above The Tie, where I purchased this razor. Stan knows what can be accomplished in a replating process and it is his firm belief that this is an original gold factory finish razor. So, people who have seen this razor believe it to be genuine; skeptics have not examined it.

Here are some amateur photos I have taken of it:

$L1020715.jpg$L1020716.jpg$L1020717.jpg

Mods please take note of my request to modify the Toggle wiki. Thank you.

Any way you slice it, it's a unique model among a rare breed. A fine catch no matter how you look at it in my opinion! Congrats!

You can even see on the toggle end where the plating is wearing off a little... so either they stripped it REALLY good and put a VERY THIN new coat on it, then I too believe it to be original. I know mine are original gold plating and look just like that...

In short what you've got is a white gold Toggle. I don't think I've seen a razor plated in white gold before. I don't see why Gillette wouldn't have tried it out. Congratulations on a beautiful razor.

In short what you've got is a white gold Toggle. I don't think I've seen a razor plated in white gold before. I don't see why Gillette wouldn't have tried it out. Congratulations on a beautiful razor.

Sorry my photos are darker and you can't tell the color of the gold from my photos (I assume or are you being funny or ludicrous?). It is definitely yellow gold. Here is a professional photo of the razor.

$GilletteToggleProto5.jpg

Last edited:
I simply assumed that I could take you at your word. I assumed, obviously wrongly, that when you posted a picture of a silver coloured razor, and you explain how it isn't chrome but rather that it's gold, that it's white gold.

Should I have assumed you were trying to be funny or ludicrous when you did that?

Sorry my photos are darker and you can't tell the color of the gold from my photos (I assume or are you being funny or ludicrous?). It is definitely yellow gold. Here is a professional photo of the razor.

View attachment 347374

I simply assumed that I could take you at your word. I assumed, obviously wrongly, that when you posted a picture of a silver coloured razor, and you explain how it isn't chrome but rather that it's gold, that it's white gold.

Should I have assumed you were trying to be funny or ludicrous when you did that?

My word is good. It is obviously not a silver colored razor. I now see you were being ludicrous. Thank you for your clarification.

This razor has been up for discussion before.

Yes, I see the similar threads at the bottom of the page. However, as only Stan and I have seen the razor up close I wanted to post my thoughts.

Edit: I would also like to see the Toggle wiki get changed to reflect this new discovery.

Last edited:
My word is good. It is obviously not a silver colored razor. I now see you were being ludicrous. Thank you for your clarification.

Sorry for your confusion. A yellow coloured, gold plated toggle is not exactly all that unique. I had one some time ago and sold it, it was a 1958 if I remember correctly. For all I know it's the one that's now in your hands. What I've never seen is a toggle plated in white gold. I guess I still haven't seen one. Now that I think of it, for some reason I've not seen any razors done in white gold. Rose yes, yellow yes, but not white.

Here's a picture of the one I sold some years ago:

$Picture 44.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for your confusion. A yellow coloured, gold plated toggle is not exactly all that unique.

I am not confused. Please try and follow. If you need to to be brought up to speed, please see Mr. Razor's website for Adjustable Gillettes. Look for "Chrome" type Toggles. Notice your Toggle has a Red Dot, mine does not because it is a "Chrome" type toggle but in yellow gold making it unique.

Yes, I see the similar threads at the bottom of the page. However, as only Stan and I have seen the razor up close I wanted to post my thoughts.

Edit: I would also like to see the Toggle wiki get changed to reflect this new discovery.

I don't really think it's a "new discovery," as it's been listed on a prominent website for months at a very premium price. I would assume anyone that edits the wiki already knows of it's existence.

I don't really think it's a "new discovery," as it's been listed on a prominent website for months at a very premium price. I would assume anyone that edits the wiki already knows of it's existence.

The wiki does not mention it. It only mentions the following:

There was also a nickel version produced during the last quarter of 1960. It has a 1-9 dial, but the dial is unique in that it has mechanical "stops" at both ends of the dial. There is a spring visible, yet the height of the dial is not the same across the entire dial. Thus it is a hybrid of sorts between the dial found on the normal toggles and those found on the fatboy.

It should mention that there exists also a gold version which may or may not be unique. I don't want to presume to edit the wiki. But someone should.

Top Bottom