What's new

The Century Club

I agree....aggressive. Have to be careful but shaves close! My best shaver I think is an Old Thick Cap from the 1920's. Not quite as aggressive as the Old with the thin cap.

Tuesday OCtober 2

Hitting 2nd, a 101 year old, 1918 Gillette Bulldog.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Le Pere Lucien Savon du Barbier (A+in my book)
Brush - M&F
Blade - Feather HI SS (4)
Razor - 1918 Gillette Bulldog
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Baum.BE A/S balm, Floid SE Mentolado Vigoroso A/S

Shave rating 3.5 of 5

First shave with this razor, was kind of show only before. I really like barber pole handles. This razor has a problem with alignment of the blade plus I noticed a very slight hairline crack in the handle. I will need to look for a replacement. I was in a bit of a rush so I didn’t want to play with the blade alignment - one side was mild, the other aggressive - so I did a careful one pass, DFS shave. This soap is great, lather and lubricity are superior.

Looking through my stash to see what other century old Gillette razors I can pull out and use for the remainder of the week.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thursday OCtober 10

Ok, so on Monday I started using my European made vintage razors and I'm going to continue with European made razors for the next week or so. Today, I shaved with my British single ring, British Patent #28763.02, serial #H105553. Based on the serial #, I think this was made around 1915 which makes it more than a century old. I'm not sure what the "H" in the serial # means or if the serial # is actually "serial". H could mean that it was made in Britain for another country like Germany or that it was made in Germany for Germany. I don't know where it was made or what country it was made for. All I know is I have it and it's a GREAT shaving razor for 104+/- years old.

Bowl/Scuttle - GP12
Soap - Cold River Soap Works Glide Morning Ghost
Brush - Dubl Duck #2 Boar
Blade - Feather HI SS (7)
Razor - 1915+/- Gillette British Single Ring
Post Shave - OSMA Pierre alum, Cold River Soap Works Morning Ghost A/S Splash

Shave rating 5 of 5

My hand is still bothering me so shaving is a bit of an issue; I'm not shaving every day. I get my stitches out tomorrow, maybe that will help - I can't get it wet, movement is still compromised, and there is still some pain. I can't stretch my skin in my neck area so I am having some problems there.

I did a 2 pass shave today. First pass, WTG was DFS and I could have stopped there. I really liked how this razor was shaving me. It felt very solid, a little blade feel which I liked. So I did a second pass XTG on my face but WTG again on my neck area as I wasn't going to try to get really close there as I can't stretch my skin there. Comparing this razor to my other single rings, this might be a half notch below my 1906 that I shaved with on 10/1 but shaved and felt better than the other single rings and the Bulldog. Seventh shave with this blade and it still feels ok. I thought the brush might be a little too floppy but it wasn't really. The soap and brush worked up a real nice lather. This soap and A/S has a real nice complex scent. Earthy and woodsy but at different times as I was shaving, I could smell some different scents, like it was changing a bit. I'm not sophisticated enough to know what each scent I picked up was but there were several different scents I smelled at different times during the shave. I hope the same happens with the A/S too. If it does, I'll look into getting the EdT (if they make one).

Overall, a really good shave. Have a few French razors that will be the razors for my next few shaves this weekend and next week.

Happy OCtober and great shaves everyone.
F211F50D-0FCA-42CD-964B-240920FB87AA.jpeg

I have a number of century old Gillette Old Types...a couple of ball-ends, and a couple of single-rings, and my latest, an ABC pocket edition:
ABC pocket edition.jpg

I thought these razors were destined to being Shave Den displays because I could never get a comfortable, irritation and nick free shave. That was until Open Comb October and my taking someone's advice on trying a steep shaving angle with the old Gillettes.

Suddenly these Old Types have moved from novelty items into my shave rotation. I've shaved with the ABC Pocket Edition for the past two days and the shaves have be stellar. The weight and balance of this razor makes it a joy to use.

As for this particular razor, the date code is C 4533. It really is remarkable how good this shaves.

By "steep shaving angle" do you mean making the skin/blade angle closer to 90 degrees - right angle to the face? I love my single rings but must be careful as they're shaving close! I like your ABC Pocket Edition.

By "steep shaving angle" do you mean making the skin/blade angle closer to 90 degrees - right angle to the face? I love my single rings but must be careful as they're shaving close! I like your ABC Pocket Edition.

Yes, I think we mean the same thing. You reference the blade at a 90 degree angle to the face. By steep I mean the handle of the razor is pointing toward the floor...not straight up and down, but definitely the opposite of riding the cap, which is how I was using it before.

Right! That's how I do it - first time I tried I looked like a murder victim. Since then I've developed a bit more technique and get a great shave. The later 1920s razors had a thicker cap which made shaving easier and could be done with less care but a bit of smoothness was sacrificed. The oldies sure are better than the new stuff - when I see ads for modern razors I confess I feel superior in my knowledge of what a really fine razor is.

Hi all, today’s Century Club shave.
1905 Gillette DR (model 100).
1940 Gillette Blue Blade.

proxy.php

[emoji3522]

Good Morning. Today’s Century Club SOTD.

1909 Gillette Pocket Edition Floral set.
1956 Gillette Blue Blade.

proxy.php

[emoji3522]

Very nice! Just this morning I was shaving with a Old Thick Cap and was thinking that now that it's 2020 it too falls into the category of Century Club worthy. Actually, I like it better than I do my legitimate pre-1920 Old models. I guess the thick cap makes it a bit less aggressive. Very nice mug you have, too!

Top Bottom