What's new

The Century Club

Hi folks, today's shave of the day for me was with a 1910 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. This set may have a few marks and what not, but all that gives it alot of character. I love these Shell Pillar Type handles. In fact I like this whole set. It has a lot of dings and gigs just like me. So here's the photo folks-

proxy.php

Have a great day all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks, today's shave of the day for me was with a 1910 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. This set may have a few marks and what not, but all that gives it alot of character. I love these Shell Pillar Type handles. In fact I like this whole set. It has a lot of dings and gigs just like me. So here's the photo folks-

proxy.php

Have a great day all!

Mormon Bridge -
Wow! That's a wonderful set!
My 1906 arrived today. Looks great. I'm not much with pictures but will do my best to post one. Can't wait to put it to work in the morning.

Hugh

This is the 1906 Single Ring that appeared today. Can't wait to use it tomorrow.....1906; Teddy Roosevelt was President and the Model T was just a glimmer in Henry Ford's eye.
P6190069.JPG

Thanks for the inspiration (and information!) from all you guys.

Hugh

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Not sure if I qualify. I do have an older Gillette Old style LC but no idea when it was made and tonight I shaved with my GEM Safety Razor Company "Use only with Damaskeene Blades" which is likely 1919 so may not qualify. Of the two the GEM is a thousand times nicer shave. Really surprised me just how nice it was.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Also this Autostrop:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Autostrop in the cardboard box is newer.​

Last edited:
This is the 1906 Single Ring that appeared today. Can't wait to use it tomorrow.....1906; Teddy Roosevelt was President and the Model T was just a glimmer in Henry Ford's eye. View attachment 797948

Thanks for the inspiration (and information!) from all you guys.

Hugh
Shaved with this 1906 Gillette for the second time. Spent some Quality Time during the shave thinking about the age long ago when the original owner must surely have thought that this was at least as good as sliced bread. I'm wondering if I ought to try shaving with as old a blade as I can find. I've read where some B&B brethren use vintage blades.....I wonder. Are the old blades good? Better than new? Or, is it just part of the ambiance?

Congrats on the Single Ring Hugh, it's gorgeous! :thumbup:

As far as vintage blades I've only tried a few. Here is what I know from my my limited experience and what I've read. The good ones are the stainless blades from the 60s and 70s. Older carbon Steel blades can be very hit and miss. I've heard a few reports of nice shaves, but more often than not the blades will have some rust or at least oxidation, and require stropping. The best I've been able to get out of carbon steel has been at least a little rough and mediocre results at best.

Congrats on the Single Ring Hugh, it's gorgeous! :thumbup:

As far as vintage blades I've only tried a few. Here is what I know from my my limited experience and what I've read. The good ones are the stainless blades from the 60s and 70s. Older carbon Steel blades can be very hit and miss. I've heard a few reports of nice shaves, but more often than not the blades will have some rust or at least oxidation, and require stropping. The best I've been able to get out of carbon steel has been at least a little rough and mediocre results at best.
Troy -
I'm glad to hear that using vintage blade may not be a good idea. I have a few dozen pre-1929's but I never had had the urge to try them out. I'm intrigued by your comment re the stainless blades from the '60's and '70s. In those days, before I was seduced by electrics, I used Wilkinson Swords - and, recently when I returned to wet shaving I bought a 100 Wilkinson Swords. Of course, my beard is likely to have changed since then but I have the impression that today's Wilkinson Swords aren't of the quality they once had. I'm wondering if there's a source for NOS Wilkinson Swords from the 60's and 70's.
In any case, I'm delighted with my Single Rings and, being a historian, I like to use them. My wife thinks I'm nuts but she's got a lot more than just my using old razors to make her case for that diagnosis.

Hugh

I hear the older blades are thicker, and some here like to shim their blades. I have never done that, but ask around if your interested.

Hi all, today I used a 1909 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. I wanted to share with the Century Club the photo of this beautiful razor set from shortly after the turn of the century.

proxy.php

Thanks for letting me share. God Bless, and have a great day.

Hi all, today I used a 1909 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition. I wanted to share with the Century Club the photo of this beautiful razor set from shortly after the turn of the century.

proxy.php

Beautiful razor Alan!

proxy.php

Magnificent! Wish it was in my rotation!

Today's SOTD, 1909 Gillette ABC Pocket Edition, Basketweave case, Shell pattern razor. One pass BBS!,

proxy.php

God Bless, and have a great day!

Top Bottom