What's new

THE Chemex Brewer Thread

Years ago, when I was searching for the perfect coffee machine, one of my criterias was a machine that doesn't have any plastic parts. I was about to buy one the those la pavonni expresso machines but passed The chemex was one of the few designs that doesn't use any plastic. I also wanted a great cup of joe made fast with easy cleanup. The #4 filters aren't strong enough nor the right shape to be used for the chemex, however one can fold a side and place it in a metal cone and viola! I love my chemex and use it almost everyday for about 5 years. I love how it is so simple and versatile. Now I can also make great coffee from one of my espresso machines, percolator, Technovorm, or several other designs, -but the chemex is my favorite. When the leather band wore off and broke, I replaced it with a couple rubber bands.

Does anyone else find the taste of coffee from the Chemex to be a little too 'clean'? Especially when compared to the Aeropress.

I brew with the usual 1/16 ratio and the total extraction time is around 3 minutes for 30g coffee/500ml water. I like the Chemex but would like a stronger taste out of it - should I decrease the amount of water used or should I accept that the thick Chemex filters give this taste?

Would a Kone filter give my brew body?

Hope this makes sense, all help appreciated.

Use a screen filter. Much "rounder" taste profile in a Chemex.

The Chemex filters are the main reason for choosing That brewer. Try a different coffee or blend that has some Sumatran. Not my choice but adding a more "earthy" taste to your coffee might be what you are after to "unclean" the taste.

I had to roast and blend in some Ethiopian to my last Sumatran Roast as the wife said the SO Sumatran had "too much dirt taste" for her.

Top Bottom