What's new

The Christy-Penn Trifecta

The Christy, Penn, and Mark Cross razors are all part of the same family of razors, with Russ Christy, Greenbriar, and Cress being the inventors and all associated with the Christy Company.

Because of their proprietary blades they often sit unloved and unused. Don't do this.

The Mark Cross razor has been a favorite of mine for years, a standard injector blade or shimmed DE work without modification.

Today's shave was with three other members of the family. Only the Penn Adjustable requires a shim, just taking the edge off the stock blade.

The Christy-Penn Trifecta:

Penn Dollar Razor (1914)/ Schick B20
Christy Massage Bar (1923)/ Schick B20
Penn Adjustable (1917)/ BIC

Total success this morning.

Since the Penn Adjustable-DE blade was an unproven combination I decided to start there with a WTG beard pass. Just terrific. I did a few ATG strokes to test those waters and fine as well. Second pass with the Christy had a different feel of course with an injector blade and my setting was super comfortable if a wee bit mild. No problem ATG. Head shave I started with my usual ATG pass with the Penn Dollar, again a wee bit mild but marvelous. Having tested its capabilities I finished mostly ATG pickups with the Adjustable.

I just hate to let a good razor sit unused and today's shave left me thrilled to see these underappreciated tools perform so well.

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The Christy, Penn, and Mark Cross razors are all part of the same family of razors, with Russ Christy, Greenbriar, and Cress being the inventors and all associated with the Christy Company.

Because of their proprietary blades they often sit unloved and unused. Don't do this.

The Mark Cross razor has been a favorite of mine for years, a standard injector blade or shimmed DE work without modification.

Today's shave was with three other members of the family. Only the Penn Adjustable requires a shim, just taking the edge off the stock blade.

The Christy-Penn Trifecta:

Penn Dollar Razor (1914)/ Schick B20
Christy Massage Bar (1923)/ Schick B20
Penn Adjustable (1917)/ BIC

Total success this morning.

Since the Penn Adjustable-DE blade was an unproven combination I decided to start there with a WTG beard pass. Just terrific. I did a few ATG strokes to test those waters and fine as well. Second pass with the Christy had a different feel of course with an injector blade and my setting was super comfortable if a wee bit mild. No problem ATG. Head shave I started with my usual ATG pass with the Penn Dollar, again a wee bit mild but marvelous. Having tested its capabilities I finished mostly ATG pickups with the Adjustable.

I just hate to let a good razor sit unused and today's shave left me thrilled to see these underappreciated tools perform so well.

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Thanks for sharing photos and patent information about these rare razors. Like autos, there were dozens of razor manufacturers in the 1920s and 1930s which ceased business long ago. By the 1950s, Gillette became the dominant brand, followed behind by Schick and GEM. I'm guessing that superior marketing and distribution by Gillette was the reason, not that its razors were necessarily better.

Thanks for sharing photos and patent information about these rare razors. Like autos, there were dozens of razor manufacturers in the 1920s and 1930s which ceased business long ago. By the 1950s, Gillette became the dominant brand, followed behind by Schick and GEM. I'm guessing that superior marketing and distribution by Gillette was the reason, not that its razors were necessarily better.
A couple of World Wars which favored Gillette's distribution didn't hurt either.

I had a Christy at one time but I never used it. I didn't know that any modern blades were compatible; I think I threw it into a garbage can....... :sad: :blink:

I had a Christy at one time but I never used it. I didn't know that any modern blades were compatible; I think I threw it into a garbage can....... :sad: :blink:
Not all of them are compatible but the late issue massage bar types are a go.

As an addendum I would advise sticking with injector blades. Although I didn't notice any issues while shaving, I think the DE blade in the Adjustable may have moved a bit in use and I wouldn't take any chances in the future.

Top Bottom