What's new

THE Chemex Brewer Thread

I am starting this thread so users of the Chemex brewing system can post their thoughts and experiences with making pour over in their Chemex brewers.

Don't be scared to post PICS too :001_smile

I'll start it off by posting a pic of my 3 Amigos which are the ones I keep out on the counter

I've had most of my Chemex brewers since I was on college (early 70's) when I could pick them up at thrift stores for 50¢ a pop. Wish I had bought MANY MORE

proxy.php

I'm a big fan of the Chemex. I have the version with the handle (I'll post pics soon). I am about 50/50 between brewing with the Chemex paper filters and brewing with the Kone:

http://ablebrewing.com/products/kone-coffee-filter

My setup includes a scale and a Bona Vita variable temp gooseneck kettle. I typically use 48 grams of coffee and 750 grams of water at 200-205F. The Chemex paper filters brew a very clean cup that tastes a little sweeter than the Kone to me. The Kone brews a more nuanced cup with more body.

Intelligentsia has a nice iPhone app that has play by play instructions for brewing with the Chemex. It has some other useful coffee info, too.

Used mine today. I'm still waiting for the chemex filters to arrive. I used a #4 Melitta paper filter at first, until it gave way mid brew.....then I used two Melitta filters. Came out nicely. Left it on low on the stove, as per chemex, to keep the second cup warm. Worked well without overheating it.

Used mine today. I'm still waiting for the chemex filters to arrive. I used a #4 Melitta paper filter at first, until it gave way mid brew.....then I used two Melitta filters. Came out nicely. Left it on low on the stove, as per chemex, to keep the second cup warm. Worked well without overheating it.

I always transfer the coffee I make in my Chemex into a preheated thermal carafe. I find that leaving the Chemex on any kind of heat trashes the leather straps that hold the wood parts on not to mention cooking the coffee after brewing always throws the taste off for me.

Coffee stays warm for several hours when kept in a preheated thermal carafe

proxy.php

Reactions: Kix
I always transfer the coffee I make in my Chemex into a preheated thermal carafe. I find that leaving the Chemex on any kind of heat trashes the leather straps that hold the wood parts on not to mention cooking the coffee after brewing always throws the taste off for me.

Coffee stays warm for several hours when kept in a preheated thermal carafe

One more item I don't want to addd to the process. I agree with cooking coffee, however I'm only making two cups, so it gets drank soon enough.

I like to make enough to pour one cup right away and pour another cup's worth in a preheated thermos.

That's interesting to hear the size 4 filters give out. Haven't tried them yet.

One more item I don't want to addd to the process. I agree with cooking coffee, however I'm only making two cups, so it gets drank soon enough.

Just put the Chemex on a pot holder to insulate it from the counter rather than putting it on a burner.

Get a 1 liter carafe. That way you can make 4 cups and the other 3 will stay warm enough to drink for 2-3 hours.

I find that pour over coffee taste better to me (mellower) after an hours resting time so I enjoy the 2nd and 3rd cups more than the first one.

When I brew in a Chemex I put the brewer on a woven mat to insulate it while I am brewing. Something like this would work to keep 1 cup warm for about an hour (maybe a little less time as the sides of the brewer are exposed to the air)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Dug out a couple of my Chemex and took pics of the logos.

I am not all that up on Chemex "collecting" but I thought these photos would be interesting to those among us who scourer the thrift shops for razors.

proxy.php

This one has the Chemex log pressed into the glass around the top rim not stamped with ink on the bottom. Pic shows it a little double imaged as the thickness of the glass against the white paper made it "reflect/shift" actual impressing is clear. The logo is about 1 1/2" across so rather large and hard to miss

proxy.php

Speaking of scouring thrift stores.... I never really come into contact with razors at them, I think any store by me probably throws them away :angry:! Recently I found a shaving stand at a local thrift shop, and that was probably the most shaving related item, other than an old spice shaving mug, i've found at a thrift store to date.

However i've found a few cheap burr grinders (good/consistant enough for fine-drip-coarse drip, and miles better than a blade grinder) some moka pots, etc. Coffee equipment seems to get around more :tongue_sm

I've been hunting for a chemex at a thrift shop for a few weeks now, I really hope I can find one without dropping the 30-40$ on a new one. Call me thrifty, but I just love the thrill of the hunt:laugh:

Heres mine. I have the 6 cup as they call it. I prefer French press though because Chemex makes such a clean cup it reminds me of tea. I like my coffee a little thicker.

$IMG_9655.jpg

Mine is in the mail, excited to try it. My quick research shows that there isnt really any comparable alternative filters for the Chemex.. true?

Mine is in the mail, excited to try it. My quick research shows that there isnt really any comparable alternative filters for the Chemex.. true?

Hario V-60 filters are the same shape but a little shorter. They are a lot harder to find too.

Chemex on the left. Hario on the right

proxy.php

There are a lot of metal filters that are 60 degrees from gold plated to stainless. Personally I like the taste that the factory Chemex filters give.

Thanks, Mick.

Any preference between the Chemex natural vs bleeched filters?

Bleached by a LONG shot (for me anyway but as with anything YMMV).

ALWAYS rinse your filters with boiling water to both remove the paper taste and to pre-heat your brewer.

Rise, pour out the rise water, then brew. I pour the rise water into my thermal carafe to pre-heat it while I am brewing.

I have the hand blown 5 cup, I use it every single day. Easy to clean I just pour the hot water from the kettle in it swirl it around and done. I have never had to do more than that. I prefer the square filters, don't care about bleached or unbleached but I seem to always have the unbleached ones.

Well it all came in today! Minus filters and coffee, so i'll get those 1st thing Sat morning!

Brian, why do you prefer the squares?

And thanks again for replying, Mick.

The squares are easier to pick up and remove after you are finished brewing as there are 2 points that stand up.

The round ones conform to the glass top.

Top Bottom