What's new

The CHEAPEST shaving cream possible

Greetings gentlemen,

Before you criticize me about what you will read in the following, please bear with me and offer opinions.

Also very soon, I will post a review on one of the cheapest str8s available!
So stay tuned!
This is my contribution to the members, so to speak.

Anyways, I have found on Ebay, a lot of 12 shaving cream tubes going for approximately 10$.

Even with shipping for me to Canada, it would cost me roughly 0.50$/Oz!

This deal is LATHERING, BUT, I have negative feelings about the quality of the product.

The important thing is that my feelings about the product are futile: I need facts to direct me.

Please feel free to tell me what you think or know.

Here is a link to the listings:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sh...g+cream&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Cheers mates.

Last edited:
Just buy some Kiss My Face. A store near me has it all the time for $6.50 for the 11oz bottle. It is well reviewed and many people like it. So if you are looking for the cheapest cream possible, try a tried and true one.

Just buy some Kiss My Face. A store near me has it all the time for $6.50 for the 11oz bottle. It is well reviewed and many people like it. So if you are looking for the cheapest cream possible, try a tried and true one.

You are right about that: kiss my face is good priced and good quality.
And the price of kiss my face is around 0.65$/Oz.

Thanks mate

He's saying the cream is brushless. It's designed to go on as kind of a slather, with no lathering involved. Barbasol made a popular brushless cream in the USA back in the day.

I've tried some brushless creams with mixed results. One was from Neutrogena, and it was OK at beard softening, but it was a sticky, razor clogging mess. While it was functional, the enjoyment meter was pegged to the left.

The other was a Chinese product called, IIRC, Gilcheny. It was one of the few shaving related items I've tried that was so abysmal that when I tried to bin it, the bathroom trash threw it back out at me.

If I took equal parts ear wax collected from a geriatric ward, whatever liquid was left after putting a Vole in a blender and random samples from a chemist's dumpster and then scented it lightly with the delightful fragrance that can only be described as "festering wound" then I would gladly take that foul concoction and merrily shave away before I ever let the unspeakable vileness that is Gilcheny brushless cream anywhere in my humble den again.

So go ahead and dabble in cheap brushless creams if you wish, for YMMV, and you may find that Earwax/Volesquish/Toxins/Laudable Pus absolutely agrees with you.

In the meantime, if cheap was the only factor, I can get all the Tom's of Maine shaving cream I can eat at $2.50 a tube, or TRSC creams for a bit more when Rite Aid puts it on sale, and they both provide enjoyable, quality lathers.

Are you implying that I should not go brushless?

Well don't worry because I already bought my boar hair brush: I will not go brushless (too boring)!

So thanks anyway.

I wasn't going to comment on this but this really chaps my hide. So I am going to be frank here. Mods, please feel free to delete my comment if you feel it is out of line.

To the OP. All the gentlemen was saying is that the shaving cream you referenced is a "Brushless Cream".

He was trying to help you (that's what B&B members do is help each other). No need for you be all jumpy and defensive and possibly insulting if that was your intention. If not, then my apologies in advance.

:lol: Alright, i've gotta chime in. These responses made me chuckle.

Brushless creams rarely respond to a brush (ie. king of shaves, american crew, cremo), but sometimes do (KMF). What I was saying is that if you're anything like majority of the folks here, you want a lathery goodness goo, per se. You mention you bought a brush, which with a brushless cream, would render that brush useless.

It wasn't an attack or implication that you shouldn't buy it. It was just something I thought was noteworthy before you pulled the trigger on something you may regret as a result of misunderstanding.

Cheers :thumbup1:

I wasn't going to comment on this but this really chaps my hide. So I am going to be frank here. Mods, please feel free to delete my comment if you feel it is out of line.

To the OP. All the gentlemen was saying is that the shaving cream you referenced is a "Brushless Cream".

He was trying to help you (that's what B&B members do is help each other). No need for you be all jumpy and defensive and possibly insulting if that was your intention. If not, then my apologies in advance.

I think you're overreacting. I think the OP is a newbie, and wasn't trying to be a smart alec. At least that's how I read it. Plus he's from Montreal, and they speak some other language there. ;)

Sometimes it tough to see if a response is said with an angry face or a smile. I think OP's response was a smile. :)

I think you're overreacting. I think the OP is a newbie, and wasn't trying to be a smart alec. At least that's how I read it. Plus he's from Montreal, and they speak some other language there. ;)

Sometimes it tough to see if a response is said with an angry face or a smile. I think OP's response was a smile. :)

Re-read the first post. He doesn't seem like an english 1 student to me :001_rolle

You have a very good point. I don't want to scare off newbies. For what it's worth the official language of Montreal is French however, most if not all speak English as the 2nd language.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Did I miss something? I didn't see any over-reaction or bad comments up here...

Anyways...

Back to the topic. Agreed, a brushless cream will not be my first choice. I bought one, by mistake, and didn't like it because I couldn't use the brush. Sure it works but, it's not the same. I ended up using it with a shaving cream or shaving soap to give it more glide. I was more than happy when I finished the tube...

However, yes, Kiss My Face (I didn't try it), is supposed to be an excellent product and I understand you can get different fragrances. If you are looking for a shaving soap, I think you will get a better investment in those. Things like Wilkinson Sword shaving stick is very good, tallow and cheap. I think it's fairly available at most pharmacies across Canada...

Arko shaving stick is another one, the Arko shaving creams are cheap too but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get in Montreal. I would do a trip to my local pharmacy and see what they have on the shelves. Google map doesn't allow me to do this... Yet...

I would recommend having a look at the Guide to cheap soaps and creams.

Finally, I would not recommend buying 12 tubes just yet. You could be buying 12 tubes of a product that does not work well or even worse, that you do not like. If you can get a sample, that would be best. If you can buy something in a very small quantity, that would be the second best option (i.e. 1 tube). I do not think that I will stop on 1 tube of shaving cream or 1 puck of soap. I need to try them. I found some amazing products but I cannot seem to stop there...

You have a very good point. I don't want to scare off newbies. For what it's worth the official language of Montreal is French however, most if not all speak English as the 2nd language.

For the ones who say I don't speak english properly.

As a matter of fact, English is my first language, contrary to others.

Also if you pay attention to the Ebay link, you will clearly see that it mentions "brushless".

Now, since I am not an imbecile nor obnoxious, I already knew beforehand that it is brushless.

Therefore, when the gentleman said that it's brushless, I thought that he had realized this before commenting.

I wasn't jumpy at all folks. Some of you unfortunately immediately assumed the negative.

Also, I did mention that I bought a brush, so by knowing this, you should have thought twice before you wrote. (for the guys who spoke badly about me).

But, let's all calm down because it was just a misunderstanding.

Anyways, thanks for all your help. I will not buy the creams.

I went and got a wilkinson sword shave soap (old school) as a starter.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Did I miss something? I didn't see any over-reaction or bad comments up here...

Anyways...

Back to the topic. Agreed, a brushless cream will not be my first choice. I bought one, by mistake, and didn't like it because I couldn't use the brush. Sure it works but, it's not the same. I ended up using it with a shaving cream or shaving soap to give it more glide. I was more than happy when I finished the tube...

However, yes, Kiss My Face (I didn't try it), is supposed to be an excellent product and I understand you can get different fragrances. If you are looking for a shaving soap, I think you will get a better investment in those. Things like Wilkinson Sword shaving stick is very good, tallow and cheap. I think it's fairly available at most pharmacies across Canada...

Arko shaving stick is another one, the Arko shaving creams are cheap too but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get in Montreal. I would do a trip to my local pharmacy and see what they have on the shelves. Google map doesn't allow me to do this... Yet...

I would recommend having a look at the Guide to cheap soaps and creams.

Finally, I would not recommend buying 12 tubes just yet. You could be buying 12 tubes of a product that does not work well or even worse, that you do not like. If you can get a sample, that would be best. If you can buy something in a very small quantity, that would be the second best option (i.e. 1 tube). I do not think that I will stop on 1 tube of shaving cream or 1 puck of soap. I need to try them. I found some amazing products but I cannot seem to stop there...

You are correct Luc.
Just read my above comment and you will see that I was actually very calm and within topic.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Good day

Also if you pay attention to the Ebay link, you will clearly see that it mentions "brushless".

Now, since I am not an imbecile nor obnoxious, I already knew beforehand that it is brushless.

Therefore, when the gentleman said that it's brushless, I thought that he had realized this before commenting.

I wasn't jumpy at all folks. Some of you unfortunately immediately assumed the negative.

Also, I did mention that I bought a brush, so by knowing this, you should have thought twice before you wrote. (for the guys who spoke badly about me).

Cheers.

Your point taken. After all, we are all here to enjoy the art of Wet Shaving and at the same time help each other out. With that said, I would like to PIF (paying it forward) a new tube of CO Bigelow and new puck of Ogallala Bay Run Shaving Soap for you to try.

If you would like to take me up on the offer, please pm me and I will send then to you.

- No hard feelings.

...I would like to PIF (paying it forward) a new tube of CO Bigelow and new puck of Ogallala Bay Run Shaving Soap for you to try...
- No hard feelings.

WHEW! I guess we're NOT in Bizarro World, and kudos to you for the gentlemanly gesture. B&B at it's best yet again!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You are correct Luc.
Just read my above comment and you will see that I was actually very calm and within topic.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Good day

Yup, no worries mate! :thumbup1:

Which Wilkinson did you get? The black or blue? I tried the black bowl many years ago, it was... grand-pa-scented-stuff... The Blue bowl is supposed to be better however, if you got the blue bowl, there's no tallow in it where the shave stick (blue) has tallow.

Cheers.

Why do I get the feeling you still don't understand my point? Oh well :tongue_sm

Your point taken. After all, we are all here to enjoy the art of Wet Shaving and at the same time help each other out. With that said, I would like to PIF (paying it forward) a new tube of CO Bigelow and new puck of Ogallala Bay Run Shaving Soap for you to try.

If you would like to take me up on the offer, please pm me and I will send then to you.

- No hard feelings.

What a great offer! Oh, I love this board. :001_wub:

BTW, OP, I'm going to yell something... TAKE HIM UP ON HIS OFFER!!! Proraso is sooooo amazing!! I love it, too. :001_wub:

Top Bottom