What's new

The Chisel Grind EDC Knife?

Yea, I didn’t think much about the fact that blade had a chisel ground edge made of D2 when I got it. Who uses a dagger as a EDC knife anyway? Well... uh, maybe me?

4B6967C5-DE3E-4411-9406-0CD6999EFE74.jpeg

Man, look at this thing! Weird EDC? But what a cutter!

After getting the knife, I just began to ware it more and more. It sits in my hand so well. Eventually, I stopped carrying my regular edc to cut with, and just use this as I would any knife. The edge is awesome! Just awesome. This thing slices like a champ! Why aren’t all blades chisels? It’s so much stronger! Isn’t it?

Isn’t it?

So here’s what this old dog thinks he’s learned.
  • I actually like Benchmade D2
  • Chisel grinds are pretty awesome
  • I want a knife just like it, chisel grind & D2 but just not so threatening
Yea, this thing scares the snot out of people. That’s too bad, so I’m on the look out. Any ideas?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Benchmade Adamas is a D2 folder... "beast" isn't the word. Sure it weighs more than the dagger. Hope I never have to sharpen mine, I'll wind up sending it in. D2 is probably beyond my skills.

AA

Benchmade Adamas is a D2 folder... "beast" isn't the word. Sure it weighs more than the dagger. Hope I never have to sharpen mine, I'll wind up sending it in. D2 is probably beyond my skills.

AA
The Adamas is a total beast for sure. I was surprised at the weight even though it is a biggun.

I have a Medford Praetorian in D2 and it is so big it is almost comical. Incredibly overbuilt and will outlast me, but I may sell it as it is too ridiculous to EDC.

I have more than a few D2 knives. I really like the steel.

I don’t find D2 hard to sharpen. M390 on the other hand...

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Yea, I didn’t think much about the fact that blade had a chisel ground edge made of D2 when I got it. Who uses a dagger as a EDC knife anyway? Well... uh, maybe me?

View attachment 1181609

After getting the knife, I just began to ware it more and more. It sits in my hand so well. Eventually, I stopped carrying my regular edc to cut with, and just use this as I would any knife. The edge is awesome! Just awesome. This thing slices like a champ! Why aren’t all blades chisels? It’s so much stronger! Isn’t it?

Isn’t it?

Yea, this thing scares the snot out of people. That’s too bad, so I’m on the look out. Any ideas?
I have a knife made by Terry Primos that he called a "Dress Tactical". One edge is conventional and the other a chisel grind.

Full image

Blade

View attachment 1181609

Isn’t it?

So the other side is flat?
I’ve never seen that done on a dagger aside from some push daggers from Cold Steel.

So the other side is flat?
I’ve never seen that done on a dagger aside from some push daggers from Cold Steel.
Yes sir, the other side is flat.

It’s a cool grind. Just to see, I used it to slice up some beef stir fry. It’s a fully functioning grind like any other. Made short work of the steak. What a slicer!

Yes sir, the other side is flat.

It’s a cool grind. Just to see, I used it to slice up some beef stir fry. It’s a fully functioning grind like any other. Made short work of the steak. What a slicer!
Can you post a picture from the flat side? Google only shows it from the presentation side.
Many thanks

I added a couple of straps to the sheath so it would carry more comfortably. It might not be sexy, but it’s perfect, and stupid comfortable.

7E848A65-0F37-4DBA-8C23-17C3644139F3.jpeg

Clearly that’s the back.

Emerson Min-Com is my favorite chisel grind. Mine has seen a lot of abuse; had it factory rescaled because the texture was worn off from use. In case you notice the blade has been reshaped as well…the factory reground the blade. I broke a piece of the tip off during a deployment and wanted to keep the original blade as a reminder. Nineteen years of abuse on this one.
36AC3608-F73B-42A3-84C5-AEA0FEEB890C.jpeg

The Adamas is a total beast for sure. I was surprised at the weight even though it is a biggun.

I have a Medford Praetorian in D2 and it is so big it is almost comical. Incredibly overbuilt and will outlast me, but I may sell it as it is too ridiculous to EDC.

I have more than a few D2 knives. I really like the steel.

I don’t find D2 hard to sharpen. M390 on the other hand...
D2 isnt hard to sharpen. Its the sheer mass of the Adamas that makes it a timely task. So much thickness behind the edge. Even on extra coarse DMT it takes a hot sec to apex the edge. Spydercos with hard ler steels take less time just due to the thinner blade geometry.

Top Bottom